Someone to chat with

Options
Debbie J
Debbie J Member Posts: 322
edited March 2011 in Day to day

Is there any one on line that I could chat with. Only just diagnosed and would like to chat with others that have been through this ordeal.

Comments

• Di F
    Di F Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options

Know what you are going through. I was diagnosed end July last year, have just finished chemo in Jan. so all is fairly fresh in my mind if you want to fire any questions away. Di

• Debbie J
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Di ,

At  this stage so very depressed. See my surgeon on Thursday Dr Ralph Gourlay in Newcastle.

Was told only last Thurdsay. Was told I have 2 lumps plus lymph gland also came back possitive for cancer cells. Not eating and very sick on the stomach. I am 53 years old. Also have really bad pain down my arm is this normal.?

• Loretta d
    Loretta d Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie, Welcome to the site I'm sure you will find lots of information & support here. . .I certainly have! I am faily new to this too as I was diagnosed 14th Jan & had surgery, right Mastectomy & lymph nodes removed, on 1st Feb. I start chemo this Thursday. It is all a big shock at first & feels very surreal. Everything happens so fast & it is hard to take everything in. Did your Dr give you the guide for women with early breast cancer? I found this to be a great source of information. It is also included in the my Journey kit that you can order from this site. That is also great. Do you have access to a breast care nurse? They are wonderful & can answer a lot of your questions & support you through all this. I don't have any answers regarding your arm but  your surgeon should.

Wishing you all all the best.

Loretta xx

• Di F
    Di F Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options

At first it is very overwhelming and the whole world seems to fall apart. Once you see your surgeon and then get a plan, you can take each step as it comes. There is a lot they can do these days for breast cancer and so don't think this is the end of the road. The waiting is the hard part. Your feelings are quite normal, it is such a shock so don't try to be brave. I'm not sure about the arm pain but sounds like you may have had some tests to lymph nodes (which I didn't have until my surgery) so not sure if this has something to do with the pain.

• Samantha Cunnington
    Samantha Cunnington Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome Debbie..to the network of amazing women..trying to 'digest' all this information can be very overwhelming but hang in there, everything settles down once u get ur treatment plan started..the dizziness of stuff going around in ur head is normal and u think its never going to stop..it will..then u will emerge out the other side of this strong and sure and healthy..there are many women here who can attest to this.

Ditto to what has already been said to you here..these are amazing women who truly understand the feelings ur going thru, so come here whenever u like to ask questions (they are NO stupid ones either)..all of us have/had different treatment plans so there will be someone here u can really relate to..u can call the cancer council helpline (13 11 20) direct and they can 'pair' u up with a one on one person for 'live' chat/talk..

Hope to see u here soon..good luck

Sam :)

• Dancing with Ned 2002
    Dancing with Ned 2002 Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie, Welcome to the BCNA on-line group.  I'm sure you will find the members of this network extremely helpful and willing to answer any questions you may have.  All the best with your appointment on Thursday, we will all be thinking of you:)

A gentle hug
    Sharon x

• Dancing with Ned 2002
    Dancing with Ned 2002 Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie, Welcome to the BCNA on-line group.  I'm sure you will find the members of this network extremely helpful and willing to answer any questions you may have.  All the best with your appointment on Thursday, we will all be thinking of you:)

A gentle hug
    Sharon x

• Debbie J
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Loretta,

What stage was your cancer and did you have it in more than one place?,

Debbie

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie,

So sorry to hear your bad news.We all know that "sick to the stomach"feeling when you get the bc diagnosis.The first time I got diagnosed I could hardly eat and felt shaky.Once I knew the plan and I could prepare then I was abit calmer. That was 7yrs ago and I had a lumpectomy,full node clearance and radiation.It came back in the same breast and same spot last year and I had a mastectomy and chemo. It's a tough journey emotionally and physically,no matter what age.You need lots of support from your loved ones-you can't do it on your own.I'm not sure what's going on with your arm,those sort of pains are usually after your surgery- tell your doctor.The waiting and not knowing is the worst part and Thursday is a few days away.I can remember asking the chemist for an over the counter something to help me sleep until I saw my surgeon.I am here anytime you want to chat.

Tonya xx

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie,

So sorry to hear your bad news.We all know that "sick to the stomach"feeling when you get the bc diagnosis.The first time I got diagnosed I could hardly eat and felt shaky.Once I knew the plan and I could prepare then I was abit calmer. That was 7yrs ago and I had a lumpectomy,full node clearance and radiation.It came back in the same breast and same spot last year and I had a mastectomy and chemo. It's a tough journey emotionally and physically,no matter what age.You need lots of support from your loved ones-you can't do it on your own.I'm not sure what's going on with your arm,those sort of pains are usually after your surgery- tell your doctor.The waiting and not knowing is the worst part and Thursday is a few days away.I can remember asking the chemist for an over the counter something to help me sleep until I saw my surgeon.I am here anytime you want to chat.

Tonya xx

• Debbie J
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Tonya,

At the momment taking valium to get through the day and sleeping pills at night . Thursday seems so far away.

Debbie

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie

That initial diagnosis is such a shock and we all deal with it so differently.  I was told at the radiologist when I had gone for a mammogram to look at a lump my GP though was fibrous - I dropped my son to kinder, went for a mammogram and by that night was in a breast surgeon's office discussing surgery and testing to see if the cancer was elsewhere in my body!  That was only 2 1/2 weeks ago and already seems like a lifetime ago.  I have had a mastectomy, axilla clearance and am booked to start chemo on 2 weeks.  I have lost weight but I am sleeping and eating a little again.  Different things become positives - it's not anywhere else, there is a treatment, outcomes are so good now, we caught it early by chance etc...  I wandered around numb for days - please be kind to yourself.  I hope the medication is helping. I too started to feel pain in my armpit in the days before my mammogram - I think this is normal if you have some lymph node involvement.  I really feel for you - this network is a wonderful place to vent and find information.  There are so many wonderful women here to support you. 

Amanda 

• Loretta d
    Loretta d Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie,  it is stage IIIC mainly due to the amount of lymph nodes that were cancerous 12+/20. It was in more than one spot, some invasive & other parts dcis. My grade was 1(low).

Loretta xx

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

I second what Tonya said about taking someone with you - I got myself a little notebook and would write questions in the middle of the night and then my husband was scribe during the meetings with the surgeon and also make sure we asked all of those questions that we both had come up and I'd written down.  I too found distraction a good thing.  Thinking of you.

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie

I don't have anything extra to add to what has been said. I know what you are going through. I had a mastectomy last July followed by chemo and radiation. At the time it was a bit sureal but now it seems a long time ago and am getting ready to go back to work in a few weeks.

Just to let you know I am thinking of you and good luck on Thursday.

Sarah x