Family Drama

Options

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Sister Neither can I. Brain is like a sieve... We're heading to the beach. A friend has invited us to join her in Portsea.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Lovely - I'm jealous! Have a fantastic time.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    PS I don't know Portsea buty cousin has a place at Safety Beach and I believe it's nice around there.
  • kmakm
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thank you @Sister. This is a dear old friend who invited us down when I was diagnosed. We had a long chat and then she said "I don't know what to do to help". I said you already have! The invitation for these Easter holidays has given me something to look forward to since December. With a bit of luck I'll get a speccy sunset photo  :)

Mind you, the two youngest kids are already driving us insane in the car. Because their elbows are "touching"...! Garrgghh!!  :#
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    Options
    Have a lovely time away @kmakm , talk soon x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Joannie Not just two minutes ago we were talking about when we'll go there for dinner!
  • kmakm
    Options
    Absolutely @tigerbeth, thank you. K xox
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Is it still open?  The Portsea Pub was on the news for upsetting brides as they are closing for renovation and the brides have to look for an alternative.  I don't know if it is now or next month
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options
    Enjoy it kmakm soak up the salt air and recoup 

• kmakm
    Options
    @iserbrown Closed from the 1st May!
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    hi there @kmakm we too had dramas with family whilst I was going through chemo. long story but the best thing we did was just disconnect from them and still do it was the best therapy and its only when you step back that you realise just how toxic they have been in the past and sometimes its for the best that's for sure so no regrets from us for doing that. Since my diagnosis ive made an executive decision that I just don't want anyone in my life that doesn't really give a shit about me or my family or has time for me or my family, it was all very one sided there at one stage and hence why we have cut them out of our lives now so its a good thing for me and my husband mentally,  nor do I tolerate dickheads anymore like I used to either. I just don't have time for them. I know @zoffiels advice might seem harsh to some but I totally agree its sometimes for the best and I know we are so much better off without all the extra stress. Margie xx
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,596
    Options
    Hi @kmakm  ....  after so much excellent advice in the preceding pages ..... what can I say - other than .... been there, done that!

The facts are - You can't choose family!  :(   It is THEIR problem, not yours, so I hope you can distance yourself from it & try & not let it affect you & the continuing surgery/treatment that you are having.

I deliberately haven't told a section of my 'closest family' (step sister & step brother's family - we have 55+ years of 'family' history) as I really don't need them in my fight for numerous reasons ..... but then, even my blood sister can be a real pain in the arse too!!  For some reason, whenever we get together - she turns vicious within 2 days ....  She visited us over Easter & sure enough, the barbs came out within a matter of days!  I couldn't believe it!  Then, when talking to our brother - she says that I am 'fine - nothing wrong'!  WTF does SHE KNOW??

You don't HAVE to tolerate dickheads/extra baggage - it is not in your best interests - so ... stuff 'em.  Put all your energies into looking after YOU .... your hubby sounds like a great 'guard dog' ..... that is just wonderful that he is looking after you!

Sadly - mine has early dementia and he still doesn't really understand what has happened to me over the last 4 months, so isn't any help at all!  Matter of fact, I was forced into looking after HIM for the whole 4 weeks of my rads (as well as the last 2 weeks since I've finished), as he injured his ribs in a bike fall - and is only now, ''coming good''!  :(   

Stay Strong - do what you have to do to get the negatives out of your life.  You don't need them!  Take care & some BIG HUGS coming your way!  xx
  • kmakm
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @arpie I just read your answer outloud to my husband. He said "Quite right". It is the gist of everyone's advice and I will endeavour to take it. It will require quite some mental discipline. She is my sister after all, who I love. However this whole BC experience is teaching me, forcing me to make changes. In this case, which is so complicated, it will be mostly internal. I will work on some of @SoldierCrab's circle and square imagery, and try to apply some of @Primek, @Romla and @Sister's cool restraint. This new normal stuff is a lot of work!

You have a tremendous lot on your plate. But you sound a lot more sorted than me. Does the ukelele give you special powers?!

Thank you for the hugs, gratefully received and sending some straight back. K xox
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @kmakm might be a good time to find out if it does have special powers - buy a uke , join a uke group plus there’s heaps of videos on YouTube .Why not try something new for yourself ?