A Little Embarrassing

Options

Comments

• Matt
    Matt Member Posts: 14
    Options

Hi all
    I do agree with a lot of things said here, @traveltext it doesn't matter for donation purposes about male or female just as long as people donate, its going to the same cause, I do agree with @Joannie comment it should be stated there is a high probability in men if they feel a lump or hardness around there breast it is cancer, in my case I felt something almost two years ago a little lump close to the nipple, I passed it off as a fatty tissue, over time it grew not that I noticed to much, about six months it became about a 6cm diameter hard lump around the nipple I passed it off as a infection, it will go away so I thought, to make it worse I did notice a lump in my underarm over a year ago so I thought it had to do with my shoulder reconstruction I had a few years ago, I never heard of lymph nodes before :-),  I had physical two weeks before ii found out I had cancer, my results came back near perfect, the wife kept pushing me to see the doctor about the lump in my breast, finally I gave up thinking just go and get some antibiotics, but I ended up with a stage 3 boarding stage 4 invasive, aggressive and few other words they used spread to lymph nodes and what ever else, anyway may point is it should be drummed into men that if they feel something in their breast get it checked out asap, just like they do on commercials for women not just there is a chance that men can get cancer but its  rare, that's my 2cents worth :-), sorry about the long rant had my 4th ac shot on Friday and normally I can't sleep for 2-3 days after it.. hehe, @Sister how's your toes, mine looks like the purple going away just the nails don't look the best, just wondering if any of you girls know of a product " nail polish" of some sort preferably clear and matt so not noticeable on a male that might protect them as I start the T treatment in a few weeks and that apparently effects your nails..... thanks
  • traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    Options
    Thanks for the report in Matt, and good luck with your continuing chemo. 

I agree that whatever gets donations is fine, except that I know so many men like you who weren't breast cancer aware and who got diagnosed at a later stage. I'm one of them too. For this reason, I'm trying to get the pink charities to do more for male awareness.

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Hi @Matt.  I haven't bothered (although may change my mind) but Revitanail seems to get the guernsey.  I don't know how noticeable it is.  My nails have always been rubbish and I've gone through a lot of "moisturising" and "protecting" products over the years to not have any faith in them.  But others may tell you that it works brilliantly.  

And guys, we women know you're out there but don't hear from you often unless the pink business comes up.  It's lovely to have your voices.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Sally Hansen Ultimate nail polish repair seemed to help mine Matt. I also used to rub Bio Oil into them.
  • Matt
    Options
    Thank you @Zoffiel and @Sister
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Agree great to hear from you guys !
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    Options
    Yes, that's the plan.

That sign is actually for testicular cancer which is another tricky subject to get men aware of.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Sally Hansen clear nail strengthening polish helped my nails for a bit @Matt.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @Matt Sally Hansen nail items are available in Coles and Woolies as well as Pharmacies

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @Matt Just wanted to pop in and send you a very warm Welcome and can imagine how daunting it must feel coming to talk, but wanted to say as you can see by the overwhelming responses, we are all in it together and very happy to offer support in any way possible.

It's not just AC that is 4 times every 3 weeks, I had FEC fluorouracil (also called 5FU) epirubicin. cyclophosphamide, which was the same also known as the Red Devil, then 8 weeks of Taxol. It depends on what your diagnosis was as to which regime you are on. Side effects can be very nasty, sorry about your toenails, I ended up with neuropathy in my toes, I can live with it now but generally after walking over 40mins I can't do anymore due to the pain. 

Sending a hug, we are always here if you have any concerns that we may be able to help out with. :) Melinda x
  • Matt
    Options
    Hi @melclarity thank you for that, I have been made to feel welcomed and everyone has been a great help, yes the treatment sounds similar, I had 3 syringes filled with the red devil as one of the ladies in the room called it :-), in between the bags of drips, I will start Taxol in 3 weeks, weekly for 12 weeks, then surgery if all goes well,
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    hi there @Matt my girlfriend went to see the comedienne julia morris the other week in bundy and her hubby to has had breast cancer too, but @traveltext and @PeterB are up with the latest on it all and are a weatlh of info for you. rest assured you will get plenty of support on here with them and us. Margie 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @Matt I think what Ive liked about the Forum is, eventhough I came well after I'd finished all treatment, it's a place where you can talk about everything, knowing you are understood completely. Loved ones and friends mean well, but they cannot understand the full extent of it physically or mentally, so I have found it invaluable to be able to come here to share experience or offer support and in turn receive the same by people who just 'get it' All the best coming up to Taxol, it is different but I didn't personally find it easier on top of the Fec. Make sure you keep your Team in the loop of absolutely everything as I found my pain management wasn't very good at all and struggled as am drug sensitive so could only take nurofen with panadol osteo. Step at a time, but sounds like you're smashing it! :) Melinda xo
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Hi @matt Just wondering how you're going.  You must be about 3/4 through your taxol, I'm guessing.