Breast friends are vital when you’re diagnosed with breast cancer

Options

Comments

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    I did just want to say again, and I think others would agree, it's not about the fundraising, this has obviously turned into a massive fundraiser due to the massive publicity, whether good or not. I think people are misconstruing those that are not a fan of this particular fundraiser, it's got nothing to do with nudity at all...I think we'd all agree how brave of any woman!! it's how the buns are used and the overall insinuation of entertainment. Just hoping that maybe helps where @jan61 and others are possibly coming from. I think and I ask all of you to think openly and objectively, this isnt a collective representation of all that have gone through BC. 

We are all in the same Arena unfortunately of having been down this arduous road, everyone wants to be represented reflective of their personal experience, with care and compassion. Hoping people can step back and be inclusive of everyone and respectful of how everyone feels. 
  • jan61
    jan61 Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @melclarity I wonder why you think this campaign is inclusive? Race and gender seem to have been dismissed? 

I has nothing to do with nudity or scars ( or lack of scars ) ...... it is the trivialisation of Breast cancer... the general public already think its no worse than a cold.... 

Until the 1980's... if you were married you needed your husbands signature to apply for a passport.... because you were a possession. Think about that. How far have we come? or not.. if the best we can up with is pink fun buns..
  • melclarity
    Options
    @jan61 I'm saying its not inclusive :) sorry you must have misconstrued what I have said. Trying to explain to everyone else that it isnt a representation of everyone.
  • Emma17
    Emma17 Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2019
    Options
    The Fun Buns/Bakers Delight promotion presents breast cancer as do-able, not too serious, you'll emerge with physical changes but 'she be right' in the end - we survived with laughs and smiles!  This is in stark contrast to BCNA's Facebook video featuring a young woman diagnosed with metastatic BC and @kmakm (not smiling or laughing) talking about how she'll be living with breast cancer for the rest of her life.  This is not a criticism of @kmakm or any of the other models, whom I admire for their involvement in the campaign.

There is an irreconcilable dichotomy between these aspects of the fundraising and awareness-raising campaign, perhaps driven by differing marketing goals and target audiences.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    There is a man in the campaign.

I also queried the lack of ethnic diversity and was told they tried many people of different ethnicities but cultural attitudes prevented them from saying yes.

Cultural attitudes to cancer are also an issue in the UK. I follow a number of women in social media in Britain who are working in the BAME (black asian and minority ethnic) communities to change this. It has medical repercussions also.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4782206/
  • jan61
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @kmakm hmmm if nudity wasn't a requirement... I'm sure I could come up with a few survivors that would have been representative of all races and genders...

a man..... what about other genders?
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I am unaware of the recruitment process.
  • jan61
    Options
    My apologies @melclarity ........ I blame the lack of coffee!
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Options
    jan61 - I used 'twee' to express 'trivial' and I have similar concerns. In our Western post-industrialist culture the female breast is 'thought' as erotic and is the object of the sexual gaze, in complete contrast it affirms infant health and sustenance, and also contributes strongly to female identity.  My knowledge of marketing campaigns informs me that finding the 'trigger' to get attention and action is a very challenging task. I understand trying to attract donations by creating a light hearted approach to a very serious situation. I am concerned that this counter-reifies the social construction of women as 'lesser than'. As Emma 17 states, 'There is an irreconcilable dichotomy between these aspects of the
    fundraising and awareness-raising campaign, perhaps driven by differing
    marketing goals and target audiences.' I hope the campaign works, funding is my main concern.
  • ~Millie~
    ~Millie~ Member Posts: 61
    Options
    I support and have huge respect everyone involved in the campaign. It does seem to be working well in raising awareness and much needed funds for the good work BCNA does. But, I also acknowledge that not all people are happy and positive wherever they are post BC diagnosis. I struggle to talk to people about how devastated I am and how terrible this last year has been, yet I wonder if people who haven’t asked enough questions expect that I too am happy, proud, doing well.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    AllyJay that is very well said like you always do..... wish I could word things the way you do... 

• CatPie
    CatPie Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the campaign. Lots of people who were a bit scared to speak to me about my breast cancer have done so since the ads were released (and Facebook banned them- that's something to protest). I tried to buy some buns a couple of days ago but they'd sold out, so it's obviously doing it's job. Good on the people who were brave enough to participate. 
    It's also a good reminder for me to thank all the 'breast friends' who supported me through this past year. 
  • melclarity
    Options
    Its always about the marketing of course wherher its reflective or compassionate or inclusive doesnt seem to matter really...oh well. That is the world over..
  • Emma17
    Emma17 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm put off by the suggestion of 'fun' in relation to breast cancer.  The 'fun' part bypassed me, it must have flown right over my head.