Options
2»

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Hi @BroniD I am a bit further up the coast than you at Burrum Heads and I had all my treatment including chemo at the cancer care in Hervey Bay. Previously patients had to drive up to Bundaberg for treatment so it has been a savior for me.
    When you get the biopsy, drop in to the supermarket and grab a packet of frozen vegs. Pressed to the chest it is heaven on a stick for the drive home. All the best. <3
  • BroniD
    BroniD Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi Brenda5, I'm actually up at Agnes Water but was referred to Dr Lisa by my doctor. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind. Have a great day x
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Re telling others I tend to agree with @Afraser for similar reasons. I still have teenagers at home and kept them informed each step of the way making it clear they could ask anything they wanted to know.

I am retired but have a volunteer role and kept them all informed too of the process .I just think if we were a bit more open about things like this there would be a lot less fear and  maybe someone else might have a mammogram.

I guess I also couldn’t be bothered with cloak and dagger but that said I didn’t take an ad in the paper just spoke up when I needed to.
  • Wonk
    Wonk Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Hi BroniD
    I’m 53 and living in Brisbane. In terms of telling work I planned for the worst, but expected the best. So while I was waiting for my biopsy results (5 days including weekend), I got my work up to date and worked out a plan if I had to have a couple of weeks off. I got my results last Wednesday and saw the breast surgeon on Thursday. So on Friday, armed with a surgery date was able to go into my boss with a plan. He was panicked as we are really busy at the moment and I hardly ever take leave. By me being in control I was able to reassure him (ironic I know!). Once one person at work knows, word spreads pretty fast so be prepared for that.  Here’s the upside. There’s a few projects I’ve inherited over the years because I’m competent but they don’t really belong in my area. I listed them all and said someone would have to do them now because I can’t have stress. It worked.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Well done Wonk. Getting rid of avoidable stress is pretty much mandatory at this time.
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @BroniD

Welcome to our online forum, I am sorry to hear of your breast cancer diagnosis.  You have been provided with some great information from our online community members. Hoping that you get your treatment plan very soon.

Unfortunately the link @Romla sent is for health professionals only to order sample My Journey kits.  Its not for women who have been newly diagnosed with breast cancer.

If you have the My Journey online tool, then you have the most up to date resource available.  Its interactive and provides information that you want to access at this point in time.  We no longer have a journal that is provided with the kit.  Great idea to get a notebook for any questions you may have for your medical team.

Wishing you all the best with your upcoming treatment.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Hello and welcome. One of the things I wanted to add is to just go with the flow. This can be difficult for ladies who like to control or have order in their lives. But treatment, durgetu etc often has unpredictable turns tbat we can't control so tbe sooner we just accept yjings as they arise it's actually less stressful than having a set plan then needing to make another. Flexibility and accepting is key to sanity and reducing anxiety. Kath x
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

Navigating the online community
    formerly the what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further
    information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from
    9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

How to understand your pathology reports

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/breast-pathology/breast-cancer-pathology.html

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,596
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @BroniD - I am SO sorry to see you here - but everyone here will help you thru with tips - so throw up any question that you have!!

It is a real emotional roller coaster ride - some of your family & friends will be the most amazing support for you - but some others may disappoint you too.    I actually didn't tell all my extended family - they will read about my BC run the Xmas Letter next month!  LOL   You don't have to tell EVERYBODY - just those who 'need to know' and you know will support you.  I kept everyone up to date with the one email every few weeks (usually after an appointment.)

Re the emotional bit - like you & @Wonk, I was reasonably strong & in control most of the time over the last 12 months (my husband had most of his stomach removed due to stomach cancer in 2010 & heaps of chemo, so I thought I knew the game plan)  .... but there can be little hiccups now & then that will surely test you along the way.  They won't necessarily be 'big hiccups' ..... but the flood gates may open wide!   Just let it roll .....  

Some of my best supporters (other than my immediate family and those here on the forum) were my fishing mates & my ukulele group - who were devastated when I told them.  But - I told them straight up - NO TEARS - I only want jokes & laughs & they were terrific.  My uke group still performed (with me leading them) at a big Uke Festival just weeks after my surgery & I was fine!  When I am with them, playing uke, there is no room for any other thoughts at all!!

There is a really funny thread here called 'Did you Really Say That' .... Feel free to add your own!!  
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/17916/is-that-right-did-you-really-say-that/p1
    Whoever started the thread (for the life of me, I can't remember who it was!) has since left the forum, but the other comments are still worth reading for a bit of a 'laugh'!!   As they say .... You can't cure stupid!!  

All the best with your results & meetings with the surgeons - ask if you can record your meetings on your phone (I did with some of them & haven't gone back over them, but have them, just in case!)

You may have noticed that there is a kind of 'dark humour' in having BC ..... I really do think that laughing about it sometimes just helps clear the cobwebs! ;)

Take care, thinking of you big time xxx

• BroniD
    Options
    Thank you so much @arpie I'll have a look at the link. My dad started the Local Uke club up here at Agnes Water so I know how good music is unfortunately I never learnt to play an instrument. Never to late to learn my dad says. Yes family and friends have been fantastic, always looking on the bright side but this waiting is so hard. Plus I love a good laugh. have a good day 

• arpie
    Options
    How Cool!!  Another Uke spot to 'drop in on' when I go north next year with my uke & kayak!! @Brenda5 is already on my list - and I sort of remember Agnes Water as being a good fishing spot too .... tho not sure if good for kayaks??  Aren't there crocs up there??

I'd LOVE to meet your Dad & sit in on his group!  :)    Likewise, if he is ever south of Port Macquarie, let me know!! :)   There are uke groups all up & down the coast in most major towns (and some smaller ones!)   I gave my husband his uke at 70 & he can play C, F & G7  ....... there are THOUSANDS of songs with those 3 chords!!!  ;) 

I love a good laugh, so if you are ever feeling 'down' ..... just click on this page .... some of them ARE a tad naughty - but I think they are all funny!!!   ENJOY!!
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/19807/a-bit-naughty-but-funny-show-us-your-naughty-ones/p1

cheerio xx
  • BroniD
    Options
    Good morning, I feel like I have been on this ride for such a long time now with no movement, after reading this online group I've found most peoples journeys have moved very quickly after they were diagnosed. I guess with my journey because my first Radiologist told me I had cancer before she could take my fine needle biopsy, then the Dr who did my core biopsy 5 days later also confirmed that it was cancer..... This was all before I actually received my pathology results. In a way I guess my hubby and I had time to prepare so finally when I spoke with my surgeon on 21st Nov that was nearly 2 weeks after I was first given the news by the radiologist on 8th Nov. After my core biopsy and my MRI I feel blessed that I have a size 8 stage 2 cancer and my surgeon has booked me in for a Lumpectomy on Dec 13th 2018. I have felt my breast is very tender and sore now but wonder if because I now know the Cancer is there it feels sore.... Thank you for listening. - 
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    HI @BroniD,

Time does seem to drag at the start.  Unusual that a radiologist told you that without having any pathology in.  They don't normally say to much. The sore breast could still be from the core biopsy.  Plus I guess we tend to poke and prod at the thing a bit more once we know whats going on.  Glad you have some firm dates now.

xoxoxo
  • Payne
    Payne Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Hi @BroniD, sorry you have had your diagnosis confirmed.  At least now you can get on with surgery and then have your treatment plan.  Best of luck for your surgery on the 13th.
    Sue x
  • arpie
    Options
    Good that you now have a date for your surgery @BroniD  - just the waiting can be a real pain, eh?!    Try & keep busy between now & then ..... start getting things 'ready' - A nightie that opens from the front, ear plugs & eye mask (hospitals are always very BRIGHT & noisy!) some magazines or puzzles (you can never concentrate on a novel!)  If your Breast Care Nurse has provided you with a support pillow, take it with you - it just takes the weight off your affected arm & it will become your best friend when home!!

Take advantage of any offers of help from family & friends - be it cooked meals, mowing the lawn  etc.   It can be hard at first to accept their generosity - but it just takes the pressure off YOU! 

Have you been able to chat with your friend who has had BC?  She will have lots of tips for you and full understanding of what you are going thru.  I was supported by 5 friends who've had BC (from 5-15 years clear) and they were/are fantastic mentors for me.  

Try & keep busy between now & then, doing what you love doing - try not to use Dr Google too much .... everyone's case is so unique, it could just confuse you.  

All the best for your surgery - we'll be thinking of you xxxx