Depression? Get a dog.

Options

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    You're both smiling!!!  What a gorgeous boy but he's a big one so best to get on to that training.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    OMG he's gorgeous!! What a boofus boy. I love the look on your face too. Time to update your profile picture I reckon Brenda! K xox
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Your smile says it all @Brenda5,happy days!!!

wendy55
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Options
    He’s a gorgeous boy
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Happy days!
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    He's gorgeous Brenda.  I love him!

I love my Dane's ( I have owned 6) and I am sure he is going to bring you a lot of pleasure.  You just can't help yourself laughing at their goofy behaviour.

These dogs don't normally grow up until they are about 5, if ever.  My last one was 13 and only slowed down 12 months prior.
    Their enthusiasm and happiness for life is contagious.  If you're having a bad day just go talk to your dog :) You'll be laughing in 5 minutes.

Sometimes it's like walking a cross between a kangaroo and a giraffe on a lead until they are trained, their tails are weapons of mass destruction and they have no idea of their size.  They do like to jump on people and I have found training them to stand up when asked (if you have strong shoulders), but never other times, quells the desire to just leap up whenever they like.Training can be slow at the start, they get distracted easily and don't focus very well but then it all just seems to click at once so don't worry if progress seems slow at the start.

I still occassionally get knocked over with an enthusiastic " I missed you and thought you were never coming home" or lack of brakes when she is running full throttle to say Hi. Getting slammed with 60kgs of dog is not fun so I tend to move when they come running.  Their high speed turning lacks a little precision. LOL

Just one caution with these guys.  No  pork, ham, bacon etc.  It can give them bloat which can be very costly at best or fatal at worst. Although I did have one that stole the christmas ham one year off the kitchen bench and was fine. I also had one that wasn't after raiding the bin after we had a pig on the spit. :(

So happy for you. He's going to bring so much joy.
    xoxoxo

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,577
    Options
    GORGEOUS!  What a big boy!!  ;)  I hope he stops jumping at you sooner than later .... you don't need the injuries!  :(

I think he'll be takin YOU for a walk!   LOL

He'll be great company for you  xxx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I reckon you could always ride him if you get tired.  Or maybe teach him to pull the yak trolley!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,577
    Options
    That is actually Not a bad idea about the yak trolley @Sister  - you could get a harness @Brenda5 that straps around his body/shoulder (similar to what they put on horses) .... just a matter of finding shade for him to sit in whilst you are out on the water!!  ;) 

Still blowing a gale today!   But at least it cools us down a bit.  I went to Taree today & it must have been about 40˚, I reckon!  It was so oppressive!  We are not used to those temps on the coast! ;) 

• Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Options
    They’re gorgeous @Sarnicad ❤️
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Options
    How adorable!!!   I love that he has a love heart on his side, and how happy you are!!  Enjoy him Brenda and give him a huge hug from me please :smile:
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    Okay ladies. Just stop it! I am getting sooooooo jealous. I want a dog too. Unfortunately it is too hard to find a rental property when you have a furry family member. Besides which, we managed caravan parks for a couple years and hubby is over dogs due to their rotten owners “fifi is so quiet and obedient you won’t even notice her!” Uh huh, right. That would explain why we had our ankles nipped? Common occurrence. Barking, nipping, off leads, pooping in playground, snuck into kitchen area. Not the dogs fault. If we ever have our own home again I am going to have my work cut out for me convincing him to add a furry family member. Even if they are so gorgeous and add so much joy.