Struggling through Chemo

Options

Comments

• Rona
    Rona Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi GorgyS and Katie. It’s great reading how you are doing. None of this is fun but at least we can talk to each other and get it! 
    I’m happy to hear the anti nausea meds are working for you, during AC for me….. nothing worked. I took extra steroids (docs recommendation) to try and combat it, I just ended up eating everything in sight with no taste buds and the worst taste in my mouth. I gained weight in the first week and the second week I lost it so I have remained the same.
    I can honestly say the AC treatment is the worst thing I have ever experienced and could never go through that again. I honestly didn’t care if I lived or died……. I am soooo glad it’s over!!
    So I’m now day 3 of Paclitaxel, it was a 5 hour infusion for me along with the anti nausea and steroids all going in IV this time. They gave me 2 antihistamines which help with side effects and I was watched closely (every 10 mins, very slow infusion). I slept through most of it 😂, side effects from the antihistamines.
    I can’t even begin to tell you how great I feel! 
    I went to work today and I genuinely feel almost like my old self, I’m sooo happy 😊.
    I have a small sensation (tingling) in my hands but nothing of concern and I know it’s just a side effect.
    My feet are peeling a lot now and I have to wear shoes inside as I have no grip on my heals. 
    Hope my long post helps you both, I’m truly excited for my future (didn’t think I could ever get that feeling back). 
    Please keep us up to date 😘
  • GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi Rona. I am so happy for you that you overcame all the side effects and came back to normality. Thanks for sharing your experience and LOOK AFTER YOURSELF. You deserved it. 
    Wondering if your hair has started growing back on Paclitaxel. 
  • Rona
    Options
    Good morning GorgyS and thank you…. guessing my overwhelming enthusiasm shone through!!
    I asked my Oncologist about hair loss and Paclitaxel and I was told I would still lose my hair. 
    I had very long masses of curly hair….. it’s been a shock for me but one I’m going ok with. 
    I have nice smooth legs (no hair 😊) but I only lost the hair from under one arm!! 😂. My mastectomy side kept growing! I still have pain in that arm. I have cording and now 2 seromas which they will deal with after chemo.
    Im off to cook a buffet breakfast now for 30 beautiful dementia patients 😊. I get to eat with them too….. love my job and my life. 
    Stay strong….. have a great day 😊
  • Katie46
    Katie46 Member Posts: 91
    Options
    Hi @Rona glad to hear you are going so well, and paclitaxel has been kinder to you 🙂. The hair loss is a strange one, I still have some spikes on my head, eyelashes and eyebrows, underarm gone (on both sides) but hairs still on my arm, a few elsewhere, including my big toes which I would have been happy to lose 😆

Take care, and don't overdo it! Katie 

• Katie46
    Options
    Hi @Rona, how are you going with paclitaxel? My 4th AC  is pretty much running the same course as the last 3. Hope you're coping with the heat down there. 
  • Rona
    Options
    Good morning Katie, I’m still going great! Had a crash from my “high” day 4 and 5, fatigue hit me and my body ached from head to toe. I’ve only experienced mild shooting pains from the lipegfilgrastim before and I suspect it was that that caused the pain. I had to take ibuprofen for a couple of days but still NO nausea and no where near as bad as the AC. I’m day 8 today and feeling really good.
    My hands feel a little weird but nothing like what I was expecting. My heels hurt a little and I have a few blisters on my toes but again…… this is a walk in the park and I truly don’t want you to worry.
    Is your first Paclitaxel infusion next week? Are you having it weekly? If you’re having it weekly then you will be even better than me.
    This heatwave 😩, it’s hot, what can I say? 😂.
    I live rural and we often lose power here for no reason. Thankfully we haven’t the past few days!
    It’s cool here this morning so I’m guessing we are in for an early sea breeze 😊.
  • Katie46
    edited February 19
    Options
    Hi Rona, good to hear you are doing better on paclitaxel 🙂. I start on Monday next week, once a week for 12 weeks, so I'm hoping I'll be ok, at least less fatigue, and hopefully no nausea. I had an easier time on AC than you did, so I'm just worried I won't be as lucky on paclitaxel, fear of the unknown I suppose. I hope the heatwave breaks soon. I'm used to the heat in Darwin, but have been much more reliant on the aircon since I started treatment, and really haven't been able to get out walking as much as I'd like. I  bought a walking pad/treadmill and watch TV while I walk. I'm looking forward to the cool mornings in the dry season.
  • Rona
    Options
    Katie, you will be just fine. I’m having double dose Paclitaxel and easily managing. Word on the street it this drug is so much easier 😂, it’s true.
    I couldn’t walk to let my chooks out each morning let alone use a treadmill on AC. I used to be a very active person, never stopped, grow all my own fruit and veg, manage my 6 acre property and I was dissolved into nothing on AC. I can see my life coming back and I’m excited! I can hang out with the chooks again and cook meals……. I’m just so happy.
    You will be able to sell that treadmill soon, buy yourself something nice with the money and get back to walking. 😊

• Katie46
    Options
    That's great Rona, your property sounds lovely, the chooks must be happy to see you. We live in an apartment with one live plant, which I am determined to keep alive 😆 
  • Rona
    Options
    Hey Katie, just wanted to wish you well for tomorrow. Hopefully you will be as well as me, I truly feel “ok” on the Paclitaxel.
    I have my second infusion on Tuesday. I have struggled a bit with fatigue but I have become anemic, part and parcel of it I guess.
    Still no nausea and food is tasting a bit better.
    I look forward to hearing how you go.
    Take care, all the best and don’t worry 😊
  • GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 66
    Options
    I've had two sessions of AC, and I felt much better after the second than the first. With the PICC catheter, I've been doing fine so far. My oncologist is pleased with how I'm coping but mentioned that this is just the beginning and to expect more severe side effects.  Honestly, I was hoping for the opposite. It is true, it was his comment when I told him that I plan to work from home when I finish AC. He just told me to take care because of my age ( 64 years old) and when I feel unwell to have break from work. I'm not sure how I'll be with paclitaxel, which I'll start at the beginning of April. The side effects I'm dealing now are cravings and tiredness, which I manage by indulging myself with the foods I love, and when I'm tired, I rest. I still cook and do some light household chores. What I don't enjoy is going out. I also have an elliptical and spend time in my backyard. This is what suits me. My 'outings' are limited to visits to the oncologist, blood tests, PICC catheter management, and chemo sessions. All the best Rona and Katie46 with you Paclitaxel and I hope it will be easier than AC. 
  • Coastiejas
    Coastiejas Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi All
    Also my first time posting....thanks for your comments, they make me feel more "normal ". I've had 4 AC chemo rounds and start the weekly taxanes this week. I am hoping it will be easier....can't be any worse right??😉
  • Katie46
    Options
    Hi all, I had my first paclitaxel this morning. They gave me steroids and antihistamines before and I had to wait 1 hour before they could give me the infusion. They have sent me home with the medication to take in the morning before I head in for the treatment, which will speed up the process. The infusion took 1 hour. You can get a reaction from this one when it's administered, and they'll watch you very closely, which is why you get the antihistamines. They can adjust things to deal with that if it happens. I was fine, and at the moment feeling ok, no nausea so far.🤞I feel less weird than after the AC, Hopefully it lasts!
  • Katie46
    Options
    Welcome @Coastiejas 🙂 
  • Coastiejas
    Coastiejas Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks @Katie46 and well done today....I hope you keep feeling ok!🤞