New Group Proposal - No Reconstruction post Breast Cancer Surgery

Options

Comments

• Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 882
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it is a balance to try to ensure we capture the essence of the group. I will wait on more replies from others who are part of the thread.

Regardless of the title, I will ensure there is a description of the purpose of the group to allow people who haven't joined to see what it is all about and whether it is the right group for them.

All the best with your upcoming surgeries @Christabel03 @Joanne66 - You may find this My Journey article very helpful in the interim https://myjourney.org.au/article/3458
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    I don't need to be considered in the name, as I only commented on the thread to show support for the need of the group.
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    I like the idea of keeping it simple and short so a search is easy. I’m leaning towards ‘Flat chat’ or ‘Living Flat’. The group,although predominantly for flatties,can include the lopsided/half flat ladies because there are issues in common such as mastectomy surgery and prosthetics.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 946
    Options
    I don't have a preference for the name, so long as it portrays that this is a group for those who, for one reason or the other have either one breast or two which has been removed and is unreconstructed. A person who has had one leg amputated is referred to as 'an amputee' as is a person with both legs (or arm/s for that matter). Whether on one side or both, we have similar challenges such as suitable general attire, swimwear and so on.
  • Kristen
    Kristen Member Posts: 114
    Options
    Foam forms also come in open so you can adjust the stuffing, sewn closed. Memory foam and many other styles.
    More designed for soft comfort then swimming.
    I think it's harder for the  fully flat ladies who want to wear prosthesis as they ride up,especially the light weight ones.One of the many advantages of having one boob left is that it is an anchor.Here is an image I took for a support group lady to show her just a few of the many types I have in my collection.

• TonyaM
    Options
    Hi @Kristen, I think it depends on what bra/crop top you wear as to whether it rides up. To be honest,I spent more time adjusting my heavy prosthesis when I had one boob. It would gravitate over to join it. Since going flat I’m wearing soft Best n Less crop top type bras with a small padded insert to give me some contour - surprisingly they stay in place.I haven’t even bothered getting proper prosthetics.Perhaps I’m sick of lugging one around for the past 12years!Actually it’s good to wear nothing under a cotton tshirt at home in this heat.Something I wouldn’t have done when lopsided.
  • TonyaM
    Options

• Kristen
    Kristen Member Posts: 114
    Options
    I hear you Tonya.Its about the combination of bra/top ,the prosthesis and the body.Its hard to get them to work in harmony.But once you find the right combo it's good.
    Well for a little while,then they stop making my fav bra and have to start all over.Its an ongoing battle.But the first few years are the hardest until I got a better understanding of it.Sad my bra/prosthetis lady just retired,she has made it so easy for  me forthe last 10 years.Not many suppliers have the skill or the stock variety to find that winning bra boob combo.
  • Fufan
    Fufan Member Posts: 123
    Options
    “Foam forms also come in open so you can adjust the stuffing, sewn closed. Memory foam and many other styles.”  @ Kristen, you’ve said it: I seem to have spent the last nine months buying styles, and chicken fillets, stuffing, adjusting and sewing,  I’m over it: I would like to just go to get dressed and grab a bra, not spend 15 minutes preparing it.  Going flat is sounding good, and these are the conversations I’m hoping to see.  @TonyaM you seem to be on the right track.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    I agree with @Kristen, once you get the right combo of bra and prosthesis it can be pretty straightforward. I’ve had that for a nearly a decade and really no problems. After a year of a soft form (I had a large and persistent seroma that made fitting a prosthesis impossible), which floated up at the slightest provocation, a proper prosthesis was a joy. Decisions are, quite rightly, based on our individual experiences. 
  • TonyaM
    Options
    Yes ladies,you are all correct. It basically boils down to what’s comfortable and what gives you the confidence to walk out the front door.
    For 12yrs the only bra I could wear was the Berlei post surgery grandma bra.I tried others but would end up back with the ol faithful. Now that I’m flat,I’m working my way through all the $12 comfy crop tops in Best n Less and Target- a lot more choice now.There are certainly advantages to being flat. I’m beginning to embrace it more as opposed to feelings of’what have I done’! 
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,132
    Options
    Hi @Mez_BCNA
    I think Choosing to stay flat is the best description.
    if you just had flat chat you would need some extra words to describe it 
    that’s my view anyway

• Fufan
    Fufan Member Posts: 123
    Options
    I have to disagree, @Julez1958.  Your suggestion doesn’t cover those thinking of going flat, rather than staying that way.  I wonder, too, whether it would capture the attention of those wanting advice on prostheses, etc.  I think the title should be as open and inclusive as possible, although it’s clear we are all influenced in our suggestions by our own particular circumstances. 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    Navigating half flat / fully flat choices.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    "Not Under Reconstruction" so if someone is looking for info on breast reconstruction they will look at that group, but if not they will see Not Under Reconstruction.
    OR make it simple with No Breast Reconstruction as that says it all ....