Anxiety Plus

Options

Comments

• AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 946
    Options
    Hi there @CeeCee...so sorry about your broken ribs and I hope they heal soon. I had exactly the same happen to me back in 2016 during my boobs in the bucket breast mri scan. That same day, I had a bone scan (booked already) and the rib (only one thankfully) glowed like a neon light. There was some discussion about it by the multidisciplinary team who were initially unsure if it was a break due to bone mets, or just a straightforward break. Another regular chest x ray clarified things and the show got started. A bone density scan which I had after chemo and surgery and before starting letrozole, showed I was very much affected by osteoporosis. I've subsequently broken another rib which was spontaneous...without a fall or injury. I hope your ongoing treatment goes well for you.
  • CeeCee
    CeeCee Member Posts: 21
    Options
    @AllyJay oh wow, good to know I’m not alone here but sorry you’ve gone through it. You must’ve had some very worrying waiting times as well. I did have a bone density scan a couple of weeks ago which came back perfect so it is odd. I guess anxiety does different things to you, better get used to the new norm.Hope you are going well and pain free now xo
  • MrsMorrisey
    MrsMorrisey Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Your nurse said this is going to be the worst 30 mins of your life? 
    I’d be writing a complaint against her/him. An incredibly unprofessional thing to say to you. 
    No wonder you were tense!!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,627
    Options
    I was wondering about that comment myself!  Totally unprofessional!   Pretty sure I've had an MRI & it wasn't that horrible.

If you are claustrophobic, it could be a problem - and they are noisy things ....... but it is hardly the worst 30 mins of your life!!  THAT was when we got our diagnosis!
  • CeeCee
    Options
    @MrsMorrisey, @arpie, I totally agree with you. The bone scan nurse asked me lots of questions about it and filed an incident report. You are right it wouldn’t have been that bad but because of the rib issue it felt like hot knives stabbing me for 30 minutes. The power of the mind came into play. Not in the same ball park as diagnosis though 😫. 
  • CeeCee
    Options
    An update, I had the Mastectomy 3 days ago and came home yesterday. I am feeling no pain which is good, apparently this is quite normal but surprises me. I am doing the exercises that the physio gave me. Just wondering on anyone else’s experiences post Mastectomy as to what may happen ie swelling, how long after can that happen?, pain, does that get bad? I haven’t worn a bra and no body has said anything about it, I don’t really want to until the rib issue settles down more. Have you found sleeping on your back better, I have. Getting the dressing off in a week, then further treatment plan a few days after.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,627
    Options
    Great that you are home now & not in pain @CeeCee - I'd heard that with mastectomies! 

Just keep your meds handy, in case you need them!  And don't overdo the exercises either ... make haste slowly, as your body is still coping with the surgery and healing xx. 

I didn't have a mastectomy - but found that supporting the arm on the Op Side (with a small cushion at night) really helped ....  others will jump on soon & tell you their tips xx

take care 

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,386
    Options
    I too experienced little or no pain after a mastectomy. I also lost 17 lymph nodes and while my underarm belonged to someone else for a while, where there’s no feeling, there’s no pain! My mobility in the affected arm was very good. I did wear a bra, my original one as nothing impinged on the wound and I am large breasted. With a soft pad, I looked perfectly normal and was out and about in a matter of days. But wise to take it slowly, there’s a bit of body adjustment to make. Best wishes. 
  • CeeCee
    Options
    Can anyone recommend the perfect bra/cami/strapless bra after a single Mastectomy?
  • alex76
    alex76 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    @CeeCee hands down K mart post op bras ! Best  
    good luck with everything x
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,554
    Options
  • CeeCee
    Options
    I’ve just come from getting my Histopathology report and I am scared. There was some good news, like Mastectomy went well with clear margins. The bad news is the 6 lymph nodes were removed, one showed a 2.3mm cancer cell. This will mean Chemo, waiting to hear from an Oncologist. Does this mean I now have Metastatic cancer? I never wanted to hear that word, I know so many of you have. Are there any good news stories out there. I just cried all the way home on a 2 hour trip. I was feeling so positive, what a let down. The new norm ………. I guess I haven’t got my head around it yet.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,386
    Options
    Dear @CeeCee

I had one malignant lymph node - and no, I did not have metastatic cancer. Even though the node was HER positive and my tumour wasn’t. Metastatic means when cancer is present in other organs or significant parts. One node means that the cancer has moved a little, and so chemo to eradicate any cancer cells still around somewhere. The good news is there was only one malignant node. That may be all there was. 

Chemo is always a frightening option too but it’s been a successful treatment, many people find cold cap protects their hair and some don’t have too many side effects. I’m no stoic and I kept working throughout with little trouble. For me, it was just the best I could do to avoid a recurrence (11 years clear). 

Try taking one thing at a time. The what ifs can swamp you and many may never happen. Best wishes. 
  • CeeCee
    Options
    @Afraser thank you for taking to time to reply. You have made me feel better. As we all know it’s a shock to hear these things but as we process and hear a plan, I’m sure days will get better. Thank you xo
  • CeeCee
    Options
    Can anyone help me with this please?
    I had a Mastectomy RS 2 weeks ago. Along the incision close to the under arm I have a large, hard lump. It is not painful or inflamed. My surgeon drained fluid out a week ago and I have another build up now, not as much as before.
    Being Easter, my McGrath nurse not available until Thursday this week and my surgeon 2 hours away, can anyone advise if this lump is normal and also how long I can leave the swelling for. I have an appointment with my surgeon in 2 weeks.
    Thanks.