Depression? Get a dog.

Brenda5
Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
edited January 2019 in Day to day
I have finally realized why I cannot get out of this funk of depression. I need a dog!
In 2015 I got breast cancer and finished treatment apart from hormone therapy in 2016. In 2017 one of my dogs got bone cancer and had to be put down at Xmas. In April 2018 my old dog had to be put down at a record 17 years old. Ever since I cannot get out of depression. I come good for a few days and then slither back in to despondency.

Well, I am going to do something about it. I went to the council adoption pound and I am getting a horse of a dog called Zane the Dane. He needs to become two stones lighter at the vets on Wednesday but after that I can take him home.
I am so excited! Shifting furniture to cater for a big dog and getting up early every morning in preparation for doggie walkies. I am a different person. Pics will be folllowing on our progress.
Tagged:

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you. I hope you and Zane will be very happy together. K xox
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    That's wonderful, @Brenda5  - GOSH, he didn't look THAT big in the video!!!

Pets are one of the best therapies you can have - they give you a reason to get up, go for walks, care for them - and in return you get unconditional LOVE!  

Someone told me once, how to decide who loves you the most - your friends, family or your dog ...... he said, put them in the boot of your car for 1/2hr and see which one is happiest to see you when you open the boot up again!   ;)     

• LIttleBlueWren
    LIttleBlueWren Member Posts: 88
    I love dogs but don't have one due to never being home when I am working.  Well, during treatment my sisters dog got way too interested in their neighbours chickens. The neighbour asked my sister to re-home the dog.  As I was home I offered to look after her until she found her new forever home. Oh my goodness - I just love having her, she keeps me company, I talk to her (probably a bit too much :) ) we take walks together and heaps of doggy affection.

I totally agree, it is wonderful to have a dog and they really do make you happy and love you unconditionally.
    I hope that Zane brings you lots of happiness and doggy affection :)
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Good job @Brenda5 ! That is absolutely AWESOME! Pound hounds and recycled greyhounds can change our world. For the better.

There is something very special about taking a reject into your house and your heart I don't know how I would have copied without the Chickie who, despite being the most clueless animal I've ever owned, has given my days some structure and purpose at those times when I would not otherwise have gotten out of bed. Even when I was too wretched to drag myself out of the house, she has been quite happy to do some championship level sleeping on the bed with me. Love your work! Marg xxx
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Hi @Brenda5 ,
    Fantastic news, like you after our dogs passing 4 years ago, I said never again, it hurts too much when they go, fast forward to April 2018 and it was fate that Rani our now 6 year old long coat german shepherd came into our lives from the local council lockup, and now we would not be without her, and when I am having a sad mad or bad day she just sits there looking at me with her beautiful brown eyes and its like she is saying, yes mum I get it, and then I get a big wet Rani kiss,and everything is better again.

Wendy55
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    We rent so no animals for me. My daughter suggested that I needed a companion dog which landlords have to allow but somehow I don’t think BC qualifies for that concession.
  • BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Looking forward to some photos of Zane the Dane.  Magnificent gentle giants.
    May he bring you much happiness - and less slobber than they sometimes like to share !
    Anne
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    So pleased to hear -  big it's aso important to give shelter animals a home and a big dog like that would struggle to find one. Pics when he arrives, please!
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Nothing like a wagging tail and pleading eyes to lift your spirits.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Yayyyyyyyyyyy Brenda!!! That's excellent!! How lucky  is Zane to get you as his human! He'll be cherished. I'm so happy for you both.  :)
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Show us your pics, @Brenda5 ...... with Zasne the Dane!   ;) 

• Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Oh I love dogs ❤️. Yes photos please 😊