Well done @Flaneuse, well done. Phew!
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    Options
    Yay for you Fran !@flaneuse
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Call it what you want, fizzy plonk is good. Unless it's that awful sweet shit. I mean, really, there is no excuse for making crap wine in this country. Well done. Xxx
  • Blondy
    Blondy Member Posts: 238
    Options
    @Zoffiel. The sweeter the better for me. I usually end up drinking all of mine because everyone else drinks dry vinegar. Good for me .Lol  I always get gifted the old dry white wine which I end up taking to other people's tables. I did request a bottle of Bailey's for Christmas .Yummy. 

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    If you like sweet wine and baileys @Blondy try a decent liqueur Muscat. Its like boozy fruitcake in a bottle.

I jokingly call it medicinal Muscat, but that has a sad side story. Most of my dear dead friends have liked a tipple. Some have had spectacular dismounts but others have lingered around long enough to have last drinks. When the appetite for rum or fizz has departed, a little bit of cold Muscat in a crystal glass seems to hit the spot. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I've never tried Muscat chilled @Zoffiel. Will give it a go next time I have a bottle.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    If you really like sweet wine, try Pedro Ximenez. It's a sweet sherry tasting like Christmas, I used it for steeping fruit for an ice cream addition for sweet tooths. Personally I like my bubbly brut, but each to her own. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Afraser I like my bubbles brut. Brut de brut. The drier the better. Mmmmm...
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I'm a bit of a dry wine fan, too.  I never liked Muscat as too sweet but then again, no-one ever suggested chilled.  A bit of Rum Port used to hit the spot, though.  Not sure that you can get it these days.
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    Brut de brut is my preference for bubbles. I use Pedro Ximinez in a superb Spanish slow-cooked beef cheeks recipe.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Morning Howlers,  nothing like a good wine conversation first thing in the morning. :) You're not allowed to say anything bad about Muscat...that's my surname!  We have old Muscat bottles hanging around the place just because.  Nobody drinks it here but it looks cool considering.
    Have a great day all.
    xoxoxo
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @Flaneuse I am 1/4 Ross. Hiya Cuz lol.
    My bugbear is when I complain about no energy due to hormone therapy and a heart condition due to a chemo reaction my mother poo poos it with "Oh that was years ago, you have got to move past it and get on with your life, get out and DO stuff, you will never get over it sitting around moping, Get out there!"
    Little does she know that an atrial fibrillation feels like you just ran a marathon and the feeling lasts for hours. I am very careful now not to complain about anything any more to my mother. I comes in to this forum to do it. :D 
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @Brenda5 Hi back Cuz. Good genes, the Rosses, apart from the cancer!
    It must be really distressing to hear that sort of thing from your mother. Family can be cruel. Maybe your condition scares your mum too - makes her feel old, and she's rejecting that feeling through rejecting acceptance of your condition. It's not about us, it's for themselves. They just don't want to have to deal with our "diminishment". I'm learning this within this forum too - this is the safe place to complain. 
    Both my kids are wanting me to regain my functioning, for different reasons. My son was blabbing to his in-laws yesterday about wanting to take me with his partner & kids (now 4 & 2) to New Caledonia for a week's holiday. "Mum will be able to talk French with the locals". Oh yes and Mum would be a good holiday child-minder too! It's not about wanting to give me a treat; it's about making himself seem like a good son. Actually he hasn't specifically said he would pay for it all.
    Daughter wants to plan a long-distance trek together (the way we used to) on an "easy" track in NZ. With my non-BC-related achilles tendonitis and tear, I'm not even able to do more than half an hour on a flat path at the moment, and the GP says I shouldn't be doing that. I'd LOVE to be able to trek again, but I don't want to feel pressured to reach someone else's timeline.