Breast friends are vital when you’re diagnosed with breast cancer

13»

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Just saw (part of) the advert on Channel 9 for the first time!!   Well done girls! You ROCK!!
  • Sam09
    Sam09 Member Posts: 149
    I haven’t been on this forum for a very long time and read this post with interest. I joined a support group early last year an advanced breast cancer group after a rather weird interview process of three times before being told I was accepted despite having metastatic breast cancer. Lucky me .....I needed support and kind words of encouragement as I have a family that are non supportive not meaning to be they are kind of over it really and aren’t into it in the beginning or the novelty wore off. Ha not for me. So I saw this Advanced Breast Cancer group with weekly SUPPORT teleconferences and my ears pricked up finally some support others who just may get it and understand. oh wow how wrong I was. It totally did my head in and others expressed the same to me I finally made the move and left expressing the reasons and it didn’t go down very well but I told  the truth. It was a group for gifting memory boxes and start packing them for the setting sun you were about to never see. One session I was  asked how I was and after expressing I had been dizzy I was  informed literally brain mets were common in my dire situation and to have a mri. I spent that entire night frozen with fear and my oncologist organised an immediate MRI I spent two whole weeks sick with fear and when my dear doctor rang burst into uncontrollable tears on her announcement my brain was perfectly fine.It turned out it was the antihistamines I had been taking for a skin reaction to a drug I was on.  I knew then the  depressing discussions about we had all had it and who had just bitten the bullet and had their last  sunset was more detrimental to my health than support. Since one of the other members and I left the group we’ve both been a thousand times happier and healthier. It did our heads in. I would like some support but in a positive happy way because with the wonderful drugs we have these days and our ability to be healthy as we can to fight it we are all defying odds and living longer maybe even able to be that 1 lucky percent that beats stage four cancer in the world. I hope it’s me and each and everyone that has the same on here. And no one has the right to make you feel your doomed with this diagnosis. If we are told we are we may as well be. A support group should be just that. I know ladies encouragement and positivity is just what we need not people who are funded and believe they help us along to our fate and believe accepting it is supportive. Ahhhhhh not on in my opinion ......
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Hi @Sam09
    Dear oh dear! Well meaning but.........
    Positivity is the key!
    Regardless when you need a boost like minded are here to help! 
    Onwards and upwards!
    Oh yeah and whistle your favourite tune as a distraction 
    Take care and best wishes with ongoing treatment
    Hugs x
  • Sam09
    Sorry .... iserbrown you missed the plot here with my post totally. I am the most positive person in the world. The point of my post was to say not always are support groups supportive in the right way and the one I joined was the opposite. Seriously I put one  post on and your negativity and missing the plot is exactly why I don’t look this online forum up any more. wow talk about read  something into my post that wasn’t there 🙄
  • iserbrown
    Dear oh dear @Sam09
    I know you are positive and thanks @Blossom1961 for backing up my intent!
    We as the collective are here to support. The other group you spoke of, I too would've walked

Perhaps read my post again and why would I tell you to whistle your favourite tune? Something that I suggested long ago and you appreciated

Sorry you feel so shitty but do not take it out on us who have everyone's  best interest at heart

Goodness me!
  • Sam09
    iserbrown 
    again I reiterate I’m not at all shitty ....
    all good no worries.......😊

• iserbrown
    All good!