Terrified of what lies ahead!

Options

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,596
    Options
    To be honest, @CathyMac - I think they'd be better off at school, being kept busy.  As @Sister says - let the school know, to keep an eye on them ..... and then when they see you after surgery, they should feel 'happier'?

A tricky one .... which ever answer you are more comfortable with!!

All the best xxx big hugs xxx

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,376
    Options
    Hi @CathyMac - I agree with @Flaneuse, it's up to you and those closest to you to work out what is best for you all. However you may want to remember that even the best run hospital has "creative accounting" in its timetable. My mastectomy was booked for 2.30, I finally got to theatre by 6.30 and wasn't really compus mentis again until about 10pm. I had elected to go by myself and was glad I did, as that's a long time for someone else hanging around. Good to warn family too that taking a lot longer than planned is just the outcome of a busy theatre schedule, it doesn't mean anything has gone wrong for you! My single mastectomy was remarkably pain free, nurses pushed drugs with commendable zeal, you need have no fear while you are there but but I really didn't need them.  Visitors the next day when I was up and around and fully awake were very welcome. Particularly bearing decent coffee! Best wishes.
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Cathy, what a beautiful thing for your work colleagues did for you, just shows the love and how much they care for you.
    Wishing you the best for tomorrow, will be thinking of you. 
    Cancer free here we come. Yah!
    I know that my daughter isn’t going to work on the day of my surgery, she will be staying with an auntie for the day whilst my husband comes with me. 
    You have a beautiful caring son that loves you dearly, I’m sure you will make the right decision for you and him whatever you decide to do. There is no right or wrong answer here, just what’s right for your family. ❤️
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    For my wide local excision and re-excision, my husband dropped me at the hospital and came to see me after the surgeon had called him, and I was awake. I didn't want him hanging around and waiting. He was able to go home for the afternoon. My 14yo daughter really wanted to see me that night so she did. All the kids went to school. That was exactly one year ago today. Do what feels right for you. K xox
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    Options
    @CathyMac your last post made me cry - sucj beautiful work friends!

I agree 100% with @Afraser with regard to people waiting and visitors. I had a single MX  - but with immediate recon - surgery was 8+hours.......and theatre schedules can vary so vastly day to day. My daughter went to school, my husband to work.......albeit a modified day. Hubby was there to pick up daughter from school and 'do something special'. The special thing my daughter wanted to do was to see mum in hospital, so after a cafe visit to stall things a bit, they ended up in my room soon after I was conscious. It was nice to see them (and only them) at that stage.

I realise your surgery is today and you may not read this. wishing you all the very best today. This will be another step towards being cancer free and recovering - bring it on!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Hi Cathy. I hope this message finds you comfortable, pain free and relieved that you're over this big hurdle. Thinking of you. Big (but very gentle!) hug, K xox
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Hi Cathy, been thinking of you today. Wishing you a speedy recovery, rest up and be kind to yourself. Sending hugs and kisses your way. 😘
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Hope you're feeling well, @CathyMac . Rest and restore.
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Hey @CathyMac  Hope everything went well and you are not in too much pain.  Thoughts have been with you.  Like the others have said rest time now and take things nice and slow.  Hugs  xo
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Options
    Hey @CathyMac hope you’re going ok. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Our thoughts all seem to be with you xx
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @CathyMac hoping your surgery went well and that your are going ok.  Wishing you a very speedy recovery.
  • CathyMac
    CathyMac Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Hi all, thank you for the thoughts and wishes. I am home today and resting. Surgery went well but unfortunately the cancer was in my lymph nodes so it looks like a long hard road ahead. One day at a time right? Love to you all💕
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,596
    Options
    Thinking of you @CathyMac .... rest up, yep, one day at a time xxxx

• Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @CathyMac Yes, and sometimes it will be one hour at a time. Take great care of yourself.  <3
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Absolutely...one day at a time.  Take it easy, now.