Is that a light at the end of the tunnel??

Options

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

Good on you @scorpio101 Your nurse brain will be useful, as will the potential of dark humour that comes with it. Sometimes, when I was really miserable during chemo, I took the advice of That Poor Woman (my mental health professional) and took a step outside myself and thought 'Isn't that interesting?' It is interesting; the way we go from feeling we've got a grip on the situation to going all floppy and desperate, sometimes several times in the one day. Rinse and repeat.

Coconut oil is a very helpful addition to the chemo diet. A little bit of lube for both ends, so to speak.

BTW, mashed potato is the bomb. That, cheese toasties, soda water and a wee bit of Endone (if it agrees with you) can keep you going during the hell days. Good luck. Mxx

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,602
    Options
    Thinking of you.  Hope you are feeling better today xxxx
  • Scorpio101
    Scorpio101 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks Arpie I do.  It is  blood letting day unfortunately but I'm taking opportunity to call in on Oncology Unit to clarify a couple of things...first outing in a week (hehehehe)  AND I'm going shopping, albeit to view the local Wig and Headwear  Library. lol  Past few days have been an experience plus.  Got it all written down, mainly to be able to re-read and remind myself what to look forward to.  :#  Hope you too are doing well.  Hugs xxx 
  • Scorpio101
    Options
    Thanks Zoffiel.  Not sure being an ex-nurse actually helps...Never did work Oncology and I think a little bit a knowledge can be a dangerous thing.  ;)  Always used humour to get me through the days....my goodness... my "Sisters-in- Charge"  when I was training were always pulling this nurse aside for laughing or smiling too much. lol   Even before I retired it wasn't unusual to get 'the evil eye' for laughing too loudly!   My "woman of mental health" told me to forget I was a nurse...be the patient...allow the girls to do their job.   So that's what I am....the woman I always said I would be...the Blue rinse (not just yet ) old lady who is going to sit on the buzzer all day and say..."NURSE!!    >:)  My lovely ladies (some of whom I used to work with)  have already threatened to pull the buzzer out of the wall!!   ;)  Thanks for advice....will have to chase Endone...good stuff!!    :D  Hope you are doing okay xxxx 
  • Scorpio101
    edited July 2018
    Options
     o:) 
  • Scorpio101
    Options
    Dear self...First week over and I am back to normal, (what ever that may be)!  No headache, belly aches and a slept a full night!!  Go me!  So I have 10 days to enjoy myself, maybe even clean the house  :D  :D   I didn't even fully realise I was in some sort of a fog until I woke yesterday morning and I had a clear thinking head!  Even the Tinnitus has dropped to its usual dull buzzing!     <3

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Well done getting through cycle 1.  It's  a miserable trip but the 1st part of treatment  of 4 cycles (? Not sure your regime) is over and done with rather rapidly and at least you get 1 good week in 3. Hoping cycle 2 is just as kind. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Good on you Scorpio! Make sure you do something especially nice for yourself before your next infusion. K xox
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,602
    Options
    Well done @Scorpio101   ... specially with the tinnitus!!  I have had it for about 40 years!  :(   It is a real pain!  

All the best for your ongoing treatment xx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    That's the spirit @Scorpio101 Carpe Diem Mxx
  • Scorpio101
    Options
    Thanks Ladies for your ongoing support....it is great. Hope you are all doing ok. Part of this respite is to do things I haven't indulged in for 4 - 5 months. :) 
  • Scorpio101
    Options
    Been a good week...mentally preparing for round #2 on Thursday and all it entailed.  Had a shower yesterday AM and washed my hair....and was struck by an emotional moment (??)  ....hair was coming away in my hands and I stood there crying (and yes a few loud NOOOO'S!)  I laugh at myself now and the whole situation. Husband came in and was trying to calm me down and daughter just happened by to pick something up for grandkids and she started crying and getting wet (she was dressed for work!) whilst comforting me.  I had mentally prepared myself for hair loss after second treatment not before....lol  Not really a biggie anyway...more a thinning of the thick hair rather than clumps at this stage anyway.  But I have to laugh at myself..it keeps me sane!!  :D
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Even prepared, it's still confronting.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I know I was well prepared for the hair loss on day 14...started day 17 but it didn't stop me having the big ugly sobbing. Especially after washing blow drying it etc only to see a full layer of hair below my bob line that had just come away. I know shaving the bloody stuff off was empowering. It was done and dusted and for me stopped me stressing over it. For a lot of woman it is harder than the breast loss at the time. I think the breast loss sneaks up on us later ...as that sadly doesn't grow back. Taje care. X
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Options
    @Scorpio101 it's awful when your falls out , such a horrible feeling.  I'm at the point where mine is just (only just) starting to grow back.  I have the beginnings of a five clock shadow . I'm quite excited and inspect it every morning now. 
    Take heart it will be back.  Sending you hugs. Take care. Xxx