Music: what song you are listening to...invites and answers the question ‘how are you’

Comments

• LoisLois
    LoisLois Member Posts: 43
    my go to song when I need to unleash - Ted Nugent "Stranglehold" or Jimmy Barnes "Working Class Man".
    at the moment - Pearl Jam's "Alive" has made its way back into my life (my adult kids groan!)

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    "One Long Day" from Chisel's first album...so special when you revisit a song and realise that it's still as good as it was back in the day.
  • LouiseRose
    LouiseRose Member Posts: 1
    Anything by Pentatonix.

First surgery 3 weeks ago and they asked what I wanted and said "Hallelujah by Pentatonix"

In recovery they were still playing other songs by them.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Well it’s still summery so this early Fleetwood Mac instrumental piece called Albatross by Peter Green is a favourite
    https://youtu.be/fXeKi6ZkbOw

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Albatross,  my favourite 
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    All the songs on here are great- my personal fave is “ Hallelujia” although not sung by the original writer Leonard Cohen.
    As to the other part of the heading 
    “ Answers to the question : How Are You?” , my approach is :
    1.If I haven’t told them of my diagnosis and don’t intend to - “Fine”, 
    or if it’s a really bad day I may say “ I’m pretty tired today “.
    2..If I have told them my diagnosis my standard answer is “ fine all things considered”, or if it’s a really shut day I may say I’m a bit tired.
    3.If they are a close friend or relative with empathy I may tell them the exact truth depending on my mood.
    given that almost all the people asking have not been through the cancer shut fest, they are generally well intentioned and the question “ How are you” is so ingrained as a greeting it’s not really totally fair to be upset with people for asking it.
    but it does sometimes bring a tear.

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I too am a fan of The Band and especially  the song The Weight. Thought you might enjoy this version @Afraser
    https://youtu.be/ph1GU1qQ1zQ

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Ah, the lovely Robbie Robertson! Thank you @Romla
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Home alone yesterday (bliss) so had Neil Diamond's latest (old songs with an orchestra) and Leonard Cohen's Live in London CDs on rather loud as I did some cleaning.  I am sure the music helped get the chores done more quickly.  Bonus:  My hearing aids have been adjusted and now have a 'music' option which makes the sound even better.
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    edited May 2021
    https://fb.watch/5j0VU9oKG3/

This is what I want to do when I’m older. Actually, even now 🤔🎸🤘👅🤘😄

(hope link works)
  • FLClover
    And another song I love, which now very much pertains to our situation, is ‘I Touch Myself’ by Divinyls 👌🏻😢💗
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540

@FLClover

Not sure if you know any background on Chrissie, so if not..................
    I saw her as Judy Garland, here in Melbourne, The Boy from Oz - she was brilliant and my Mum saying who is she, she's doing a fab job of it!

'I Touch Myself': Things You Didn't Know About the Divinyls '90s Hit | PEOPLE.com

"I Touch Myself" became an anthem for breast cancer awareness ...

Chrissie Hynde - she was wonderful as Judy Garland in The Boy from Oz in Australia.
  • FLClover
    Hi @iserbrown 🙂 
    I didn’t know she starred in the Boy from Oz. 
    I did know that the song became the anthem for bc awareness, that’s why I listed it here 😊. I think it’s quite relevant, and honours her memory 💗
  • Tasia
    Tasia Member Posts: 126
    edited December 2021
    JP Cooper - Everything I wanted
    Eagle Eye Cherry - Save tonight
    Bishop Briggs - Someone Else (ft. Jacob Banks)

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    My husband just got a turntable so we have been playing all our old records from 1960's, 70 and 80s. Such a trip down memory lane. Just played The Mama's and Papa's 1970 self titled album after listening to the Beatles White Album. I also just found out my Pretenders album is worth $78 at JBHIFI.