Disappointed in The Beacon's name change

Options

Comments

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @Zoffiel might be an idea to contact BCNA sponsors so they understand why the concern eg Bakers Delight. 
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    @AFraser is it possible to CC your letter on our behalf to the Chair of the BCNA Board? If so, that would ensure a response. :)

(C'mon @BCNA where is your risk mitigation here? You're alienating members.)
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
    Options
    @BCNA and @Christine_BCNA-CEO - we are all feeling exactly as @Zoffiel has clearly stated on the previous page of this post.
    Please take your head out of the sand as this issue is certainly not going away - and ladies will be sure to keep the topic refreshed to the front page.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    CC ing to entire board.
  • Romla
    Options
    @Afraser Might Be wise to cc the sponsors as many have the Pink Lady image as part of their marketing
  • Romla
    Options
    Understand @Afraser I gave my name early on - Romla , Adelaide
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Indeed, got you on the list, many thanks Romla.
  • Romla
    Options
    @Afraser Please include me on list objecting to name change of the Beacon magazine @BCNA - Romla , Adelaide
  • June1952
    Options
    I agree with @Afraser.  Please do not rush into any contact with sponsors as that may well be the end of BCNA - the money supports all of us on this site.
    Pester BCNA for some decent hearing and action re the magazine name first.  It is indeed disappointing that they have been so slack in regards to members' opinions.
    After that has settled members can start a separate conversation about the logo and other issues.
  • traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    Options

I agree that going after the sponsors would be counterproductive for now. 

BCNA’s income in 2016 according to its latest report was
    $7,855,863 and it comes from the following sources:

Events: 7%

Corporate partnerships: 35%

Appeals, donations, bequests: 29%

Government grants, contracts: 13%

Community fundraising: 12%

Other: 4%

BCNA’s expenditure in 2016 was $8,670,000 and it's used for the following purposes:

Salaries: 52%

Administration: 10%

Support for events: 12%

Non-salary costs, IT, etc: 25%

Depreciation: 1%

Looking through this latest report shows how much the "pink lady" iconography contributes to BCNA's corporate image. And looking at other pink charities, including those worldwide, it's the same. Pink equals dollars. Even when so much of the money is spent on yet more awareness raising and duplicate research, the bucks keep rolling in. The allure is obvious, pink is for women suffering from breast cancer, pink is for lost breasts, pink is for young women diagnosed, often with kids in tow. Pink is for those deceased.

Give us even more money please and we'll raise yet more awareness.

I believe people on this thread get this, management either doesn't understand, or doesn't want to know. They'd prefer we went back to making the BNCA forum a success and they'll run the charity as they feel fit.

• June1952
    Options
    Thanks for that simple budget explanation @traveltext - gee, they did overdo the spending, eh ?
    "management either doesn't understand, or doesn't want to know". - As said previously they have head in the sand syndrome - and paid highly to do so.
    "They'd prefer we went back to making the BNCA forum a success and they'll run the charity as they feel fit". - They want to sit on their past laurels and not work for their dollars - and as I see it, BCNA is not a charity, it is a damn big business like most other 'charities' these days.
    The fallout from this post may well reduce their donations and bequests big time so they need to sit up, listen to the members and act.

• Romla
    Options
    @Summerhill38 and  @traveltext looks like@BCNA needs a reboot and refresh in many areas if they are to stay a viable not-for-profit.
  • traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    Options

BCNA made a good start last year in promoting awareness of male breast cancer and have pretty well de-gendered the text of the website. 'Women' has been replaced by 'women and men' or 'people'. Unfortunately there is much more work to be done to raise public awareness levels that this is a man's disease too. Moving forward, the biggest obstacle I see is to break through the whole pink thing and somehow present some blue into the marketing equation.

We need some extra effort after years of discrimination, because too many men have died after presenting late for medical help due to believing they couldn't get this disease.

I know there are marketing minds out there that could solve this problem and I've suggested to BCNA that they pose this dilemma to an ABC Gruen panel and see what comes out of this.