Cancer Australia FAQs COVID-19 Vaccine

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    It’s always wise to report side effects from any vaccination as soon as possible. Best to contact your GP to discuss and clarify. I had Astra Zeneca and very slight side effects but I know of a number of people, with no cancer history at all, who have had more obvious side effects from Pfizer, including their second shot. I hope it all settles down soon. Best wishes. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @Tracey96

Recently I had a Mammogram in lead up to my review with Breast Surgeon.   Prior to Mammogram I was asked a few questions and a few new ones.
    Have you had a vaccination for COVID?
    When?
    Reason we ask is we find the lymph nodes are swollen if it's recent

Hope that helps!

As to chest tightness.  Have you had a follow-up text on reaction to vaccination?
    Have you considered going to the GP?

Take care
  • Tracey96
    Tracey96 Member Posts: 5

iserbrown said:

@Tracey96

Recently I had a Mammogram in lead up to my review with Breast Surgeon.   Prior to Mammogram I was asked a few questions and a few new ones.
    Have you had a vaccination for COVID?
    When?
    Reason we ask is we find the lymph nodes are swollen if it's recent

Hope that helps!

As to chest tightness.  Have you had a follow-up text on reaction to vaccination?
    Have you considered going to the GP?

Take care

Yes I went to a GP thanks for your reply. My scar is the sore section today so I think the virus attacks our weak points, getting better day by day. Just curious if any cancer survivors suffer too? 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352

Just for clarification - The mRNA vaccines (including Pfizer) do not contain any live virus. Instead, they work by teaching our cells to make a harmless piece of a “spike protein,” which is found on the surface of the virus that causes COVID-19. After making the protein piece, cells display it on their surface. Our immune system then recognizes that it does not belong there and responds to get rid of it. When an immune response begins, antibodies are produced, creating the same response that happens in a natural infection.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    edited September 2021
    HI @Tracey96 - I am sorry you've had a big reaction to the 2nd Pfizer jab ..... it has happened to friends of mine, even tho young & fit & no health problems - they were crook for a few days.

Great that you contacted your medical team about the side effects.  Great that you were checked out & monitored & at least 'have it on record' .....

I hope you feel better soon, take care xx

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    @Tracey96 I'm sorry you had a bad reaction.  I've just seen think pink foundation have a webinar coming up re covid 19 vaccine.   I don't know how to do a link but I have taken a screenshot of it. 
  • Tracey96
    Tracey96 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for that
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    WOOHOO!!  Double jabbed today!! So far, so good.  Not expecting any side effects and feel very comfortable that I've had both jabs.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee @arpie.  Bet you now feel somewhat protected.
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 851
    Hi everyone,

Please note there is an updated COVID-19 vaccine article to include information regarding the third dose. Please refer below link to My Journey (If you scroll down it is the second last drop down 'Can I get third dose of vaccine?'

https://myjourney.org.au/article/3455

If you have any trouble accessing the information please let me know or call the helpline 1800 500 258
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Hi everyone, having a reaction to a vaccine is actually a really good sign provide not a adverse one. It means that your immune system is working. @Fraser explains this very well in her post above. Always to to talk to a doctor if you are concerned about a reaction. I feel a bit sorry for the very old because most of them don't have any reaction to any vaccine because their immune systems are strong.
  • Mez_BCNA
    edited November 2021
    Hi All,

In case you missed the recent media release from BCNA re Third COVID vaccination is essential, not an optional extra, for people with breast cancer  I have included the document in this post for you and you can also check out the nine news online article COVID 19 booster shots not optional for people with breast cancer says Breast Cancer Network Australia and Australian government (9news.com.au) and TV coverage on Seven News Instant-play on Streem
  • Mez_BCNA
    Cancer Australia has compiled answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about COVID-19 vaccines for people affected by cancer based on information and evidence currently available in Australia and internationally:

https://www.canceraustralia.gov.au/affected-cancer/covid-19-and-cancer/covid-19-vaccines-and-cancer/FAQs

• Mahaica
    Mahaica Member Posts: 26
    I had my booster shot any lymph nodes on the side of the injection were sore. I read a article from the USA which stated that some vaccine can cause swelling of the lymph noses 
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    I understand it is always safest to have any injections on the opposite side of where lymph nodes were removed , not sure if that helps others or not.
    I only had the sentinel lymph node removed on my left side but always have injections on the right now as a matter of course.