Breast cancer and costochronditis

Options
Nadi
Nadi Member Posts: 619
This month has been really tough. My mum was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis which we are told is terminal. My father who has dementia went into respite, got very ill and now he too has been admitted to hospital. They tell me Dad will have to go into a nursing home. It all just breaks my heart. I am splitting my time between two hospitals because mum and dad are in different ones as well as working full time and trying to sort out a nursing home. It's been tough as I have no siblings here to share the load. The emotional toll has been -- well you can imagine.

So it was no surprise that I wasn't feeling very well and was very tired. Then, In the past 2 weeks I developed very debilitating chest pain that got progressively worse. I thought it could have been my port, but it felt more like severe neulasta pain that's a real deep bone pain. Like someone has just punched you in the chest. After developing shortness of breath I ended up in the Emergency Room. Scanned, poked and prodded. They asked me about my diagnosis and the possibility of mets which sent me into a spin, but ended up diagnosing costochonditis which I have never heard of before. Apparently it is inflammation of the joint where the ribs meet the sternum. I tell you it hurts like a son of a gun, and that's already after I am on Norspan patches for my osteo arthritis. Goodness knows how I could cope with the pain if I wasn't on Norspan.

Just wondering if anyone else has had it and how long it takes for the pain to go away? Was also told that if it's still there in 2 weeks to see my onc and get more scans done to rule out mets.

Thanks in advance

Nadi

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I haven't had it but certainly heard of it. What a lot of stress you are under. I recall when nursing my terminally ill Dad at home I got gingervitis and Conjunctivitis. The Dr absolutely believed it was my body being run down due to stress. I really hope it settles soon and things become easier with your parents. Just keep saying to yourself...it is unlikely to be anything more than this...I've had the best treatment. But as always seek advise again if no improvement. Kath x
  • wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    Options
    Hi Nadi , sorry to hear you are going through such a rough time at the moment. Reading through your post I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to let your oncologist know anyway. My oncologist likes  to be informed straight away if I have any new pain, but I do have mets in my bones. I'm sure you will be fine. 
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    Dear Nadi, sorry for the tough time at the moment. To have two parents in hospital each at different locations would be very hard. I know how very tough a terminal diagnosis is as I went through it two  years ago with my mum. My thoughts are with you.
    Lisa x 
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Big huggs Nadi
    im with wendy good idea to find time to contact onc all best bright
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    You must be exhausted, @nadi We are told we are stronger than we know, but when I read a post like this it hits home that when the planets align and it's your turn to be in the shit there really is no mercy. You are going to have to ride it out and deal with yet another bloody thing, but I'm hoping that every once in a while you get the gift that keeps us going; a good nights sleep. Marg xxx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    This sounds so vary hard. I went through finding a home for my mother, in Queensland while I live in Melbourne, no siblings either. The good news is I found an extremely good and affordable one that my mother lived in happily, it can be done! But this was pre cancer and my dad was no longer alive. I sincerely hope you feel better soon, and have some help from the hospitals your parents are in. Caboolture Hospital was my lifeline at that time, incredibly supportive and helpful in spite of being over full and understaffed. Best wishes.
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Placing a parent in a nursing home is not an easy thing to do. My inlaws and an aunt had to be in care at different time At first there was sadness but after a while the home felt like home and they did settle. The nursing home my relations ended up in was caring and kind. 
    It must be hard being the parent to your parents. You are doing the best you can.
    The load you are under is enormous. Hope things get easier best wishes
  • Jane_Elizabeth
    Jane_Elizabeth Member Posts: 158
    Options
    I had costochondritis after an episode of pleurisy. The dr could not say whether thr two were connected. Mine ended up being infective costochondritis. It hung around for about 4 months, and only cleared after a 6 week course of antibiotics. I never felt quite right until after the antibiotics, so keep an eye on how you feel and jump onto it if it still doesnt feel right, as I was told that the next step would have been removal of the affected rib.
    I hope everything else you have going on in your life settles down soon. Sounds like a really difficult time for you. Good luck, sometimes you've just got to get through the next hour, the next day, the next week....