Who else can't sleep?

Options

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I try all sorts (even prescription drugs) but nothing really works.  I can barely function by 9:30pm so go to bed.  Start waking up around 12, usually go back to sleep in a doze for a little while, replay, then wake up completely at about 2:30-3am and will finally give up sometime around 4-4:30am.  I don't use any devices around bedtime and the bedroom is kept for bedroom activities.  A glass of wine (1 only) used to help but I'm not having that now.  I tried hot milk last night but the problem really isn't going to sleep, it's going BACK to sleep (or in fact, not waking up at ridiculous hours)  I'll give the square breathing a go tonight but I do already try a meditative type state which used to work but doesn't now.

Time will tell...I'll either be gently snoring in the bedroom, or meeting you lovely ladies online at 5am!
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    It's irritating, I agree, I drop off to sleep
    like a good baby most nights, but tend to wake up as sleep cycles change. Most nights I wake up at 3.30 like an alarm went off, except nothing has happened to wake me! Fine if I can get back to sleep, preferably before 5.30. On the positive side, I am getting rather good at sudoku. 
  • Mollygirl
    Mollygirl Member Posts: 213
    Options
    Sadly me too.  Damn I hate being tired. So sick of it. I'm now trying prescription Melatonin again to hopefully reset myself before I go back to work in a month. 
    Why can't we turn our brains off???
    Yours in sleeplessness, 
    xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @mollygirl My GP has mentioned melatonin when I've had the sleep conversation with her. Let us know how you go with it. I'm interested.
  • kmakm
    Options
    @sister & @Sunshine0206, I've had some success with 4-7-8 when trying to get to sleep in the past. In for 4 seconds, hold for 7 seconds, exhale for 8 seconds. You do it five times. Calms the nervous system.

But getting to sleep isn't usually the problem now. Like everyone else it seems, it's repeatedly waking through the night and then the struggle to get back to sleep.

My surgeon says he doesn't normally advocate "sleepers". I don't get why. Good sleep promotes good physical and mental health, not to mention good healing and cell repair. I feel like this aspect of a BC diagnosis is not taken seriously enough.
  • Sister
    Options
    It does seem that this is a struggle for many.  Here I am again at 5am after trying to get back to sleep for the last 3 1/2 hours.  But at 9:30 last night, I could not keep my eyes open and I fell asleep withing minutes of going to bed.  And I absolutely do need more than 4 hours a night.  I've never heard of Melatonin @Mollygirl - is it a sedative? 
    @Afraser I find the problem with puzzles (and books) is that I get engrossed.  I used to play solitaire on the computer when I couldn't sleep during pregnancy but now, like a good girl, I try to avoid blue light until I give up completely.
  • kmakm
    Options
    Awake here too @sister. At 0141, 0356 and 0543. Regular like clockwork, and tonight with a side serve of wicked hot flushes. I was still menstruating in November! I continue wicked astonished that that part of my life is over...

Melatonin is a natural product the body uses to regulate sleep cycles. My nephew and niece were prescribed synthetic melatonin a lot while their mother was dying. It's gentle and non-habit forming. It might be worth asking your gp about it. Can be a bit pricey though I believe.
  • Sister
    Options
    I can see at least 4 of us who should be sleeping peacefully.

@kmakm I think there's a number of areas of bc that aren't taken all that seriously and I agree, the only dr who recognised the importance of sleep for me was my GP who has now run away to Orange.
  • kmakm
    Options
    Evap cooling is on but I don't think it helps that it's very windy and 28.5°...
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    @Sister melatonin is a hormone that regulates sleep. I've tried taking it but it gave me a strange feeling of not quite being asleep which creeped me out. It's worth a try though as I know people who swear by it.

@kmakm if you surgeon doesn't like sleepers he shouldn't take them. That's got nothing to do with you, get your GP to prescribe you some. I worship my little bottle of sleep. I'm very careful about when I take them--three utterly shitful nights and the fourth is take a pill time. Knowing that I have them is very reassuring. Oxazepam is my choice as I can also use it as a sedative if I'm having something revolting done to my body.
  • kmakm
    Options
    To continue to whinge, bone pain contributing to the wakefulness tonight too, esp at 0345 when the painkiller wore off.

@Zoffiel I did manage to get my GP to prescribe some Temazepam, with the strict instructions to not use more than three times a week so as to prevent habit forming. That's not a problem for me so there's no drama there. It's just that they're not very strong and don't prevent me from waking through the night!

I'm screwed this week though as it's chemo week and I'm permitted to take two per night, three nights in a row, to counterract the Dexy (they still don't keep me asleep) and I've done my dash.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    If you are not taking a magnesium supplement, ask your onc if it is ok. Low magnesium levels make the aching worse,
  • Sister
    Options
    @kmakm - What time have they got you taking the Dexy?  I was told to take 2 in the morning and any effect had worn off by mid-afternoon (which in turn meant that I couldn't sleep because I was feeling so ill) as it's only good for about 8 hours(?).  Unless, of course, you've got a stronger dose.  
  • kmakm
    Options
    Will do *adds to list*
  • Sister
    Options
    I'm hoping that my appointment with the onc on Thursday prior to 2nd chemo is longer than 10 minutes - I've got a page of things to report and ask and still some days to go to add more!
This discussion has been closed.