What research should we be doing?

Comments

• Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    * Recognise that everyone with breast cancer is different.

* Stop making blanket statements about the value of certain treatments such as Tamoxifen. It isn't a cure all.

* Much much more research into why people get stage 4 breast cancer.

* Find a cure for stage 4 breast cancer.

* More research so that stage 4 drugs are less expensive.

* More education about what stage 4 cancer is.

* Acknowledgement that not all cancer patients have mental impairment.

* Actually do something. Don't  just talk about it.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,519
    Tamoxifen - some health professionals believe (and advise BC patients) that recurrence doesn't happen if you take it. 

Sadly, this is not the case with some of our members - some not only with recurrence, but now with Mets.

What research is being done on following the recurrence rate after taking Tamoxifen (and the other Hormone meds as well!!)

• kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Hi @wingman,    I agree with what has already been so aptly covered from the other members here.  My only thing I guess I would like to learn more about is being triple negative and where are we at with research on this topic and how closer we are to any understanding of it. 

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I’d like to know what we can do ourselves to mitigate the blues many of us feel from diagnosis to treatment to survivorship. I have a feeling exercise might play  a major role in this by releasing feel good hormones to counter despair.I chose to walk daily for an hour primarily to counter joint pain from Letrozole but think it had bigger impacts on my well being than just that - it improved my mental health as well.Also what role dietary modifications can make to our lives.

Also what is the position about taking Calcium/vit D supplements if on aromatase inhibitors esp if Prolia injections become necessary due to osteoporosis ?
  • smokie08
    smokie08 Member Posts: 157
    Hi @wingman as @KitKat said I would also like more research done into triple negative as it feels like we are in the lap of the gods  after active treatment has finished. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2018
    @wingman the research into how estrogen affects the brain sounds interesting. As someone who was diagnosed at a younger age and has given up Tamoxifen because of the side effects, this is a relevant topic. Thanks for taking the time to reply to us all. There is still so much that is unknown about cancer. 
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Having lost my mum to Alzheimer's disease 30 years ago, when she was only 67, the symptoms you describe, @kezmusc, are nothing like hers. 
    I took Tamoxifen for 5 years. Since then, I  have successfully completed two university degrees.
    The issue I have with Tamoxifen, is as I posted earlier, the fact that some breast cancer researchers claim that it stops breast cancer recurrence. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,539
    I agree with @TonyaM a common denominator Stress!
    Could constant stress be a contributing factor 

The other area of interest for me -what are the after effects of 10 years of hormone therapy?  Once in this regime side effects rear and some are ugly and debilitating yet we are encouraged to keep going and or try a different medication, to hopefully stave off recurrence so what long term effect will I have to live with

Thanks for the opportunity 
This discussion has been closed.