The “journey” begins.

Options

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,622
    edited January 14
    Options
    I've never heard that term before, @MrsMorrisey .... but here's a link to a medical site referring to it. 
    Let us know how you go afterwards!! It appears to be similar to a Sentinel Node test (which many of us had done) the day before surgery - to identify the nodes that the tumour is 'draining' to.  So instead of removing ALL the nodes for testing (like they used to in the old days) they now may only remove 3-5 nodes in the immediate area of the tumour.
    https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info/lympho

Here's a pic of Female Lymph nodes .... they usually remove 2-3 in & around under your arm.

I hope you are going OK in the lead up to your surgery - this disease mucks with your head even MORE than with your body - so if you are having difficulty sleeping, make sure you have something on hand to help - be it melatonin tabs or even a mild sleeping tablet like Temase.

Keeping busy, both before & after surgery, doing what you love doing really helps.  I just went out & fished all day, every day in my kayak!  I was out there when I got the call to attend the GP when the biopsy results came in .... and the start of my own BC journey!

Stay away from Dr Google too - as everyone's diagnosis is totally unique - and a lot of stuff on the web is old & outdated & totally not relevant to your own diagnosis.   

Write down any questions you want to put to your team - and definitely consider recording your meetings before & after surgery, as it is very difficult to remember ALL that is said, on the day.  Also, have a buddy or family member sit in on the meetings with you too, for both physical and mental support.  My SIL came with me & she asked some brilliant questions, too! ;) 

Take care & all the best!
  • alex76
    alex76 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    It’s a scan that takes 2 hours to locate your nearest lymph nodes . They give you a little injection in the breast and take pictures then you wait for an hour massaging your breast and they do it again .  
    Good luck. X 
  • MrsMorrisey
    MrsMorrisey Member Posts: 78
    Options
    2 hours!!!! 🙄 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,554
    Options
    Yes, it's a blue dye that's used.  If you use the search under Sentinel node biopsy you will see various experiences.   Mine was the evening before surgery. 
  • MrsMorrisey
    Options
    Blue wee after? 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,554
    Options
    Yes 
  • Tri
    Tri Member Posts: 63
    Options
    @MrsMorrisey regarding your surgery- my surgeon recommended a soft front opening bra be worn 24/7 for 4-6 weeks after my lumpectomy surgery. I found out later that BCNA has a kit with a free bra, so here’s the link if your surgeon is recommending the same to you:
    https://www.bcna.org.au/my-care-kit/
    I was also provided a soft pillow by the ward nurses to take home. You wear it like a shoulder bag to tuck under arm. 
    No adverse effects for me from the lymphosinctogram. 
  • nicmaree
    nicmaree Member Posts: 25
    Options
    @MrsMorrisey I bought extra post surgery bras from Target. My breast care nurses recommended both Target and Kmart bras. They were very comfortable and not expensive :) 
  • cactusk
    cactusk Member Posts: 57
    Options
    @MrsMorrisey I had this procedure the morning of my surgery.
    it wasn’t too bad. In between the injection & scan I went & had a coffee ( was still time before my pre-op fasting as my surgery was late in the afternoon).
    in the grand scheme of things it was one of the less scary procedures, much easier than a core biopsy (IMHO).
    you’ll be fine - I asked many questions during & both the tech & doctor were very calm & made me feel comfortable.
    best wishes for this & your surgery.
    i too agree with @nicmaree - the support bras were good.
    i wore mine for a good 5 weeks before I transitioned back to normal bras.
    kelly

• nicmaree
    nicmaree Member Posts: 25
    Options
    @MrsMorrisey I am a needle / hospital phobic and therefore the idea of mapping scared me. I read a lot on bcna (tried to stay away from Dr Google) and spoke to a few people who'd had this done recently. Most importantly a friend came with me to the appointment. 
    The doctors and nurses at Mater imaging were wonderful. They settled me, joked with me, discussed everyday life and talked me through the whole process. It was fine. 
    For me, it was the fear of the unknown and the whole big package of BC.
    You will be ok but if you can take a friend with you to hold your hand and just be there, that's the best advice I can give. 
  • Tri
    Tri Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Wonderful! All the best with your recovery @MrsMorrisey
  • MrsMorrisey
    Options
    Got my new bra in the post today. Thankyou@BCNA 

You were right ladies, don’t do too much too soon. 
    Did some housework etc. then thought to myself yep need to lie down 🤦‍♀️
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,622
    Options
    I think we all 'try it' a bit earlier than we should @MrsMorrisey ......

Just keep your feet up and REST and RECOVER xxx. For as LONG as it takes. ;)