Confussed and scared

Comments

• Annski
    Annski Member Posts: 112
    Hullo @Gal, although you can overdo the reading it is super-important to understand what your pathology report means. It affects totally your treatment options and choices. Until you get that you are in the dark about which way to go. Many people choose to just go with whatever your medical advisers say and that's fine if you are confident in them. Others need to know what the effects of their choices will be. Unfortunately nobody really knows for sure. But if you aren't clear, ask for more info through the nurses on this Helpline and read the various advice sheets online. It took me ages to understand how these various diagnoses determine what should or can be done, and by then it was too late to change my mind. You don't get a second chance with early breast cancer treatment, as each component affects the other ones. But as soon as you have a treatment plan you are OK with everything will fall into place. People on this forum will give lots of support and advice based on personal experience and a lot of compassionate understanding. Stay calm and focus on your own needs at this bizarre and stressful time.
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Hello @Gal, @kmakm
    Thankyou for your query, I have found some informaiton explaining  the difference between stage number and categroy number from the Cancer Australia website, hoping it answers your quesiton.  There is also a bit of information on stage and grade in the BCNA factsheet also attached.
    https://breast-cancer.canceraustralia.gov.au/diagnosis/stages-breast-cancer
    https://www.bcna.org.au/media/2140/breast_cancer_pathology_fact_sheet_0.pdf
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Interesting - my onc has shown little interest in discussing stage of my cancer so I still don't know if I'm considered IIb or IIIa.  I do know from my reading that many oncs find it not particularly useful - I'm guessing they mean in the finer detail staging.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Or I may just be making that all up (except the bit about my onc) - I don't trust my brain for anything, anymore.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Sister My experience was similar. I had to ask my BS and I think he said something along the lines of 'we don't pay much attention to that'. It's never been mentioned since. Nor by either oncologist. That didn't occur to me until now. My cancer was smallish with no node spread so maybe that's why. Dunno.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @kmakm @Sister at my first xo silt my oncologist said I was 2a grade 2. I had worked that out though as I did find a very handy chart somewhere 
  • Gal
    Gal Member Posts: 27
    Thank you ladies for your responses. I had a breast care nurse ring me today. She was most helpful.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    I just asked my breast care nurse at the time  and she deciphered the pathology. Stage 2B grade 2 was the final result.  It was borderline stage 3 due to the amount of nodes (over 4) but that the breast lesion was under the 20mm or whatever the cut off for that stage is it is I can't remember so they gave it a 2,  
  • Suzi_S61
    Suzi_S61 Member Posts: 68
    Hi Gal, you will get a lot of support here. I only joined last month and have found it very valuable for information, after all,  these ladies have been through this or are going through it. I decided to start sketching again after not doing it for many years. Perhaps try something new. It requires a bit of focus, gets the endorphins going, a bit like exercise. It stops your brain going into overdrive. Also headspace app is good for meditation. My Daughter suggested it to me. It's very easy to use and the guys voice is ok to listen to as well  (bonus) haha.
    Wishing you well and ask away on here for advice. 
  • Gal
    Hi everyone, Just an update on what has happened over the last few weeks for me. I went to see my surgeon on the 18th of September. I felt very comfortable and relaxed with her. She came across as very confident and experienced and very passionate about breast cancer etc. I ended up having my surgery on the 20th September. I was so pleased it moved at a fast pace. I went private and the surgeon worked with me to keep costs down. I go back to see her on the 26th Sept to find out results and what treatment I will need. I have a wonderful support group who have been very helpful and of course all the ladies on BCNA. I have been working really hard at taking one step at a time and crossing bridges when I have to. The surgeon was extremely helpful at putting me at ease with my surgery. I have also been in contact with a breast care nurse. Thank you ladies for your support will keep you posted.   
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    @Gal So pleased that you're comfortable with where you're at. To be confident in your surgeon is a huge plus. Taking one step at a time is a huge challenge, and if you can manage to do that, well done! Great that you're blessed with a support group. From now on, put yourself first, and take care. Fran 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,523
    @Gal  - all the best with your recovery from surgery & on the 26th for your results and future treatment options.  

Yep - take one day at a time, & take care!  Wonderful that you have a strong support network.  Thinking of you - the waiting can be quite tedious!  xx
  • Gal
    Hello lovely ladies, just a bit more info on my breast cancer journey. I visited my surgeon yesterday for the results of my lumpectomy operation. Some good news and not so good I guess. It is an invasive carcinoma size 20mm, grade 3, no special type. It is HER2 - ER - PR Stage group 1B. I am waiting now for a visit with the Oncologist to discuss my treatment. Dr said I will need chemo first then radiation therapy. My tumour was close to my chest wall but not attached so had a wide local excision, it was very high up on my left breast. Margins were all clear and it hasn't travelled to my lymph nodes which is a plus. I had myself psyched up for radiation therapy but not chemo. It was in the back of my mind maybe I will need it but was hoping not. Hope this is making sense, I am a bit stressed at present. I have spoken to my breast care nurse and wish I could bring her home with me. I also have been to The Cancer Council for information about accommodation, wigs, scarfs etc. Everyone has been so supportive just amazing really. I also received my journey kit from BCNA in the mail today, very impressed with all the information. Cheers xx

• Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Hello @Gal
    Thanks for keeping us updated regards your progress.  Understandably you are feeling stressed and most likely overwhelmed with it all.  Its a lot to wrap your head around and takes time to process.  Dont be too hard on yourself.  Make sure you write your questions down and take someone with you to the oncology appointment.  Dont hesitate to call our helpline on 1800 500 258 if you would like to speak with a cancer nurse.  Wishing you all the best.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Sounds like you were right on the border of not having chemo as an option. But better to be safe than sorry I reckon. It's no fun but you'll get through. Lots of people here to help you. When you know what type of chemo (AC-T, TC etc) you can so a search here and find people who've had the same treatment.

Excellent to hear of clear nodes and clear margins! That's one more than me. I had to have a re-excision for margins.

Of course you're stressed! Take some deep, slow breaths. It will help calm your nervous system. Hang in there @Gal. Once you get going with your treatment it gets emotionally easier in many ways. Find some good distraction, get some exercise, keep company with your besties and you'll be right. K xox