A Little Embarrassing

Options

Comments

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Thanks @ traveltext but wouldn’t it be easier to find if it was under groups. It saddens me to hear the suggestion of the likelihood of damage to revenue raising of changing.I can pretty confidently tell you many of the women on here are heartedly sick of pink overtones - this generation have moved on yet marketing has not which may ultimately work to its disadvantage with future diagnoses. It’s anachronistic which is part of the reason Love Your Sister hit such a chord as it was so relatable to this generation with its  fresh approach to  marketing.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Ha. My pink bits have all changed colour and are an unpleasant shade of puce. Total body puce, really, except for flashes of grey.  The only rosy pink I see now is my eyeballs in the mirror in the morning. Pink, schmink. 
    I get that pink shits people, particularly those of us with the disease, but it is all about the marketing and the money.
     Pink? Breast Cancer. OK.
    Who gives a shit what colour the logo is if it encourages the public to donate funds to research? Getting all hung up on pink not representing the multiple genders who get the disease is, in my opinion, completely missing the point. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    Options
    That's a good idea Joannie. 
  • Romla
    Options
    I read the manifesto - a great idea.Couple of observations is manifesto the best word for it with its sub tones maybe Charter ?? Also funds diverted to male breast cancer to match % male diagnoses ? Just some thoughts.It would be easier to build this if there was an easily identifiable group readily known to blokes who have a breast cancer diagnoses -is it in the My Journey Kit , are the Cancer Council aware of it ? I was looking for famous blokes who have had  this diagnoses -piece of trivia Peter Criss of the band Kiss has. Also try your manifesto with the AFL which is a male dominated culture as they are co -sponsoring the Field of Women - Gillon McLaughlin may be interested as may players with family members who have experienced bc - after all the players are also a new generation too and both men and women now play the game.Field of People sounds better to me.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I read your manifesto @traveltext, excellent.
  • Romla
    Options
    Sorry @ Zoffiel pink overtones is a cryptic for the feminisation by marketers of this disease - there are more examples than the colour pink. Btw pink is now trendy for blokes from what I saw at the Australian Open.
  • traveltext
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Zoffiel, there is an obviously good marketing point to using pink, but I'd argue that along with the extra funds comes the knowledge that awareness among men that they get this disease is running at around 30%. Is that acceptable? After decades of pink marketing, that's the best we can do?

And after decades if research, there's still no cure. The US group Metup have a saying, Pink is Not a Cure. A few years ago I built a website for some BCO sisters who are rabid about pink. It's here, but a warning, it's pretty strident: www.pinktobersucks dot com

Sorry the system here wouldn't allow a live link due to the word 'sucks' in the domain name!
  • traveltext
    edited May 2018
    Options

Romla, Charter may well be beter. Perhaps we were feeling revolutionary at the time
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Personally, I have mostly avoided pink all of my life (perhaps started as it being what nice little girls wore) and so, have never identified with it.  I agree with the Love Your Sister statement about the colour - something along the lines of it being soft and this battle against bc is not soft.  And the cardboard cutout to me doesn't just look like a dunny door sign - to me it represents cookie cutter women - keep us in our box - so we'd better be soft and sweet and nice and, well...pink.  And it's incredibly dated and will only become more so.  It's rather cringe-worthy, to be honest and I'm speaking as a woman in her 50s - I can't imagine what a 30 yo would think of it.  There's always a flurry when a well-known brand updates their look, but people get over it and no-one looks back until it's so long ago that it's nostalgia.  I'm so glad that the magazine name was not changed.  Before anyone gets upset with me, that is my feeling about it - I understand that others feel differently.

That's me talking of a branding that is obviously only aimed at representing women (and Love Your Sister will struggle with that, too).  If we are serious about being inclusive, no matter what colour is used, the pink lady silhouette and name should be retired.  Again, just my opinion and I know that others will disagree.
  • traveltext
    edited May 2018
    Options
  • traveltext
    edited May 2018
    Options
  • traveltext
    edited May 2018
    Options
  • traveltext
    Options
    hmmm, the system is playing up. Will post later. 
  • traveltext
    edited May 2018
    Options