No comfort

Options

Comments

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 925
    Options
    @Zoffiel and @Michelle_R I hate it when fruit isn't as good as we think it will be.  I have a bad habit of buying raspberries for baking and by the time I've got energy to bake they are mouldy and I've wasted money.  Gosh $10 is very expensive for a punet of blueberries.  
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    @MicheleR, isn't spoiled fruit a perfect metaphor for an unsatisfactory experience? Ironically, my favourite fruit is super rotten to the point of fermentation. It's the half way bit that grinds my gears.
    Hang in there. Being grumpy and disgruntled is not the end of the world even if it's not anyone's preferred situation. I loathe being lost, but sometimes that is an inevitable consequence of not knowing where I'm going.
    My day got better after I read your post and decided not to go to work. Because I really don't have to work many more hours than I'm contracted to and sometimes I need to be reminded of that.
     I've been alternating between my bed and the couch and a drive into town to buy flowers. I've read nearly half of the newest Robert Galbraith 927 page novel. So, thank you for reminding me that I'm not alone in all this and that I can, every once in awhile, pull the covers over my head. Mxx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Waiting to get hold of the Gailbraith novel.  I can absolutely empathise with many of the comments.  I don't dislike my job but really?...I can't say I care anymore.  And when someone expects me to get all fired up?  I quietly sputtered a few weeks ago when my line manager told me in my performance review that I need to not be so reactive - I know that he thought he was being supportive but I'm f*&%ing 57 and I quite like my reactivity.  I come from a long line of reactive women and I'm good with that.  Silly things.  You're right @zoffiel - when did life get so bloody boring.  What's the point of things when you go to work and then are too tired to do what you want.  I have a secret dream of what I want life to be like - just can't afford it...oh...and the kids aren't old enough yet.
  • MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Ooh do tell @sister about your secret dream. We all need to dream a little
  • MicheleR
    Options
    @sister, sounds great. Why not?
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    I think everyone finds their own way even if it might be a bit rocky at first. Work provided a great deal of purpose for me during active treatment, I was very happy to be able to work ( not everyone can even if they wish) and it kept me occupied at something I cared about so I didn’t dwell on bc too much. I had the opportunity to take on a new work challenge after 12 months - perfect timing! A four day week and a lot to explore gave me a better work life balance and a fresh start with some clearer thinking. I retired, as planned, last year at 75. COVID has affected my volunteering a bit but gradually getting to a new normal in this new world too. Only regret is overseas travel is off the agenda for a while! 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,538
    Options
    I like that dream @sister 👌🏻. I’m halfway there 😄😄. I’d like more volunteer work though 
  • FLClover
    Options
    I agree @Afraser. We just need something we love to occupy our time and distract us. Whether it’s work or hobbies, that’s up to the individual. I would love to work again, but in my case I couldn’t go back to my old job, cos it nearly broke me. And I can’t find anything else rewarding that I love, not yet anyway. But if I could, I definitely would. You said the key words though: better work life balance, fresh start, 4 work day week. These seemingly small things can improve our lives sooo much, and help in not making us feel like slaves at work. Unfortunately not everyone can find it, but I think we should fight for these things more. I’m happy at least it worked out for you, it gives hope 👌🏻🙂
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Stop explaining yourself  Life quotes Inspirational quotes motivation  Quotes
  • MicheleR
    Options
    Wow, this is a really awesome discussion. Noone has to explain but sometimes it helps to have someone to explain to. Maybe it only makes half sense to them but its freeing to share without having to filter. Everyone has ups and downs. Some of us are a bit wonky after treatment, some of us are still in treatment and in that particular version of wonky, some of us have been iut of treatment a while (and boy can we benefit from their experiences). 
  • FLClover
    Options
    It is very freeing to share without having to filter 👌🏻👌🏻. It’s also refreshing to see we’re not alone in our wonkiness. That’s why this forum and psychologists, as I’ve discovered, are so good 😊
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    I agree that not everyone can work whilst having active treatment, We just have to be kind to ourselves and find what brings us purpose.  I was doing volunteer work as well as paid work at the time I was diagnosed, and I hope to find suitable volunteer work again.  However being a bit of a homebody I am rather content not being out in the rat race.