Coping with a cancer diagnosis at Christmas, some helpful tips...

Options

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Oncology gave me a vip purple pass card to give to emergency if I needed to go there stating I needed to be seen first and put in isolation due to low resistance if this card is presented.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,380
    Options
    @Shellshocked2018 The mindfulness group helped me a lot with anxiety attacks. We are putting up our tree this weekend as my operation is 27th November and I don't want to miss out on the fun. I have even been playing Christmas carols. I love Christmas! My job this year is supervisor. I'm pretty bossy and my hubby and adult kids are all stubborn so it should be interesting. 
  • Mjheke
    Mjheke Member Posts: 78
    Options
    I have just had my Radiation oncology appointment. I was told I would usually be starting radiation 4-6 weeks after surgery. 6 weeks would have been the 17th of December. I have been told this is not an ideal time to start due to all of the public holidays the following 2 weeks and so have been given a start date of the 2nd of January-8 weeks 3 days from my surgery date This may be delayed further if I choose to have genetic testing done. Christmas is already affecting my treatment plan.... :(

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options
    Since my diagnosis in Sept 2012 I have scaled back on Christmas we now do a lovely picnic lunch at one of our local dams and enjoy a relaxed day with beautiful views and beautiful water breezes. My Teens at the time took up the watch and did the Christmas Lunch and it was awesome. 
    Don't forget that our loved ones learn also through this time, and allowing them to serve us  teaches them we are NOT the super mum they thought we were. 

For those going through CHEMO over Christmas Make sure you have all your medical supplies before the chemists close up for the break. 

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,602
    Options
    I feel your anguish, @Mjheke - I had my surgery in mid Jan this year & I already had a holiday booked in April - I was given the choice of having my radiation after the holiday if I preferred - as my Rad Onc said that the time frame really wasn't 'that strict'.   I decided to have it done BEFORE the holiday, just because I wanted it 'over & done with'.  This way, I had it all finished by Easter, then had 2 weeks to recover before leaving on my holiday to Norfolk Island!

If I'd gone with it after the holiday - it would have been around the 12 week mark .......   I hope this helps quell your fears  xxx

• Sweetpetal
    Sweetpetal Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Ok now I'm worried :/  I have my first appointment with my oncologist on Monday does this mean my christmas is going to be crap?????
  • SoldierCrab
    Options
    hi Sweetpetal, 
    NO it could be after Christmas before you start chemo....  When did you have surgery? if you have already had it ? 

• Sweetpetal
    Options
    @SoldierCrab I haven't had surgery, going to have chemo first
  • SoldierCrab
    Options
    Then you might begin before Christmas. 
  • Sweetpetal
    Options
    @SoldierCrab I really hope so been waiting for my Oncologist to get back from leave for the last 2 weeks
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,602
    Options
    All the best for your meeting @Sweetpetal  xxxx

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Sweetpetal If you have a choice in timing Christmas, see if you can get it to fall in the third week of a chemo cycle. That's when you'll feel best. Hang in there. K xox
  • Milly21
    Milly21 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    I had surgery on the 23rd December,came home on 24 th ,my family were all staying at my house for Xmas and coming up to it I was dreading it,it ended up being a good thing as it was distracting didn’t give me time to dwell,and I got them to do everything,and I would duck of for a nap when I wanted,it was nice for my teenage kids to have people around too ,took pressure off me be cheerful all the time,so I would say family friends support is great if you can get it over Xmas period.