Work and breast cancer - seeking your input

Options

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    It was my GP who told me about the income protection.  I would not have followed it up, otherwise.  Some Super schemes also have a trauma component.
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I would like to see something about transitioning to a different type of work. I was in a very physical job (nursing, but there are many others just as physical, if not more so), and had to change tack completely, when I developed lymphoedema. I was lucky enough to find something non clinical, in nursing, and have since moved to a non clinical midwifery role. Whilst I love the jobs that I have found, there has been a lot of grief around this transition.

Like others here have commented,  I was lucky enough to be in a very supportive workplace, and worked throughout my treatment (chemo, surgery and radiotherapy) , as I'm single and had limited sick leave. I found work to be a great grounder, and helped me keep some sense of normality. I know how lucky I was that I was even able to work, compared to many others. I certainly wasn't aware of income protection with super
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

Some technical information about things like Adverse Action would be helpful. Taking action against an employer because they have treated you unfairly during your treatment or recovery is complex and intimidating, but there is quite clear legislation governing what is, or is not, acceptable behaviour. The trick is having the knowledge of your rights, and the energy to do something about it.

@hankster 's story is not uncommon; unfortunately if you work for a smaller business it is quite likely you can be shuffled out and left to the tender mercies of the welfare system (which is NOT going to give you a pension unless you are at deaths door). If an employer can demonstrate that your presence in the workplace is to the detriment of the business, they can get rid of you. Most contracts include clauses that state you must inform your employer if you are taking medication  that may affect your performance. I got backed into a corner during BCV1 as I was taking painkillers which made driving a truck hazardous. While it was not illegal for me to drive while taking prescription medication, if I'd had an accident and hadn't disclosed my level of risk, it would have been a very difficult position from an insurance perspective, and if I did disclose the risk, my employer could be compromised by letting me do that job. The business did not have any other position that I could fill until the problem was sorted out. The solution was to not take the painkillers-I can't see how being in pain made me a safer driver, but it was my only option if I wanted to keep my job.

@summerprevails experience is also an issue. I've had to rejoin the workforce following BCV2, it's very difficult to decide what you tell a prospective employer and when you tell them. Certainly not at interview. I'm suffering in silence until I get through my probation period which, since I'm not working full time, is possible. Apart from being too bloody tired, there is no way I could have managed to do that if I was full time as I have to attend appointments.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I'd like to find a part-time job next year. I have no idea what to do about my BC experience. I suppose I just obfuscate and blur, hiding it among the other reasons for my absence from paid employment. It makes me uncomfortable thinking about lying about it, albeit a lie by omission. And to be honest, I'm troubled by my memory issues, how they'd affect my doing a job. So this dents my confidence, and I'm thinking about setting my sights much lower than the jobs I'd like to do. Finding a job seems just about impossible at this point. It's certainly very daunting. My age and gender make it hard enough before you even throw in breast cancer.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Kate maybe consider volunteer based work for a couple of months. It doesn't pay the bills but it does give you the opportunity to test our your skills, especially memory, rather than land a job and don't make it past probation. 
    Just a thought!
    http://volunteeringvictoria.org.au

Take care
  • kmakm
    Options
    @iserbrown Thanks Christine. Yes, that's on my list to try. If life lets up I'll give it a crack. A good testing ground as you say. K xox
  • Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    Options
    Hi @kmakm
    everything you have said in your comment above is how so many people feel after planning/attempting to get back into the workforce following a diagnosis. Have a look at this section of information on our website in the first instance as it might answer some of those legal questions you have - https://www.bcna.org.au/work-and-breast-cancer/employee/looking-for-a-new-job/ 
    I would be really happy for you to make contact with me directly and we can work on a plan or help link you in with some services that may help. dpatt@bcna.or.au or 1800 500 258.
    Thanks,
    Daina 
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    @kmakm. I found a great job through volunteering. It is good to be told that someone you work with doesn't  know what they would do without you!
  • kmakm
    Options
    Thank you very much @Daina_BCNA. I'll be in contact with you early next year if that's OK? Or is it better to get started now?
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Patti J Very good indeed.
  • Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    Options
    @kmakm, when ever suits! I am around until 20 Dec and back 7 Jan - I know you have had a bit of contact with Kellie in the office so even if you just want to pop in for a casual chat to get the ball rolling with some ideas. Cheers, Daina 
  • Chelley59
    Chelley59 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    I am a nurse...i work 8 shifts a fortnight..i havent worked since the 17th of october...i had a wide excision on the 23rd oct and now am going back in on thursday after discussion to do a revision on the margin...im guessing a couple more weeks of healing and will then see radio oncologist for radiotherapy...im fortunate through our super fund that after using 30 days of my sickleave i am eligible for 75% of my wage but if i go back to work for a few days this can cancel it i believe....so im just hoping that the radiotherapy will commence as soon as i have healed so i will be able to keep my income protection .
    It must be so hard for casual employees or those with unsupportive bosses and workplace...at the moment i consider myself very fortunate .
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Hi @Chelley59 I am in the same position with work income protection.  I was told that I can have up to 3 months back to work and if in that period I need further treatment then that is fine.  After 3 months though is another story.  I agree that I feel blessed I don't have to rush back to work until I am truly ready to go both physically and mentally.   As with your job mine is also a physical job as a cook in an aged care facility.  
  • Brummie
    Brummie Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi Chelley and KItkatb , im needing advice about applying for income protection from my super.  I have just discovered that I have it in my super and don't feel in the position to return to work particularly as my job is not so supportive, stressful.  I am concerned whether the information collated for the income protection will be passed onto the employer.  thanks
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Hi @Brummie I can't really comment on income protection through Super as mine was through our EBA  through work and everything was done through our employer.   Every few weeks I have to do a CDS with my income protection which is a Continuing Disability Statement which gets signed off by myself and my GP , I then have to give work a copy as well as the income protection company a copy.  If yours is through your private super Possibly all your work would require is a sickness letter signed by your GP.  Maybe someone else can hop on board here  if they could advise.  Let us know how you go and all the best, xo