Dieting

Options

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi there again. I want to share my snack box idea. It idea was included in the facebook link I included of "feed me healthy"...but I'll  just add some pics here in case you don't have facebook. So the idea of the snack box is to have nutritious planned grazing food. I eat a high protein breakfast. A nutritious lunch such as mexican salads or stir frys. All very lean with compmex carbs if any are had. Yesterday I cooked up pumpkin soup but added chickpeas and beans so I don't need or want bread with it. Dinner is normally a good balance of veg, ptotein and complex carbs. The grazing box stops me eating biscuits, buying cakes etc. I make nutritious mug muffins in miniture sizes (I oven bake these) . It includes fresh fruits, dips...which you can make yourself if you want and very low fat greek yoghurt sweetened with no sugar maple and fresh fruit. (Or made into a dip or tzaziki)
    I pack 2 days at a time and even on weekends (which is my worst time for snacking) the first pic includes pumpkin ricotta fritters. A mini apple muffin and a mini banana pancake. Very little flour in all.
    The second one has miniture tomato, basil  and boccinici bites. Mini apple and date muffins, yoghurt with blueberries and no sugar blueberry maple syrup.

The 3rd one has hone cooked chicken breast meatballs. Beetroot dip with veggie sticks and a couple of bagle chips. Pear with cinnamon and mini banana pancakes. 

It looks like a lot of food but it prevents me over eating and covers nutrition with what feel like treats. Brilliant for work...I work in community so lunch can be at odd times so I can have a quick nibble and keep going if need be.  I have an square esky bag...the days box is packed with lunch, with ice bricks wrapped in tea towels and 2 water bottles.

I just cook up bulk foods...wrap and freeze. I pack my snack boxes when prepping for tea. They take 10 mins max if you have done some pre planning. 

@SoldierCrab and I share recipe ideas and encourage each other to push our exercise as best we can. It's not just about being thin but healthy with a zest for  life.
    @Sister @Nadi @kmakm @Hendrix

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    They look brilliant @primek.  I'd love the recipes for the cooked stuff - I'm always looking for healthy options for snacks (for kids and adults!)
  • primek
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Mini pancake recipe. Or you can make 2 big pancakes. Or you can put into cupcake tin and bake and completely diffetent texture. For mini cake/muffin...couple pieces of chopped banana in it is nice or even some dates and add some cinnamon. If wanting sweeter you can add a splash of no sugar maple. This recipe is designed for 1 person for breakfast...you just keep multiplying for extras. It makes about 8 mini pancakes.

3-ingredient banana pancakes white

SmartPoints®™ value: 2

Servings: 1

Prep Time: 10

Cooking Time: 5

Level of Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients

1 small Banana, fresh, ripe

1 medium Egg, chicken, whole, raw

2 tbs white self-raising flour

Instructions

1. Mash banana in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in egg, then flour until smooth. Set aside for 5 minutes.

2. Lightly spray a medium non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Spoon 2 tablespoons batter into pan and spread out with the back of a spoon until 1cm thick. Repeat with remaining batter to make 2 more pancakes.

3. Cook for 1–2 minutes or until golden. Turn and cook for 1–2 minutes or until pancakes are golden and cooked through. Serve.

If baking. .approx 20 minutes moderate oven. 

@si@Sister

• primek
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The apple muffin recipe 

Kathy's  Apple Oat Mug muffin

Servings: 1 or 4 medium or 6 mini muffins 

Prep Time: 5

Cooking Time: 2 ...in microwave or 20 in moderate oven. Check cooked  on bottom as apples are moist.

Level of Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients

1 medium Egg, Beaten

⅓ cup(s) dry rolled oats

1 tsp Queen, Essence, Imitation, Vanilla, 1/2 to 1

ground cinnamon to taste

2 small Apple, red, unpeeled, fresh, grated. or one very large juicy apple

2 tbs Vitasoy, Soy Milk, UHT, Light, to ensure moist enough (or milk...you might not need)

2 individual Dates, chopped

ground nutmeg to taste (I just shake till looks right)

1 tbs Syrup, maple flavoured, sugar-free

Instructions

1. Mix ingredients and place in large mug.

2. Microwave on high for 2 to 2.5 minutes depending on oven.

3. If preference is sweeter add sugar free maple.

4. Serve with fresh berries and dollop of zero point yoghurt and maple

5. Can be placed into smaller muffins for a smaller serve  and baked in oven for approx 25 mins. Sprinkle cinnamon on top prior baking.

@Sister

• primek
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Pumpkin fritters...from "feed me healthy" facebook page. @Sister

• primek
    edited May 2018
    Options

My version had red onion,  basil and parsley. And I used minced  garlic. You can change the herbs and spices to change flavour. I also used some salt and pepper. I made about 20 not 25. 

@Sister
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    These recipes sound scrumptious and straightforward, I'll definitely be trying them all. Thank you so much for posting them @primek.

I'm not too bad on the snacking front, I use one of my two serves of fruit a day as one snack, and 20 - 30gs of nuts (a mixture of brazil, almond & walnuts) as the other. However some days I am hungrier than others and with four school lunch boxes to fill, these recipes sound just the ticket.

I weighed myself today for the first time since the morning of the operation. 3.2kgs gone since then, some of it riddled with DCIS and hopefully incinerated in the medical waste furnace. I am officially no longer obese, 'just' overweight. Last time I was this weight was 2009. Onwards and upwards (ie downwards on the scales!), healthy living here I come.
  • Josephine66
    Josephine66 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    @kmakm may i ask what diet you followed and did you do so while on chemo. Lost 20 kg so far? Im gaining as i breathe air. Desperate here!
    Thanks in advance 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,507
    Options
    It is very tough, I put on 6kg through chemo and on top of that the unnatural menopause adds to it and then....if you take an AI. I'm 2.5yrs post chemo and cannot shift what all of that combination has done to me. I walk 10,000 steps a day in my job, I feel great but ummm weight? what hope against menopause?? I eat well and that's all I can do. Chemo is a beast and I do think had I gone into a natural menopause I wouldnt have had such a major problem as this. Its tough...but all you can do is work at it bit by bit. I'd love to be back where I was but realistic? not sure...but I'll keep on plodding. My Surgeon said in time it will come off and resettle...haha. hmmm ageing doesnt help as our bodies change too. Fantastic to you all who have managed to do it. x
  • Hendrix
    Hendrix Member Posts: 324
    Options
    @melclarity that’s what I’m worried about..not been able to shift these extra extra kilos.  I’m hoping the 8 BSD works

@SoldierCrab do you eat the same dinner for 3 nights? That would make my life so much easier and cost effevtive as i live on my own. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Josephine66 It's nothing startling I'm afraid. I gave up alcohol (other than the occasional one at Christmas, birthdays etc), stopped eating dessert, replaced my one latte/flat white a day with one macchiato a week approx). I emphasise eating protein, eat lots of salads, veg & veg soups. Two serves of fruit a day, complex carbs at one to two meals a day but never three.

I try to have finished eating by 7 - 8pm, and so don't eat for 12 - 14 hours overnight. Research has shown this to be very important for health and weight control.

I pay attention to gut health. I have plain yoghurt most days, have the odd Yakult, drink kombucha, eat kimchi. Both the latter are low in kjs.

I try to control my portion sizes, I weigh a lot of what I eat, and I count kjs on an app on my phone.

I count steps on an app on my phone. When I'm my normal self I aim for 10,000 a day minimum, but get better results if it's over 12,000. I do stuff like park in the furthest car park from the supermarket at the shopping centre. That plus the walk round the supermarket adds about 1.7kms of walking to my day! When I'm well I walk the dog 4 - 7kms most days. I live in a hilly area and try to go fast.

I weigh myself every morning. I know this is not for everyone but it helps me to stay accountable and I learn to understand what makes my weight fluctuate.

Finally, I'm not too ruthless. I do have some chocolate from time to time, mostly dark and good quality and rarely 'too much'. If my husband has chips out, I have a handful, but only one. I'll have a spoonful of the yummy dessert, but not a serve, I'll have a slice of birthday cake but not a big one. You gotta live!

However mostly boring self-discipline and willpower is heavily involved. For example, on Friday night some girfriends took me out to a wine bar to celebrate my coming through the operation and return to good health. Two of them ordered the charcuterie plate. Now I adore charcuterie! But fatty cheeses & an array of salty cured meats and breads are not good for your waistline. So I declined to share and had lamb kofta and a roast tomato salad instead. Protein & veg. Thankfully it was delicious.

The reality is sometimes I've just gotta be hungry. It helps shrink my stomach. I can't lose weight without sometimes feeling hungry. Not all the time, but it's good to feel it every now and then. Hunger is my friend I say to myself.

I'd like to lose another 8 - 13kgs. I'm paranoid about putting any of the lost weight back on. I don't know how menopause is going to treat me yet, or the Letrozole. I will be despairing if I start to gain. Eternal vigilance will be required. Good luck Josephine! Let me know how you get on. K xox
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,507
    Options
    Oh boy well I enjoy my chocolate in moderation, not giving everything up and stop living lol. As long as Im active and eat well thats it. I worked extensively with my Exercise Physiologist and have learnt alot, she said I've smashed my recovery. I'll never be where I was pre 2 diagnosis but boy I've worked hard and am very happy where i am...Ive been through too much in 7yrs and my body moreso to put it through the wringer with extreme diets and exercise. Slow and steady wins the race :) 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options
    @Hendrix
    Yes I sometimes do that or I freeze the leftovers for another evening. 
    I will eat treats when I am out for lunch with friends or for special occasions etc but it is a matter of choosing the best options available for the main meal and then occasionally having say a dessert.  I drink 3 litres per day of water as that is what my weight range needs for hydration each day. This also helps to keep the hunger away. I am under my GP's guidance and she has said it is not extreme but a good diet when I was so obese. I know my weight loss would of been higher if I had exercised more but working from home has its disadvantages. not many steps from my bedroom to my office. 

Hendrix the bacon and beans with zucchini noodles is very much more yummier on the 2nd night. 

• Hendrix
    Hendrix Member Posts: 324
    Options
    @SoldierCrab cool thank you...
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options
    Hendrix the tomato ham and lentil soup gave me  7 large serves it freezes well and is very yummy