What NOT to say to people affected with breast cancer

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    Options
    People amaze me every day with what they say. When I first coloured my first crop of post chemo hair, someone told me that it looked much better than looking like a scarecrow beforehand. I was sitting in an open cafe, and just ignored the person. The other thing that is confronting is that people look at your chest first......... My face is right here
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Lots of insenstive foot in mouth dialogue aka IFIMD 
    Words are often not needed
    A big wish for warm and senstive huggs  to all 
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    A girl at my work place said your so lucky you got cancer. They have given you a better job since you came back.lol
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options
     OMG  @adean  sounds like she has no brains.... so sorry she said that to you .... HUGS xoxo 
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    No l said well if your lucky and get cancer as well you may get a better job too. She then said oh adean your so funny!
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You look so well....is my pet hated saying ..it took me 2 hours to pick my scarf, clothes, shower, rest and put on makeup before entering the same hospital I work at just to have a friggin blood test pre chemo.

Are you in remission? Umm....I was hoping I'm cured!

Your hair looks amazing...yes I know people are being nice....but it's not my pre cancer treatment hair.

You are brave ....endure yes...brave ...no...like we choose this path. Courageous. ..maybe...as we get up, dress up and show up even when we want to give up. 

It's in your family.....said by my half sister. Well .... I don't have that gene so there  :p
  • Jane_Elizabeth
    Jane_Elizabeth Member Posts: 158
    Options

"Great, your treatment's finished.......so that's it then?"

• nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    You go girl @InkPetal xxx
  • InkPetal
    InkPetal Member Posts: 499
    Options
    Oh boy does that ever need a proof-read. ....*wrings collar* eeesh
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    @InkPetal this cant be . I am actually smiling. You have put into words all the things I would like to say to well meaning people and dont.
     I just hope one day I dont loose it. At times I am happy to be positively grumpy 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2017
    Options
    "Get in the sea, shit head" Oh my, I can use that today. Thanks @InkPetal
  • Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Things I remember being annoyed about were:

- I am sure you are going to be fine, said very enthusiastically  (so presumably this excuses them from worrying  about me or or providing support?)
    - long tales of people they know but I don't, who died from cancer (quite insensitive I think and I don't know these people and never will)
    - long tales about trivial problems while failing to ask how I am or offer support (am I supposed to care about these trivial problems now?)
    - how I need to read about how the Chinese treat cancer (how could I possibly care)
    - don't eat sugar because it makes the cancer grow (chemotherapy nurses just said sadly, if it was the easy, we wouldn't have a job)
    - but one of my breasts is smaller then the other too (please can I have some sympathy, my breasts are now very different sizes)
    - telling me how much help they have provided to friends with cancer, but sadly, not to me (so they know how to provide support but just don't want to give any to me)
    -my favorite was, when I said 90% of woman with breast cancer survive 5 years, that he was a statistician and this did not mean I would be in the 90%, I might be in the 10% that does not survive (quite obvious, did not need pointing out, not kind or helpful, especially from my father!)

Many people mean well and just lack the imagination to realize what they are saying is stupid or insensitive. Of course lots of people say wonderful things.  
  • Pammy46
    Pammy46 Member Posts: 162
    Options
    Love it @InkPetal