Not diagnosed but awaiting

Options

Comments

• Twiggy34B
    Twiggy34B Member Posts: 37
    Options
    @onemargie, i asked for surgical removal too and no go. Will be exploring some options but in mean time will just focus on the core biopsy on the one he wants to focus on. I will make sure the results go to the gp as well. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    You will need the family history for the genetics people but he can refer. But don't worry your GP can regardless. The outcome doesn't need to be known right now but be good to know for the future. I hope you have results and a plan soon. Its not uncommon for women to have benign tumors removed so ask sgain about that. 
  • Twiggy34B
    Options
    @primek, i will be asking again and even going to ask my gp for another breast surgeon. My guess is this current breast surgeon is a general surgeon also. He is gastrointestinal, breast and larposopic surgeon which tells me he is all over place and not focused on breast (i might be wrong). 

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @Twiggy34B my surgeon was a general surgeon and I unfortunately ended up with a bigger scar and more painful suture removal than I should of. 
  • Twiggy34B
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel you poor lady sounds awful!. Yeah this definitely has me thinking double thinking. Booked to see my gp next week for a good chat. Shes unfortunately popular. I had good chat with a lovely lady from the bcna nurse hotline also gave me some tips last night also. Its just a yucky tricky situation.

Hubby wants to come in with me tomorow for core biopsy. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Do you want him to come with you?
  • Twiggy34B
    Options
    Not sure. Yes to squeeze his hand and break it. No because he is male. He said he wants to come and support. He was meant to come in with me to surgeons office yesterday but had to pick all 3 out of 4 kids up from school for the appt as it was half an hour drive. So he had to mind kids while i went in. So he felt he should come in with me for biopsy. I feel i nees to do this one alone as its private i guess. Have you all had someone with you?
  • kmakm
    Options
    I had someone with me for all my early appointments, either my husband or a close friend when he wasn't available due to work or kids. I took them for support, and because I knew that sometimes you don't 'hear' what's being said because of shock. My husband was with me for my biopsy but was not allowed in the room when it was actually being done. There was a doctor, an ultrasound technician and a breastcare nurse. Once all the 'news' is broken and everything became routine I went to everything on my own. It's really an individual choice.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options

@Twiggy34B .  I would definitely chosen a different surgeon in hindsight but I started off with a lumpectomy which was perfect and the partial mastectomy was as expected.  It was the full mastectomy with lymph node removal that he stuffed up and then he told me I had stage 4 cancer when I didn't - needless to say I now have a new surgeon. 

I took my husband to all appointments apart from my latest oncologist ones as they are quite routine.  It is completely up to you though - if you feel you need to do it by yourself its your choice.  He could always meet you afterwards?? xoxox

• Twiggy34B
    Options
    I will have hubby with me tomorrow because really hes been with me to all appointments except yesterday and i wished he was with me and maybe then the surgeon would listen and agree to all tumors be looked at. I agree @kmakm, i dont always hear eerything the doctor has to say and sometimes i forget what to ask and my husband will either remind me or ask on my behalf. He has been great. Definitely worth having him with me. Hopefully they let him in tomorrow in the room. 

@Kiwi Angel wow you sure have been through alot havent you. Do you feel this time you have thr right new surgeon this time? Im not sure how im going to fid the right second opinion but hopefully wont have to go through more than once or twice. 

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,614
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Twiggy34B
    Like @kmakm - I had my sister in law and husband sit in on all my early appointments before & after surgery (tho Hubby was totally silent & probably couldn't hear it all!  LOL) - for support and 'extra ears' - like Kate, I was 'on my own' for all the actual procedures - core biopsy, radiation etc.  

Your boob WILL hurt after the core biopsy tho - so it could be good having someone to drive you home ..... 

More recently (because we live on the coast & SIL is in Sydney) I've gone on my own to all appointments (as hubby is quite deaf & not really 'up with' my ongoing treatment) - and I've not always asked enough questions - specially on my first Onc appointment last week! DUH!  Having someone with you really does help.  You could ask if the Breast Cancer Nurse could sit in - I am sure that could be arranged & she would be a wealth of knowledge too, on what to mention?  (Or talk to her before going to the appointment re what to ask?)

With any of your appointments - Write a list of ANYTHING that pops into your head in the weeks/days leading up to it .... take it with you.  Ask the questions.

All the best - thinking of you xx

• kmakm
    Options
    Good advice from @arpie. I keep a list of questions on my phone, in the memo section. My phone is always with me so the moment a query pops into my head I jot it down.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    @Twiggy34B - she seems quite good and a friend has friends who see her and find her great.  Next thing will be the whole reconstruction debacle that I have to look into.
  • Twiggy34B
    Options
    So many great advices! Knew this site is good. 

@arpie i definitely need to write things down qurstions, appts and not to mention what I want. I can imagine me sitting there with pen and note pad like a secretary looking all serious. Perhaps the surgeon might take me serious then ha ha. Whipping out phones..i dont do well. I see older people do it much better than me though its amazing!
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel For the majority of people reconstruction is successful and makes them happy. It's to early to call for me, but while I'm having some bumps along the way, so far I have no regrets about my DIEP. It's hard, but as my BS said, greatest risk for the greatest reward.