A Little Embarrassing

Options

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Hi Matt,  As everyone else has said - don't be embarrassed.  I think you may be on the same chemo as me.  I had 4 AC x 3 weekly and am now on Paclitaxol each week for 12 weeks (having No. 3 tomorrow).  Interesting about the second toenails.  I have the same thing but put it down to kicking a ladder (accidentally) for one and catching the other, lifting the nail, on a lounge chair.  I do know that the AC can make you more susceptible to bruising so maybe it's just that those toes are in the firing line.
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Hi Matt, I don't have anything to add to what the others have said but just wanted to give you a friendly welcome. 
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Hi @Matt, sorry for your diagnosis but welcome.
    As the others have said, you have nothing to be embarrassed about. We have all learnt that breast cancer doesn’t discriminate whether we are young or old, male or female, super fit & healthy or otherwise.  There is lots of support here for you from both men and women.
    All the best with your treatment and we will be here if you need us.  Jane :)
  • PeterB
    PeterB Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Hi Matt
    Check out out FACEBOOK PAGE at:
    The Men’s Breast Cancer Forum. We’re based in Brisbane, and there are a couple of guys you can contact and chat to at any time.
    we’ve all been thru exactly what you are going thru.
    would love to hear from you.
    Also on gmail at: mensbreastcancerforum@****
    Peter Bennett
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi Matt and welcome. Have you told your Dr about the discolored toes?. It's not uncommon to lose toenails with taxol (12 week one) but you aren't on it yet.  Dark toes could be circulation issues so please see your Dr asap, contact chemo team or your breast care nurse (have  you one of those? ) 

Ask anything you want and we will help as much as we can.
     <3 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Welcome Matt. Not sure about the purple toe part but a white nail means the nail bed is damaged and it might lift off. I stayed out of the sun with mine and while they all receded finger and toe nails alike I managed to keep them on until they grew out months later. Try to keep them trimmed so they don't catch on anything. Soaking the feet in water with epsoms salts may help.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Welcome Matt ! We are all here in the same boat helping each with support and practical advice. There is usually someone on here most hours of the day if you need a chat too. Glad to know you found us !
  • Romla
    Options
    @PeterB and @traveltext don’t suppose you bloke might set up a steer an online group for blokes on this blog.There maybe issues blokes may care to talk to another bloke or uniquely male issues.Might help young newbies  like Matt settle in.PS Blogging on the main page of course is always available and most welcome
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I guess all we can do for now is descend in droves on you and Peter when anyone identifies as male and lost. Seems we are getting pretty good at it :)
  • Romla
    Options
    Where is the place for blokes to post on here please @traveltext as I can’t see it in groups. How do they market bc and in particular male bc in the US as fit could help a movement to recalibrate the image in Australia? I guess it goes without saying Pink Lady and Field of Women aren’t helpful - there must be a way to adapt both to reflect reality without destroying the goodwill embraced in current branding ie small steps forward rather than this constant overlooking the obvious. If possible eventually a new brand might be accepted if edged forward a little incorporating old and new branding.
  • Romla
    Options
    Hey @ Matt I understand late starting I had unexpected twin boys at 47 and my daughter planned at 40 - all very loved.There are great people on this blog who will help you along the way to the best they can - males and females. Hey Peter and @ traveltext thanks for being here to help.
  • MoiraC
    MoiraC Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Hi @Matt- just wanted to add my welcome to you and to wish you well on this journey. Your toes sounds like they are in need of help - definitely show dr or one of the nurses prior to next chemo -common side effect as others have said. My oncologist has been very strong on recommending regular podiatry to keep the nails etc under control -they can get infected without care and the last thing you need is an infection. All the best
  • traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Romia, there's a men's page here:
    http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/comment/111982#Comment_111982

In the US there's a male bc week held in October in most states. BCNA held a nation first male bc day last year and I'm hoping they'll build on it again, this year.

You're right that the pink is an issue insofar as it reinforces the disease as female only in the community. While we had success here last year reversing TG he Beacon name change to Pink Lady, we realise how big the Rask is to add some blue, just a small bit, to all the pink around here. Likely it would interfere with revenue raising to have us up featured too prominently. Meanwhile we're diagnosed later and our prognosis is poorer.

A mate and I have drawn up a manifesto to ask for some changes to the pink culture: www.malebc.org/manifesto