Struggling through Chemo

Options

Comments

• Katie46
    Katie46 Member Posts: 92
    Options
    My symptoms seem fairly mild in comparison, I feel ok for the first few days, then hit a wall of fatigue from day 4 to 7. I'm wide awake at 3am for the first 4 days least. I feel weak and at times light headed, and then I start feeling a bit better around day 8. I have slightly peeling hands (I thought it was the hand sanitiser) and oral thrush, and I'm using Nilstat for that, and using salt/bicarb mouth wash, and biotene. I have to take a daily antibiotic as it's the wet season up here and they give it as a precaution for infection, so that may be the cause. For a few days my throat has a burning sensation when I swollow,  but my taste buds are fairly intact. My feet sometimes feel hot,  particularly at night. I've  only had 1 headache and no palpitations. I'm using almond oil on my cuticles as they were feeling dry. It really is amazing how unpredictable the side effects are. I think I got the most side effects for the first round, and slightly less for the next 2. I am craving goats cheese.
  • Rona
    Rona Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Hey Katie, just reading your post makes me feel so normal. Very similar side effects for sure. 
    I feel (as time passes) I may have gotten off lightly with the side effects but at the time when ALL of these things are happening (nausea included) it’s downright depressing!
     I’m still trying to hold down a full time job….. it’s more of a one week on, one week off atm 😩. 
    I’m day 10 today of my last red devil cycle and I have a little tingling pain (nothing that bad) which is one of the side effects I am scared of….. coping ok right now. 
    I’m in dry sunny perth and it’s a beautiful day which I am about to enjoy every minute of (at work). 

• Katie46
    Options
    I'm off work at the moment, but hoping I can do a few days a week when I start paclitaxel. On a bighter note, for now, I still have my eyebrows and eyelashes 😄
  • GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 66
    Options
    I was just running from upstairs to downstairs to pick up my phone. NO Palpitation. I am learning not to ignore the side effects and do something about that. When I feel good, I do some light house work but only what is really needed and I can do. I am better today , 7th day, but I can see we have similar side effects symptoms. Katie46...I also hope to go back to only working from home when I start paclitaxel in April. Will see. The first time in my life I am not putting pressure on myself. 
  • Rona
    Options
    I still have some of my eyebrows and eyelashes too! My hair started falling out on day 12 of my first cycle, it just came out in clumps. It was my birthday on jan 1st so my kid’s shaved my head on New Year’s Eve 😊. 
    On the plus side, I have smooth silky legs as those hairs are gone! 😊
  • Katie46
    Options
    My hair started to come out around day 14. I was a bit upset at the thought of losing my hair, but decided to get it cut short, and surprisingly I enjoyed that process, and I really liked it short.  Once is started coming out I got my husband to buzz cut it for me. It hasn't all come out I have a bit of fuzz left, and showers now feel like a spa on my head! 
  • Rona
    Options
    Awwww, me too, bit of fuzz left. My first shower I had to decrease the water pressure….. it felt very strange. 
    I’ve got lots of nice beanies/hats now which I’m beginning to get used to wearing. 
    I’m going out for my sons 18th on Saturday night and I have a “going out” one that I can add a scarf or band to. I’m excited that I should be able to taste food and be reasonably well! It shouldn’t take me too long to get ready….. no hair to do 😂
    My boss took me out for a pedicure yesterday and lunch….. really lifted my spirits.
  • Katie46
    Options
    Have fun Saturday night! 😃
  • Katie46
    Options
    How is everyone going? I had my last AC yesterday, usual issues finding a vein, I think the nurses get more stressed about it than me, my side effects seem to be the same as the last 3 rounds so far, so that's good, I think I feel slightly less 'weird' feeling but maybe I'm just getting used to it. So, first phase done and on to paclitaxel in 2 weeks. My oncologist thinks I should cope with it ok, but I suppose time will tell. Fingers crossed.
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 932
    Options
    Hello everyone I just wanted to say you are not alone.  I'm a couple of years down the track from you. I  Had a lumpectomy,  then mastectomy then chemo and radiation.   I was diagnosed during covid.  The ladies I met here online were amazing.  Just having  someone who got it.  All of it.  Who i could chat with.  I've made life long friends.  Be kind to yourself and put 1 foot in front of each other.  Sending you all a hug.  Xxx
  • Rona
    Options
    Good morning Katie, I’m just about to have my first round of Paclitaxel 😩, I’m scared….. more than the first round of red devil, don’t know why.
     I’m happy for you to have finished the red devil….. well done. My oncologist told me last week, lots of women opt out as it’s too much for them (can definitely understand that) so congratulations!
    I too think I either got used to it or succumbed to it 😂.
    As I said my infusions are Dense Dose so I am here for 4 hours.
    Flip side is it’s only once per fortnight.
    I’ll let you know how I go. Currently hooked up, antihistamine just taken and about to be poisoned 😩.
    Both the anti nausea and steroids are given iv this time.
    Will keep you updated. 
    Take care
  • Rona
    Options
    Hey Locksley,
    Thanks for keeping us uplifted.
    Thats great news for you too.
    Finally having people to share this “experience” with is exactly what I needed! It beats any google pages 😊.
    Hearing from Katie is great as we are just 2 weeks apart in our treatment.
    I had my first Paclitaxel infusion today and I survived. I think the antihistamines knocked me the most today (never had them before) but obviously important in the treatment. I overheard another patient today during her Paclitaxel treatment being asked if she had experienced nausea or vomiting during her last Paclitaxel and she answered NO…..oh please let that be me!! I need a break from the nausea.
    Again, thank you for your care xx
  • Katie46
    Options
    Thanks Locksley 🙂 
    Hope you are feeling ok today Rona, I feel the same, hoping no nausea and keep my appetite, which I think really helped me through the AC. The anti nausea treatment really worked for me with AC.
  • GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 66
    Options

Hi Rona and Katie46. Thanks for sharing your experience. I had my second chemo session (AC) today, and it went really well, as I had a PICC catheter inserted yesterday. The anti-nausea medication is helping me a lot. My appetite is really good, and I'm trying to eat 'healthy.' However, I am worried about gaining too much weight. The nurse reassured me that it's okay; they don't want to see cancer patients losing weight. My hair started falling out on the 13th day since the first AC. My husband cut it short using a number 2 clipper. Honestly, it's not a big deal, or perhaps I'm more accepting because of my age. And also, no drama with styling my hair. I borrowed a great short good quality wig from the Wig Library. Just put on and go. Cotton beanies are for the house. I will keep you updated if any side effects come in the next few days. Please share your experiences with Paclitaxel as I am going in that direction too. 

• Katie46
    Options
    Hi Gorgys, glad to hear you are doing ok. The nurses have suggested a PICC  for me as they are having trouble finding my small wiggley veins. I'll see how I go once I start paclitaxel. They told me the same thing re weight, but I have actually lost about 3kg, I think because I'm eating healthier, less biscuits and potatoe chips, and I'm loving fish and veggies at the moment and eating more of them. I'm off the coffee as well, it just tastes weird. I can ask to be referred to a dietitian if I want, but at the moment I think I'm ok, and try and eat a balanced diet. We have a wig library here as well, so I might go along and try a few. At the moment I'm using bamboo caps, scarfs to jazz them up, or sun hats I got from Target. I was ok with the hairloss as well. The Look Good Feel Better program runs some really good sessions on line and in person for make-up and wigs and scarf tying, and I found that helpful. You can also register for one of their gift packs full of lovely goodies donated by the beauty industry. So far round 4 AC seems to be the same as the others, so not too bad.