Someone to chat with

Options

Comments

• grandma57
    grandma57 Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie...that's wonderful news and no chemo or radium...how marvelous!

Great idea of joining a breast support group...this should help you immensely.

I actually had cancer in all bar 1 of my lymph nodes and like I said...I'm still here 8 years later. I believe technology has come a long way over the years and it's proof when so many women today are coming through the other side from having breast cancer.

I too am very happy for you!

grandma 57

• Debbie J
    Debbie J Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes it is good news, better than I thought it would be. Now have to wait and see the Onocologist.Has anyone just had the drug Tamoxifen and what are the side affedcts?. Still very sore not sleeping due to pain, have taken sleeping pills and pain relief but still waking up with pain. Sleeping with pillow under my arm ,but my chest feels like I am being bitten by green ants. Also is anyone taking alternative mediicine as well ?.

• Debbie J
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes it is good news, better than I thought it would be. Now have to wait and see the Onocologist.Has anyone just had the drug Tamoxifen and what are the side affedcts?. Still very sore not sleeping due to pain, have taken sleeping pills and pain relief but still waking up with pain. Sleeping with pillow under my arm ,but my chest feels like I am being bitten by green ants. Also is anyone taking alternative mediicine as well ?.

• Debbie J
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have just finished the book. You must be so proud of your mum ,she is a real inspiration. Pain not much better, using pillow. Hope all is going well with you.  Debbie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi JJoy

They are a wonderful group of women who support each other tremendously.  They have been a wonderful support to my Mum and I too - My mum has come down to be with me for parts of the treatment and she receives calls daily from someone in the group.  It is an ongoing process to see if they can find a cause for so many women contracting the disease while working in the same workplace - to date they don't have an answer and of course the workplace has been abandoned.  A very sad story all up indeed but an amazing group of women all the same.

Amanda 

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie

I am so pleased you got good pathology results! I'm sorry you are still in some pain.  I didn't use anything alternative - though a friend had sent me some lavender calming balm to put on my temples which I found soothing. I used the pillow between my arm but also found it useful to sleep more upright on about 3 pillows!  

I hope you get some more pain relief soon.  

I am very proud of my Mum.  She soldiered on (somewhat stubbornly at times) through her BC well and truly but that is her nature.  We are a little different in that respect but I am glad I have her to look up to and as a survivor.  

I'm ok - the chemo knocked me out well and truly yesterday but I feel I'm on the upswing today. :-)

Amanda xxx

• JJoy
    JJoy Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well done, am glad for you! x J

• JJoy
    JJoy Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well done, am glad for you! x J

• grandma57
    edited March 2015
    Options

I took Tamoxifen a few years back and the only side effect I remember was having lots of hot flushes and being very tired. But it most likely has changed over the years and may affect everyone differently.

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015
    Options

HI Debbie

So pleased to hear your results are so good it can only get better from here! I started tamoxifen about a month ago and am happy to say nothing much has happened to me. I already had hot flushes from the chemo induced menopause and the flushes or flashes as I like to call them have not really got worse. I took a tip from a blog I read here and took half a tablet for 2 weeks before I took the full dose the oncologist was ok with that. It may have eased me into it better ! Also the oncologist recommended taking the tablet at night she said that sometimes you can get headaches and it would be better to have it in my sleep!! I haven't had any headaches yet.

Glad to hear you have a McGrath nurse I can't believe the breast nurse at the clinic has never responded. Support groups are great for being able to talk about everything you feel you can't always say at home, as they  know exactly how you feel, what you've been through. I took a while to do this and am enjoying the new friends I have made.

Good luck for the week ahead and hope the pain improves soon.

Sarah x

• grandma57
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes I did change my diet.  I began to eat much healthier by having lots of veges, meat, fish and chicken dishes and also fruit every day. I cut out saturated fats and processed packaged foods. I also take women's multi-vitamins. I don't very often drink coke or the like either. I have got use to drinking green tea and lots of water.

I found just being sensible about food was a good kick start and I don't over-eat. Mind you though while I was going through chemo I had to snack all day because it made me feel better with a full stomach. Then slowly as I became well after the chemo stopped I began to eat less. I put on a bit of weight the first year of being diagnosed with breast cancer but I'm back to my normal weight.

I'm feeling healthy and live life to the max.

Cheers for now,

grandma 57

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie

I got a great book out of the library after I was diagnosed which gave me lot of information and insight into the food we eat . The book is written by a doctor who had /has a brain tumour and his lifestyle changes etc he made I found it very insightful as it was backed up by research based studies. It's called "anticancer a new way of life" by Dr. David Servan - Schreiber the ISBN is 978-1-921372-08-7. A good friend of mine actually bought me the book as a gift and I dip into it quite a lot. It's well worth a read. I haven't modified my diet that much but do drink less alcohol, coffee and soft drinks. I am a big water drinker and when it gets colder will be back on the green tea! I try to eat grass fed meat and eat lots of veg and fruit.

Check out your library.

Sarah

• Debbie J
    edited March 2015
    Options

It will be 2 weeks this Wednesday since I had my operation.  After the op I was sent home on  the following Monday. I was told to see my surgeon the following week , So I left with no idea what to do , how long should  I wear the chest binder , should I be wearing the bra I was given before hand , no pain management , so many questions, lot of emotions. I have just found out that a Jane McGrath breast nurse has just been allocated to my area , Have left a message for her to ring me, if only she was around 2 weeks ago.  Today I booked in for an appointment for a corrective massage, which can help me with my pain and more movement in my arm.  Today I am feeling more positive , must say it has been such a long time since I can say I feel that way. The journey has so many bumps along the road , yet with all the support from you lovely ladies that I now call my angels, have helped me so much. Debbie

• Debbie J
    edited March 2015
    Options

It will be 2 weeks this Wednesday since I had my operation.  After the op I was sent home on  the following Monday. I was told to see my surgeon the following week , So I left with no idea what to do , how long should  I wear the chest binder , should I be wearing the bra I was given before hand , no pain management , so many questions, lot of emotions. I have just found out that a Jane McGrath breast nurse has just been allocated to my area , Have left a message for her to ring me, if only she was around 2 weeks ago.  Today I booked in for an appointment for a corrective massage, which can help me with my pain and more movement in my arm.  Today I am feeling more positive , must say it has been such a long time since I can say I feel that way. The journey has so many bumps along the road , yet with all the support from you lovely ladies that I now call my angels, have helped me so much. Debbie

• Debbie J
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yesterday I went and had a remedial massage to get more movement in my arm and for the pain. Wow what a difference, can move my arm more and not as sore. My husband came along with his note book and wrote it down , so he can do it at home for me. I can not beleive it has been 2 weeks today since my operation , things have moved so fast. Tonight I am going to dinner to meet my support group in my area. Today is a good day. Love to you all Debbie. xxxxxxxxxxxx