Breast cancer in the media

Options

Comments

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I know so many women that have not had a mammo and really aren't interested, it is quite alarming. For me the pain is only seconds, it's certainly not something that would deter anyone I don't think. Ive always been more than happy with where Ive had them done, its about the Staff not the surroundings for me, although the surroundings have been absolutely fine :) 

I do know that so many people would sooner not know. For me I probably wouldnt have been down this path if my Mum hadnt nagged me when I was about 38yo as she had BC at 40. I only did it to please her and I was a few years in the system before I had my first diagnosis which is a bit strange lol. My Mum never saw me through either diagnosis she passed away 2yrs before my first diagnosis. We have no history beyond her. You can only do the best you can and be diligent in your health. 

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Feel free @JJ70 I sometimes wonder if they'd get a better turnup rate if they treated it like getting a fluvax in the workplace.  Make it both easy to fit in the day and a group exercise.  I was certainly guilty of putting off making an appointment as I had no symptoms and it was too difficult to find the time to fit one more thing into my schedule - and let's face it - none of us wanted to think about what might be found.  (Mind you, if I'd gone a few months earlier, it may not have been found so sometimes timing works.)
  • Vallerina
    Vallerina Member Posts: 183
    Options
    My breastscreens always took place in a mobile clinic in a bus. You made an appointment and were always seen right on time. There was no baskets gowns or any of that, you just went in the screening part of the bus  ripped off your top  and had the mammo. Until i got called back i didnt know there was also  a full breast clinic at the hospital just 30 mins down the road. For me  personally,  comfort, the aesthetics of the environment ,  staffs attitude or anything else wouldnt deter me from  taking advantage of a free and life saving service. just like   having pap smears,  Nothing can make it pleasant except the thought of the alternative.  And it takes like 15 minutes every 2 years and is  then quickly forgotten till the next reminder . How i miss those days.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    An interesting study about attitudes in the workplace when cancer patients return to work.

https://www.theage.com.au/business/small-business/returning-to-work-after-cancer-treatment-20190725-p52app.html
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @kmakm Quite shocking information in that survey!
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    It’s harsh but not unbelievable. I had a staff member with bipolar for 12 months (would have happily kept her longer if it had been possible) and while her relations in her immediate team were happy and easy, attitudes from other staff ranged from overwhelmed to hostile. Some were just unable to cope with their own feelings of emotional sympathy and over association with her perceived difficulties (perceived rather than real), others were perpetually agitated that she would do something wrong and everyone would suffer. I assume it can be the same with cancer. I didn’t leave work, never looked or really felt ‘unwell’ and had a cheerful, slightly ‘take the piss’ environment (which I encouraged and enjoyed) about my treatment, so I have no personal experience of such difficulties. But it seems as much attributable to modern work pressures and assumptions, as to lack of thought or empathy. 
  • kmakm
    Options
    The second season of 'Working Moms' has dropped on Netflix. It's a Canadian show that's mainly comedy with a bit of drama.

In S2 Ep11 one of the characters, having a health scare of her own, talks to someone who is upset because a male friend has breast cancer. It's only one scene but kudos to the writers of the show to include this detail. One for the chaps @PeterB and @traveltext.
  • traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    Options
    Thanks @kmakm

Look out also for “A Million Little Things” a series which features a guy with breast cancer. 

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7608248/

• kmakm
    Options
    @traveltext Will do. K xox
  • Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    Options
    HI @kmakm, it's great to see that the new 3D screening machines are being rolled out in Victoria. Hopefully other States will quickly follow suit.
  • kmakm
    Options
    Hope so @Jane221.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @arpie,
    Thanks for your posts and links about cancer in the media.