Family Drama

Options

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Funnily enough @Romla, last year my daughter (now 15) and I talked about getting ukelele lessons together. I keep a list on my phone of post treatment new normal ideas, and I am putting this on it right now!  <3
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    I can see you , your daughter and @arpie on the circuit having fun!
  • Romla
    Options
    @kmakm I havequite a few friends in uke groups - the one common thing I have noticed is a lot of laughter and smiles on their dials.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,596
    edited April 2018
    Options
    hehe, yes, I reckon uke DOES give you special powers, @kmakm
     - there is ALWAYS another song that you love that you want to learn to play ..... and you NEVER see a grumpy ukulele player!  ;)   The best thing is - you have to concentrate at it (or even just noodle around) and it takes your mind off things, big time!!  :)   Let me know if you want to give it a go - I have THOUSANDS of songs!  Lots of really easy ones, too, to start off with!  ;)

A buddy actually imports some into Australia .... I reckon I'd be able to get one or two from him as a donation that we could spread around BCNA ..... I'll work on him!   ;)    Melbourne has some of the biggest strongest clubs out there!!  I BET there'd be one near you & your daughter!  ;)  So put it at the TOP of your list!! I can send you a list of 'tips' to help you on your way!  :)  

Absolutely, @Romla  - playing uke is the best fun you can have, siting down!!  ;) 

hehehe, I think ukulele is one of the things that pisses my sister off .... I am better at it than her! LOL (I introduced her to it a few years back now.)

I use my kayak fishing too as another outlet to go to another planet ..... ANYTHING you can do (that you love) will take your mind off things that are not in your best interest!  ;)  It doesn't matter what it is, so long as you enjoy doing it!  Now .... knitting & sewing would bore me to TEARS!!  But I can be on the kayak, fishing for up to 8hrs & just LOVE IT - even if I don't catch anything!  (hmmm, perhaps that is a SLIGHT exaggeration!  I HATE not catching anything!) 

Hey!  I love my sister too - it is just that now & then, I don't particularly 'like her'!!   :(    We'll stay with her & her hubby next time we are up in Qld ..... just for a few days - and hopefully we won't go too feral with each other!  LOL

Re being 'sorted' .... trust me, I have my meltdowns now & then and can burst into tears at the drop of a hat!  I had a bit of practise at 'doing this cancer thing' from when hubby was diagnosed with stomach cancer back in 2010 - and he is one of the very few that survive past 5 years, post op, having most of his stomach removed.

Currently, I have a couple of dear friends going thru their own cancer dramas & they are much worse off than me - sadly, one is terminal with it metastasised to his bones - but he is just such an amazing, lovely fellow who still gets out kayak fishing offshore, even during his chemo treatment, whilst he is still able to - it is his 'church'.  His wife is a uke player & is going to Norfolk with me - so I look forward to spending some quality time with her there. The other has been diagnosed with Lymphoma on top of the major melanomas removed from his shoulder & has to wait for that to all heal before having to deal with the Lymphoma :(    I am more than thankful that mine was small, caught early & is 'under control' at this point in time ..... tho not looking forward to the tablets!  :neutral:

Take care & do what ya gotta do ..... this is about YOU, not them!  ;)  xxx
  • kmakm
    Options
    @arpie and @Romla, my ukelele cheer squad! I shall keep you posted  :)
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Ukes sound like fun!  @kmakm I don't know about "cool restraint" - whichever path you choose with this, it won't be unemotional but you're already on an emotional tightrope with your family and that's not good.
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Sister No, it's not. Can't change them so have to change myself, how I react.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    That’s true love. It sucks though doesn’t it. You’re not the problem remember they are xxx
  • kmakm
    Options
    @onemargie I'm the effing solution 
  • Romla
    Options
    Great point made by @Zoffiel - release anger and hurt with intense physical activity.Good time to knead bread dough too ! PS Unproductive though it may be hitting the mattress with a tennis racquet is another option 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,596
    Options
    AND ... after all that intense physical activity - you should sleep really well too!!!  :) 

The truth is, that you can't get on with all the people all the time - even family (or in @Zoffiels case .... the boss!!)  LOL  I had a Headmaster boss who was a bit like your boss ....and just had to laugh!  In my head, I was telling him to Fxxx OFF all the time (and other things!!)  Years later - I realised it was the start of me going thru menopause (and didn't realise it!) & I swear I was the grumpiest person EVER to go thru menopause!  LOL  So maybe it was ME after all!  LOL

With Uke - you NEVER have nothing to do!!  :)  I tell my guys to NOT pack it away in the bag/case ..... leave it out, near your favourite evening chair, so that during adverts, you can just pick it up & have a go ..... Sometimes there is a nice tune on a show or advert & I try & work it out 'in real time'!  All part of the fun & a real challenge!   :)
  • kmakm
    Options
    A holiday hole for @Zoffiel

• kmakm
    Options
    A bit more productive for @Romla

• kmakm
    Options
    Loving the uke tips @arpie