Someone to chat with

Options

Comments

• bubby68
    bubby68 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie,

Hang in there.  I am 3 and 1/2 weeks out of surgery.  I myself have lots of fluid build up which i have to get drained twice weekly by needle.  I find the fluid more uncomfortable than anything.  I can tell you the pain under the arm is still there but it has improved. 

As for the bra.  I tried to wear mine straight away but the fluid build up made it too painful so my breast care nurse suggested I purchase one of those tank tops from target or kmart which have the band inside the top part.  Not the best bra but I found it gave some support.  I could still insert my padded insert they gave me and it was far more comfortable than the bra.  Am pleased to say I am back in my bra now although some days I still revert back to the tank top.

If you are in too much pain I would go to your local gp and ask for something a bit stronger.  I had something I took mainly at night - just to help me sleep.

Hang in there Debbie.  Like you I am still in a daze by the whole process but am hoping that talking to people such as yourself going through the same emotions etc will help me.

Hang in there.  It can only get better!! 

Wendy xx

• Debbie J
    Debbie J Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes talking to to all these amazing ladies, have helped me so much. I can be honest how I feel and there is always somone to help. I still feel it is just one big nightmare and hope I wake up.  Thank you for your support.  Debbie xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Debbie J
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to help, you have so much going on yourself. Hope all goes well with the chemo.

Rang the breast nurse, left a message for her to ring. Take care Debbie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie

Glad to hear you are out of hospital and recovering. The waiting is hard but Friday will come. On the painkiller front if you can't get to the GP nurofen or nurofen plus(which has codeine in it) are good over the counter painkillers you can get without a script at any pharmacy. You can also take panadol as they work slightly differently. I found sleeping with a big European pillow (those big square ones ) with my normal pillows gave me great comfort and suppport. As Manda mentioned the little pillow for the armpit was invaluable. I was given a pillow by the Zonta group (via the breast care nurse) which you can use like a shoulder bag but it's a cushion and sits just right in your armpit ,it is also good when wearing a seat belt. I have a spare if you'd like it? Just let me know.

I don't know how I got through the first weeks but I did seems a bit of a blur now so I know you can do it one day at a time..........

Love Sarah x

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie,

Yes,you probably need something stronger like panadiene- panadol not enough. Do you have a drain in?Cos you wouldn't put a bra on if you have .I kept my binder on till I saw my doc.It was supportive and didn't block my drain. After that I wore singlets/camisoles because I kept getting fluid build up.I wore very loose shirts so didn't feel self conscious.It was a few weeks before I could wear a bra.There's no rush Debbie so just be comfortable.

Tonya xx

• Debbie J
    edited March 2015
    Options

Words are not enough to say thank you to my husband , he is my rock .  I feel so blessed to have him in my life. Debbie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie

It's fanatastic you have a wonderful husband I know I found my husband just amazing through all my treatments. They really show their true colours and the reason why we love them so much. We are very lucky.

Rest up and take care

Love Sarah

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie

I just wanted to pop in and see how you are going.  I also wanted tolet you know that my Mum's story is in the book Telling it Like it Is - there is even a picture of my family including me and my children in there.  Mum is Margaret - one of the cluster from the ABC breast cancer Cluster in Brisbane.  AnneMarie is a mum of a boy that my brother went to school with and worked with my Mum for a while too.  I found it a really good read too.

I hope the your pain is settling,

Amanda xx

• JJoy
    JJoy Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Amanda

I was only wondering about the ABC cancer cluster the other day, I don't know what made me think about it but I wondered how everyone involved is going.  I hope all is well with you and yours

Regards JJoy

• Di F
    Di F Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie

All the best for tomorrow. My dr gave me a script for Capadex and it has been great for pain relief and it does not contain Codeine which I wanted to avoid. I used it too when needed during Chemo, combined with Nurofen for relief of body aches. After my surgery I was quite good until about week 3 when my chest really hurt (felt  like sandpaper) and I was told this was due to nerve endings healing etc. This lasted for probably 5 days or so but then felt much better again. So don't get dismayed if this sets in - it will pass. The hard thing in this journey is that we have to learn to be patient and do one step at a time, so I wish you the very best. Di

• Debbie J
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well woke this morning feeling very worried and upset , took some valium to calm me down before my appointment. Well my results are good.Lump was a lot smaller than the Dr had thought and after testing 15 of the nodes they all came back no sign of cancer. It was a grade 2 cancer ductal carcinoma. HER2 was negative . I go to the onocologist on the 20th April , the Dr thinks I will be put on Tamoxifen for 5 years, no radiation or chemo at this stage, will have to wait and see. Found out today that a Jane McGrath breast nurse has just started in my area , will be giving her a ring on monday , as the nurse at the brest clinic was not helpful and did not return my calls. Have joined breast support group in my area , waiting on my first meeting. To all my new friends I can not thank you enough for all your support and love. Big hugs love Debbie.

• Debbie J
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well woke this morning feeling very worried and upset , took some valium to calm me down before my appointment. Well my results are good.Lump was a lot smaller than the Dr had thought and after testing 15 of the nodes they all came back no sign of cancer. It was a grade 2 cancer ductal carcinoma. HER2 was negative . I go to the onocologist on the 20th April , the Dr thinks I will be put on Tamoxifen for 5 years, no radiation or chemo at this stage, will have to wait and see. Found out today that a Jane McGrath breast nurse has just started in my area , will be giving her a ring on monday , as the nurse at the brest clinic was not helpful and did not return my calls. Have joined breast support group in my area , waiting on my first meeting. To all my new friends I can not thank you enough for all your support and love. Big hugs love Debbie.

• Loretta d
    Loretta d Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie, that's great news especially that you are HER2- as I think if it was + you would have had to have chemo with the herceptin. Also good that all of the lymph nodes were clear, you must be so relieved. it is all looking very positive for you now, I'm so happy for you. . .maybe now you can get some sleep.

Loretta xx

• Loretta d
    Loretta d Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie, that's great news especially that you are HER2- as I think if it was + you would have had to have chemo with the herceptin. Also good that all of the lymph nodes were clear, you must be so relieved. it is all looking very positive for you now, I'm so happy for you. . .maybe now you can get some sleep.

Loretta xx

• grandma57
    grandma57 Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Debbie...that's wonderful news and no chemo or radium...how marvelous!

Great idea of joining a breast support group...this should help you immensely.

I actually had cancer in all bar 1 of my lymph nodes and like I said...I'm still here 8 years later. I believe technology has come a long way over the years and it's proof when so many women today are coming through the other side from having breast cancer.

I too am very happy for you!

grandma 57