Work and breast cancer - seeking your input

Options
124»

Comments

• Silba
    Silba Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Thank you ladies , I will follow through .
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    And remember, income protection is about a component of your salary while you're on leave - not about a payout.
  • BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Options
    Is there any data on retired ladies who have not been able to accumulate a decent nest egg but are constantly required to pay those dreaded out-of-pocket expenses ?  In ''our day'' there was no focus on superannuation, let alone employer contributions. I guess I made the mistake of always paying private health insurance and marrying later in life.  As I am alone in life I do prefer to use the private hospital system as one does get a bit of added TLC when there and the quick turnaround rate not such a focus if one needs to be there an extra day or two.  Not all areas are equipped with service in the home, either.  Food for thought.  Anne
  • Sarnicad
    Sarnicad Member Posts: 318
    Options
    @BlackWidow there is a lot of statistics on how women 50 and above do not generally have sufficient funds to retire on full stop before you factor in medical crisis/divorce/death of a partner or any other traumatic event. It is suggested that this is one of the leading issues behind the increase in homelessness of older women

i will try to find some articles and post them up
  • BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Options
    Thank you.
  • Chelley59
    Chelley59 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Blackwidow...save your pennies...I have had all of my treatment in the public system and could not fault it..I have paid nothing..you dont need the added stress of monetary issues....i have a plastic surgeon...breast surgeon a radio onc and 2 breastcare nurses....ive had everything done in a timely fashion...they have all been wonderfully supportive x
  • Ashanty88
    Ashanty88 Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi all 
    l had a recurrence of breast cancer last year in August . Prior to that l was working as a nurse full time and on treatment. My meds were changed after reccurance to include  Ibrance  hence l needed to drop a day for rest and recovery and also dr appointments and blood tests . Manager gave me a form asking about my condition . Previously before recuurance l had a bad pleural effusion which needed an admission by the way , so work was aware that l had been sick. 

First of all I was told I was not going to get the reduced hours because someone else wanted my job , I was told l don’t look like l had breast cancer. Then l was told by the manager that her fry died from breast cancer . I was also removed fto
     work twice because of my dr stating no full time hours however the form said l needed a day off for mr medical needs . I was isolated at work , humiliated and at times felt ghat my registration was being threatened as a nurse . 
    I am now on work cover for psychological injury not cancer . 
    I have accepted that I have cancer and will take it a day at a time . However it took a person who was my manager for 4 months to interfere with my career of 18 years as a nurse. 
    Any advice is appreciated 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    It’s stories like the one above that indicate that information for employers and staff is required. There is good information on the BCNA site but employers may never look there. I worked throughout treatment and had nothing but thoughtful support, but that’s not always the case. If you are ‘lucky’, your employer may know something about cancer but ignorance breeds distance and denial. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    I am so sorry this has happened to you @Ashanty88 ... that toxic person needs to be reported to the top personnel, in writing, so that it requires a written reply (and also send it to any Gov dept you can think of that may be relevant!) 

She either should be sent for 'people training skills' or sacked herself. 
    Does your work cover have you seeing someone re coping mechanisms ... i hope this will help you through this xx
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 876
    Options

@Ashanty88 Please find the following resources/information that can perhaps assist and guide you around the subject of ‘Work and breast cancer’. The BCNA website page for employees can be found via the following link https://www.bcna.org.au/work-and-breast-cancer/employee/ and includes the fact sheet on Legal rights and responsibilities for employees

The Cancer Council 13 11 20 also provide legal, financial and workplace assistance to people affected by cancer (They can also offer counselling support).

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,125
    Options
    Hi @Ashanty88
    Are you a member of your union ?
    If it was me I would be contacting them for help and support.
    You would think that being in healthcare there might be a bit more empathy and understanding but as I get older I am continually surprised at how poorly employees are treated .
  • Ashanty88
    Options
    Union said it’s out of their hands Julez . Their lawyer actually rang me . There is a fine line as to how far they can support . 

• Fufan
    Fufan Member Posts: 123
    Options
    @Ashanti 88 some people in the workplace can be such bullies, and like to play mean little games.  Example:  many years before my cancer, my mother- in - law died. I requested half a day off to attend her funeral.  Only when I produced her death certificate.  This, of course, was not available so soon.  Oh well, show me a copy of the death notice in the Sydney Morning Herald.   So I walked down the Parramatta street, into the Herald office, and procured a copy of the death notice which my supervisor reluctantly accepted.  Of course it was the death notice I myself had written and submitted for publication!  Bullying, and a waste of everyone’s time.  In such ways can they wear you down.  This stuff can really undermine your confidence and eventually make your job untenable.  Get on to your union!
  • Ashanty88
    Options
    Thank you all for your messages. I’m hoping to leave the work soon and maybe do a work from home or something .