Are you Caring for a Partner & Parents with Dementia/Alzheimers

Options

Comments

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,537
    Options
    You shouldn’t have to get used to this @arpie. You shouldn’t have to get used to hard times and heartache. I am wishing you and end to all this sadness, to be replaced by happiness. You really deserve it 🍀🍀🍀🕉💟
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,380
    Options
    @arpie Love you girl. Take care
    Sending you Teddy Bear Hugs  Bear hug quotes Teddy bear quotes Teddy bear  hug
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
      Sorry but WTF Cancer is a fuck ... Arpie you have a support group here bigger than any family.... reach out if you need to  sorry you are going through this .... 
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 924
    Options
    Dear @arpie I am so sorry to hear of this.  Sending you big hugs. Xxx
  • Caz1
    Caz1 Member Posts: 382
    Options
    @arpie my friend, I’m so sorry that this has happened.  What to say.......I’m thinking of you both, take care lovely  :'(
    sending hugs and positive vibes your way
    Caz x
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,595
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hubby has started oral chemo this week - if he tolerates that OK without big side effects, they may add a weak solution of Oxplatin to the next session in Mid March.  If the tablets DO affect him, we will drop the dose & not do the Oxyplatin.

We are still waiting for results on the sequencing - won't get them for another 3 weeks at least.  I am feeling better in myself now that treatment has started.  We had his twin brother visit last week with our nephew & they both enjoyed that.  He has dementia too - so it was  a bit like herding cats when we were out & about!

Damn!  He is Her-, so can't go on Herceptin or Avastin.  For the immunotherapy drug Keytruda to be 'on the table' he needs both MSI and PDL1 levels to be HIGH!  But his MSI is low  :( .... so now waiting for the PDL1 results which aren't covered by Medicare, so costing $250 to be done, but well worth it. Keytruda isn't covered by PBS for Gastric cancer yet (it is for Lung & Melanoma tho.)  

He is still 'fine' in himself - feeling no pain (which is amazing all the medicos) - it is his dementia that is blocking the pain signals, so at least there is ONE bonus to having dementia!  Oh - and he's already forgotten the diagnosis, so that is the other bonus of dementia.

Last night Q&A on the ABC covered a lot of dementia issues - particularly in aged care centres - but the last question about the right to choose your Own End of Life options brought many to tears.  

Check it out on iView. It also covers the current Parliament House rape issue - so skip to half way if you don’t want to see that bit . 
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-26/dementia-patient-leaves-q+a-panel-on-aged-care-in-tears/13194334?utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf243409790&utm_campaign=abc_australia&utm_source=m.facebook.com&sf243409790=1&fbclid=IwAR0dOf7N08WmXM5AkD5pW9sTB7jBSjsEnsrMOLxwfg1KrybU6UMUfzoLukc
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,380
    Options
    Hi @arpie If hubby goes on Keytruda, watch out for loss of voice. If his body rejects it then that is a side effect. My FIL was doing really well on it for over six weeks until his body rejected it. He couldn't talk for months even though they took him off it straight away. Then again, that may be a blessing.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,595
    Options
    Thanks @Blossom1961 ... will keep an eye out for that if we go down that road xx take care xx
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,537
    Options
    I hope the oral chemo is effective @arpie 🤞🤞. I’m glad he’s not in pain, at the least. Also great he got to spend some time with his brother and nephew. 
    What a tough situation to be in. Let me know if you need a chat ♥️
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Hang in there @arpie
  • Caz1
    Caz1 Member Posts: 382
    Options
    Sending positive thoughts,vibes ,prayers your way xx