Home Health and wellbeing

Cancer Australia FAQs COVID-19 Vaccine

2»

Comments

• AfraserAfraser MelbourneMember Posts: 3,623
    It’s always wise to report side effects from any vaccination as soon as possible. Best to contact your GP to discuss and clarify. I had Astra Zeneca and very slight side effects but I know of a number of people, with no cancer history at all, who have had more obvious side effects from Pfizer, including their second shot. I hope it all settles down soon. Best wishes. 
  • iserbrowniserbrown Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 4,793
    @Tracey96

Recently I had a Mammogram in lead up to my review with Breast Surgeon.   Prior to Mammogram I was asked a few questions and a few new ones.
    Have you had a vaccination for COVID?
    When?
    Reason we ask is we find the lymph nodes are swollen if it's recent

Hope that helps!

As to chest tightness.  Have you had a follow-up text on reaction to vaccination?
    Have you considered going to the GP?

Take care
  • Tracey96Tracey96 Member Posts: 5
    iserbrown said:
    @Tracey96

Recently I had a Mammogram in lead up to my review with Breast Surgeon.   Prior to Mammogram I was asked a few questions and a few new ones.
    Have you had a vaccination for COVID?
    When?
    Reason we ask is we find the lymph nodes are swollen if it's recent

Hope that helps!

As to chest tightness.  Have you had a follow-up text on reaction to vaccination?
    Have you considered going to the GP?

Take care
    Yes I went to a GP thanks for your reply. My scar is the sore section today so I think the virus attacks our weak points, getting better day by day. Just curious if any cancer survivors suffer too? 
  • AfraserAfraser MelbourneMember Posts: 3,623

Just for clarification - The mRNA vaccines (including Pfizer) do not contain any live virus. Instead, they work by teaching our cells to make a harmless piece of a “spike protein,” which is found on the surface of the virus that causes COVID-19. After making the protein piece, cells display it on their surface. Our immune system then recognizes that it does not belong there and responds to get rid of it. When an immune response begins, antibodies are produced, creating the same response that happens in a natural infection.
  • arpiearpie Mid North Coast, NSWMember Posts: 5,361
    edited September 13
    HI @Tracey96 - I am sorry you've had a big reaction to the 2nd Pfizer jab ..... it has happened to friends of mine, even tho young & fit & no health problems - they were crook for a few days.

Great that you contacted your medical team about the side effects.  Great that you were checked out & monitored & at least 'have it on record' .....

I hope you feel better soon, take care xx

• LocksleyLocksley Macedon Ranges, VictoriaMember Posts: 662
    @Tracey96 I'm sorry you had a bad reaction.  I've just seen think pink foundation have a webinar coming up re covid 19 vaccine.   I don't know how to do a link but I have taken a screenshot of it. 
  • Tracey96Tracey96 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for that
  • arpiearpie Mid North Coast, NSWMember Posts: 5,361
    WOOHOO!!  Double jabbed today!! So far, so good.  Not expecting any side effects and feel very comfortable that I've had both jabs.
  • June1952June1952 Member Posts: 1,248
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee @arpie.  Bet you now feel somewhat protected.
  • Mez_BCNAMez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 83
    Hi everyone,

Please note there is an updated COVID-19 vaccine article to include information regarding the third dose. Please refer below link to My Journey (If you scroll down it is the second last drop down 'Can I get third dose of vaccine?'

https://myjourney.org.au/article/3455

If you have any trouble accessing the information please let me know or call the helpline 1800 500 258