Chemo 1st one down what a ride

Berchel14Berchel14 Gold Coast Member Posts: 20
edited March 25 in General discussion
Hi all, I had my first chemo and wow the side effects, the headaches, back pain constipation, mouth ulcers and on it goes . Ended up in hospital for 8 days, and what an awful 8 days, just home yesterday, and next treatment is the 1st April, just hoping for a different outcome, but will keep you posted. 

Comments

  • TinksTinks AdelaideMember Posts: 72
    Goodness what a horrible situation for you! What was causing the hospital side of things and do they expect that to recur? Sending you a good sleep in your own bed! Rest as much as you can. Hugs Xx
  • Caz1Caz1 Bayside , Melbourne Member Posts: 165
    Wow you poor thing! Yeah chemo was a bit of a circus....fortunately I had a multitude of side effects but none too severe
    Maybe your onco can alter your dose?
    hugs Caz x
  • AllyJayAllyJay Member Posts: 624
    That sucks...I spent a total of 56 days and nights in hospital during the three months of AC chemo. Learned the hard way to have a bag packed after each session to avoid having "hubby's choice".
  • Berchel14Berchel14 Gold Coast Member Posts: 20
    Yes it is just awful , I had terrible side effects, I go in for my next session next week, the dr has said he will make adjustments, so I will see when I have my appointment with him before my session
    Thank you all for all your helpful hints and suggestions, I really appreciate that I can talk with somebody that is going through or has been through this process. x
  • PV123PV123 Member Posts: 96
    Sorry to hear about your side effects @Berchel14

    I had a lot of different side effects and they were mostly manageable, so hopefully your next sessions will be easier.  

    What chemo drug are you on?
  • jennyssjennyss Western NSWMember Posts: 724
    Dear @Berchel14

    for next time! from jennyss in Western NSW

  • Berchel14Berchel14 Gold Coast Member Posts: 20
    PV123 said:
    Sorry to hear about your side effects @Berchel14

    I had a lot of different side effects and they were mostly manageable, so hopefully your next sessions will be easier.  

    What chemo drug are you on?

    I am on AC, the oncologist said that he would modify it for the next one, which is next Wednesday, do not want to have to go into hospital again :(  What about you? were you on the same one or different. I am really hoping I can get these side effects sorted out, Hope you are feeling ok XX
  • Berchel14Berchel14 Gold Coast Member Posts: 20
    Caz1 said:
    Wow you poor thing! Yeah chemo was a bit of a circus....fortunately I had a multitude of side effects but none too severe
    Maybe your onco can alter your dose?
    hugs Caz x

    Thanks, yes he did say he was going to do some adjustments, next one is Wed so keeping fingers crossed. He thinks it has triggered migraines, so hoping that gets a little better   as I used to suffer from them years ago. How did you manage the exhaustion ? I was in hospital for 8 days in a room and only got to go out twice, so now very weak, and not really wanting to go outside the house in this climate of things. Really appreciate having somebody to talk with. xx Cheryl
  • ddonddon Member Posts: 82
    AC is truly awful. I only had one night in hospital - it upset my heart and I needed to be monitored - but I spent 9 days of each cycle absolutely miserable and many days barely able to lift my head. I didn’t get sick as such, as in viruses or whatever, but oh the side effects are tough. On the upside, I did learn to ride it out because I knew what was coming. 
    Taxol is truly a walk in the park after AC. Hang in there - hoping your oncologist can sort it to make it more bearable for you somehow. 
  • Berchel14Berchel14 Gold Coast Member Posts: 20
    ddon said:
    AC is truly awful. I only had one night in hospital - it upset my heart and I needed to be monitored - but I spent 9 days of each cycle absolutely miserable and many days barely able to lift my head. I didn’t get sick as such, as in viruses or whatever, but oh the side effects are tough. On the upside, I did learn to ride it out because I knew what was coming. 
    Taxol is truly a walk in the park after AC. Hang in there - hoping your oncologist can sort it to make it more bearable for you somehow. 

    Thanks for your update, yes I was not in a good way at all, and cannot bear to think it will continue with each treatment. I am still soooo tired and exhausted, have not had a day without a headache, the the constipation was terrible and has made such a mess of my body, and on D but on the bright side after wed I will be half way through the first lot  p LOL
  • Caz1Caz1 Bayside , Melbourne Member Posts: 165
    edited March 27
    Hi @Berchel14 I lay on the couch for the first few days. My thing was to keep moving, I went for a walk every day, some days a short one was all I could manage but without exception I got out there. Always made me feel better in my head as well as physically.....and my dogs wouldn’t let me off!!!! :D

    constipation tips; drinking HEAPS of water, 2 coloxyl tablets every day, prunes, licorice, inner health ( excellent ) ,sometimes I’d make a big casserole based on beans, eg butter beans, lentils and tomato, lemon, oil  and garlic 

  • Berchel14Berchel14 Gold Coast Member Posts: 20
    Caz1 said:
    Hi @Berchel14 I lay on the couch for the first few days. My thing was to keep moving, I went for a walk every day, some days a short one was all I could manage but without exception I got out there. Always made me feel better in my head as well as physically.....and my dogs wouldn’t let me off!!!! :D

    constipation tips; drinking HEAPS of water, 2 coloxyl tablets every day, prunes, licorice, inner health ( excellent ) ,sometimes I’d make a big casserole based on beans, eg butter beans, lentils and tomato, lemon, oil  and garlic 


    Thanks for
    Caz1 said:
    Hi @Berchel14 I lay on the couch for the first few days. My thing was to keep moving, I went for a walk every day, some days a short one was all I could manage but without exception I got out there. Always made me feel better in my head as well as physically.....and my dogs wouldn’t let me off!!!! :D

    constipation tips; drinking HEAPS of water, 2 coloxyl tablets every day, prunes, licorice, inner health ( excellent ) ,sometimes I’d make a big casserole based on beans, eg butter beans, lentils and tomato, lemon, oil  and garlic 
    Caz1 said:
    Hi @Berchel14 I lay on the couch for the first few days. My thing was to keep moving, I went for a walk every day, some days a short one was all I could manage but without exception I got out there. Always made me feel better in my head as well as physically.....and my dogs wouldn’t let me off!!!! :D

    constipation tips; drinking HEAPS of water, 2 coloxyl tablets every day, prunes, licorice, inner health ( excellent ) ,sometimes I’d make a big casserole based on beans, eg butter beans, lentils and tomato, lemon, oil  and garlic 


    Thanks for the info Yes I am drinking lots of water, and since coming out of hospital I have been able to eep the constipation under control. Yes I will try the walk thing but with the coid19 a bit wary to go outside xx

Sign In or Register to comment.