Newstart Centerlink MD's?

Brenda5Brenda5 Burrum Heads, QldMember Posts: 2,018
Somehow Centerlink are now medical doctors as they will not accept a second three month doctors certificate to say I cannot work and they say I am to be booked in to see a disability job provider even though they refuse to pay me a disability pension. I left in tears. 


  • HendrixHendrix Member Posts: 224
    @Brenda5 that’s strange I’ve provided 3x3month certificates so far and touch wood they’ve been accepted. Speak to your doctor and see if there is anything they can do...good luck xx
  • cranky_grannycranky_granny Penrith NSWMember Posts: 95
    Good old Centrelink. Ask to see a social worker I hate that they have to follow the rules to a T  .  The rule is that while you being treated you can’t get a disability pension but as for the 2nd drs certificate I’ve never heard of that one it must be new. My brother spent several years on medical certificates then had to fight to go the disability he had to be declared  all treatment concluded and he was never going to get better only worse 
  • jennyssjennyss Western NSWMember Posts: 315
    Dear @Brenda5 , I submitted my fourth Centrelink medical certificate on 12th December and it has been accepted. It is only till 15th Feb when I do hope to be fit to return to work. I think that suggestion to see a Centrelink social worker is a good one. Have you had a letter from Centrelink, or is it just verbal from one officer at this stage? I hope you get this sorted - it doesn't seem right. Best wishes from jennyss
    ps can you see my new profile picture is a rumple bear??
  • Summerhill38Summerhill38 Member Posts: 754
    Hi @Brenda5
    Goodness, you do have constant Centrelink issues - it is one fight after another adding to your stress.
    I am with @Zoffiel - go to another office as you might get someone with 1/2 a decent caring brain.
    I recently fought and won - after several phone calls, visits and forms I ended up with a ''compensation form'' which I was not going to do but then thought why bloody not as I have always done the right thing.
    In the end it was many hours of their staff work in several offices and several trees cut down with the letters and forms but it was the principle as I was initially given incorrect information by one officer.
    Do what you gotta do.  Good luck.
    Summer   :)
  • onemargieonemargie queenslandMember Posts: 1,180
    Hi there Brenda I was talking to a friend of mine who has been on Newstart due to her mental health issues for a couple years and doesn’t qualify for dsp either and she asked me whether your gp ticked the box that said “exaserbated” she said that’s the one that’s really important that gets ticked apparently.  I think there is an ombudsman you can complain to also and what about involvomg your local mp.  Hope this helps. Margie. 
  • FlaneuseFlaneuse BrisbaneMember Posts: 351
    @Brenda5  That is ridiculous. Phone your federal MP's electorate office immediately. (07) 4152 0744 His name is Keith Pitt - National Party. Request his staff to intervene on your behalf. If they don't respond, get back to me. Fran x
  • Brenda5Brenda5 Burrum Heads, QldMember Posts: 2,018
    Thanks Fran. I will wait and see what this disability job provider interview is when they get around to making it and see what happens. The centerlink guy seemed to think that they might assess me and go in to bat for me when they find I cannot work. He must be living in dream world I think. Why would a job provider getting paid to try and get me work be interested in flicking me back to get a disability pension?
  • FlaneuseFlaneuse BrisbaneMember Posts: 351
    @Brenda5 If you're comfortable with that wait and that uncertainty, that's your choice. However, this should not be happening and you shouldn't have to tolerate the uncertainty. The Centrelink guy needs to understand what the process SHOULD be. It should be very straightfoward. If you have to wait longer than you want to, or if you don't get the result you deserve, don't hesitate to take the political route. That's what electorate offices are there for - to SERVE you. They have the power to work wonders. I know one electorate officer who got an 80 year-old blind woman's electricity restored within a couple of hours when the energy company wouldn't respond. Remember, I'm willing to draw on some government sources if necessary. Fran
  • Brenda5Brenda5 Burrum Heads, QldMember Posts: 2,018
    He did lodge the second doctors certificate under protest so I am hoping someone else higher up with half a brain will accept it despite his silly one certificate rule.
  • RapunzelRapunzel AdelaideMember Posts: 32
    Hi @Brenda5 , I had a string of stupid CentreStink things happen to me too. I sat down and wrote a really long, very polite, but firm letter and copied it to the CentreStink complaints department, the office of the Minister for Human Services and my local federal pollie. I tried to keep to facts about the numerous errors and didn't get emotionally stroppy until the last paragraph. It got results. I got a phone call from the Minister's office, I refer to it as the Fairy Godmother Department. The rather nice woman fell over herself apologising for the CentreStink errors and rotten attitude. She accepted the medical certificate I had uploaded while we were talking. They don't encourage you to go into an office here in Radelaide, you have to go online and then sit on a phone for hours to talk to someone if it goes wrong.  The point is, push back, politely but firmly. If they cannot provide an immediate appointment for the capacity assessment they need to honour your certificate. I'm with all the ladies above, (onya @Flaneuse ), marshall your thoughts, write it all down, and push back. you don't need this shit.
  • AfraserAfraser MelbourneMember Posts: 1,625
    Well done Rapunzel, way to go with all sorts of organisations that have lost their service charter! Put it in writing, calmly, without aggression but with every point carefully covered, send copies and don't forget the local paper if you don't get a reply in a reasonable time (a fix may take a bit longer). The pen still has power! 
  • nonkyboynonkyboy IngleburnMember Posts: 186
    @Brenda5 I’ve been on a disability pension for many years for arthritis, heart problems and the aftermath of thyroid cancer. It’s certainly a lot harder to get the Disabilty pension nowadays however when I applied I saw a Centrelink person with all my filled in paperwork and I was also sent to a disability job provider. I’ve since found out it’s routine to do that as they then can tick their boxes to say you’ve been seen and are unfit for work. With8n a few days of serin* the job provider I was changed over from the parenting payment I was on to a disability pension. I’ve never had an issue since. My file must have been marked permanent disability as lots of peo0e I know who are on it have had reviews. The point I’m trying to make is don’t give up. Go to the job provider and let them interview you and see that you can’t work. It may just be the next step in getting that pension that you have been applying for and getting knocked back on. I’m pleased he accepted the certificate. Why he would think you can only put one in is beyond me. All the best of luck. Lesley xx
  • wendy_h67wendy_h67 Member Posts: 422
    Hi jennyss Just have to say, I love the bear ! Lol
  • Jax1964Jax1964 Member Posts: 39
    You need to be aware of your rights and quote them to Centrelink staff.
    There is a huge difference between Newstart with Exemption and Disability.
    Both Dis and NwE require a Job Assessment. Many people with a permanent disability are quite capable of a few hours work so they are automatically being sent to Job Assessment.
    Newstart with Exemption requires a doctors cert to say how long you are EXEMPT from work. When I had a broken leg it was a standard 6 weeks - I still had to turn up at Job Assessment on crutches. She ticked the box as exempt and sent me on my way.
Sign In or Register to comment.