New Group Proposal - No Reconstruction post Breast Cancer Surgery

Options

Comments

• Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 882
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hi all, if we are to go with the 'Flat Chat' group name, the below description can be used for the group. Hopefully this makes it clear whether the group is suitable for the person before they decide to join and inclusive for various situations (Members can also leave the group at any time). Loving the conversation that has been generated from this discussion.

This private group has been created to support people who for various reasons are considering or have chosen to stay flat after breast cancer surgery (i.e. single or double mastectomy). There may also be people who have not had a choice due to potential barriers.  There are different challenges and questions faced by people who are considering wearing a breast form or prosthesis (inside the bra or attached to the body to wear under clothing) or ‘Going flat’ (not wearing a breast form).

We welcome you to this safe place to connect with other people, ask questions, share your experience and support others who are going through a similar journey.

You may find this My Journey article useful Choosing to stay flat after mastectomy

The information and discussions in this private group are personal opinion and lived-experience, and should not be considered medical advice. You should seek medical advice by the qualified health professionals in your treating team.

TRIGGER WARNING: Photos of breast surgeries may be shared by other group members. Sometimes words or images can cause sadness, distress, or trigger traumatic memories for people. Please contact the BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258 if you need to talk to someone.

Please note this is a private group. You have to apply to join or be invited by the BCNA moderators.

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Oh well, I won't join as I am not flat and the mastectomy side is not flat either.
  • Mez_BCNA
    Options
    Hi @June1952, the above is a draft for the group description and nothing is finalised. Please let myself know and others in the thread about what additional descriptive information would make you feel confident in joining the group? For example would the addition of words in brackets (unreconstructed) in the title be appropriate?
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    @AllyJay

Amen to that! It’s the conversation that matters. 
  • Fufan
    Fufan Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Thanks @Allyjay.  Well put.
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    Hi @Allyjay, your chest sounds like mine. I liken it to the surface of the moon.But you are right,flat is flat no matter what else you want to name it.
  • Mez_BCNA
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your input, sounds like the consensus is that as long as people know what the group is for and it creates the conversation, then the name is secondary to that. We will try Flat Chat - No Breast Reconstruction. Hopefully this captures the different terms that people may search for when seeking support. I'll will get onto the group creation today and post link in this chat and share to the rest of the forum thereafter
  • Mez_BCNA
    Options
    You can find the new group here https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/29-flat-chat-no-breast-reconstruction (Apologies for the stock banner image - I have asked our graphic designer for something appropriate).

I have also asked the technical team to add it to the 'Groups' drop-down menu for easy access. For now, the group can be viewed when people click into 'Groups'.
  • Christabel03
    Christabel03 Member Posts: 80
    edited February 2023
    Options
    This is so wonderful @Mez_BCNA thank you so much for making this happen! 
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,132
    Options
    That sounds good @Mez_BCNA.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Thanks @Mez_BCNA.  Looking back at old posts I see one from many years ago.  BCNA had such a group but it was not active and must have fallen away when they changed the system 7 or so years ago.
    I am sure many ladies will have some great discussions re this complication to one's daily life.
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    Hi @Mez_BCNA, thanks so much and well done you!!
  • Active
    Active Member Posts: 14
    Options
    How do I join this group
  • Carissa_BCNA
    Carissa_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 251
    Options
    Hi @Active

Please follow this link to join. Once you select 'join' myself or one of the BCNA moderators will welcome you to the group https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/29-flat-chat-no-breast-reconstruction