Chemo 1st one down what a ride

Options
13»

Comments

• Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Hi @Berchel14, I like you had side affects of neutropenia, mouth ulcers , cold, after the first three doses of dense dose AC. The last dose was not at full dose and I was ok.
    After the first time I had a small suitcase packed at all times with everything that I needed, and was left at the end of my bed. Everytime I went to hospital or emergency it was always in the car.
    I found each time the hospital stays got shorter, first time 6 days ( bad mouth ulcers) second time 4 days and the last one 2 days. After last dose I wasn’t in hospital, I managed to stay at home and rested.
    You will get through this , your oncologist can reduce the doses so your body can cope with it.
    I lost my hair after second dose of AC, went to hair dresser and had the shave, I thought I have control and I’m going to shave it off, not the bloody cancer....taking it from me.

Listen to your oncologist, they will guide you, rest your body, drink 3 litres of water a day ( I couldn’t drink water as it tasted like metal, so I added a cordial flavour).

Try and eat well, if you’re unable to eat due to mouth ulcers have some hospital grade Sustagen on hand.I ate a lot of yoghurts and soft foods for awhile due to my mouth being so sore.
    I hope the oncologist has got you on some good mouth medication for your ulcers.
    The best thing I found was over the counter at your chemist, it’s called Kenalog, it’s brilliant, doesn’t taste the best, but it’s like a paste that goes on the ulcer and doesn’t wash of with your saliva.

I use to take 2 coloxyl with senna tablets every night, I tried to walk around the garden everyday, I couldn’t walk to far as I was so exhausted, sometimes I could barely get one foot in front of the other, but I did it sometimes holding onto the bricks of the house.
    Listen to your body, it will let you know what you can and can’t do, I remember sleeping a lot, at times my husband had to help me to the toilet and shower. You will learn at what day after your treatment you are the worst, mine was around day 5, then I would come good a couple of days before treatment, and then do it all again.

You can do this, yes it’s absolutely a shitty time, but you will come out the other side, I looked at it like yeah I feel so crap, but that’s because the chemo is killing any of the shit that is in my body if any. 

Your half way through the worst, if you’re having weekly Taxel after it’s a walk in the park.

You have got this, not long now,  the light is at the end of the tunnel with AC, stay positive , sending hugs your way xx

• Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 482
    Options
    So sorry to hear how it was for you.
    I was well warned of what to expect.
    Was given an oral drug to take prior to chemo which is supposed to help with nausea for around 3 days.
    It was Netupitant300mg/Paolosetron 500mcgms, maybe it is working. It has a side effect of constipation. I now know how much Coloxyl with Senna to take and offset that problem.
    I'm also given an ice block to suck during one of my drugs. I'm told it helps to prevent mouth ulcers. So far so good.
    I hope that your Oncologist can help.
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549
    Options

Abbydog said:

So sorry to hear how it was for you.
    I was well warned of what to expect.
    Was given an oral drug to take prior to chemo which is supposed to help with nausea for around 3 days.
    It was Netupitant300mg/Paolosetron 500mcgms, maybe it is working. It has a side effect of constipation. I now know how much Coloxyl with Senna to take and offset that problem.
    I'm also given an ice block to suck during one of my drugs. I'm told it helps to prevent mouth ulcers. So far so good.
    I hope that your Oncologist can help.

Thank you best of luck with yours xx