The Breast Cancer Unity Ribbon

Options
Some friends and I are trying to create a symbol for breast cancer that incorporates the ubiquitous pink ribbon, but is more inclusive of Stage IV folks and men. 

Comments welcome. 

THE BREAST CANCER UNITY RIBBON
1. Acknowledges that it is the number one cancer affecting women.
2. Raises awareness that one percent of all new cases are men.
3. Makes it clear that it is fatal in around 30 percent of all cases.

Let’s join together to ensure the world is aware of the breadth of this disease and that Stage IV research funding is priorotised. 

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I like it. I'm not comfortable with the pink wash. This is more encompassing, sensitive and inclusive. I'd wear it. Well done.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Totally agree with the above comments
  • Prime time
    Prime time Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Love the design, and agree with the above comments. X 
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Welll done I love it. 
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    Too much pink for my liking @ Traveltext. There is certainly not only 1% of black ribbon.
    I like the METAvivor ribbon: www.metavivor.org. 
    The metastatic bit is SO tiny.
  • traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    Options
    @Patti J, the black part of the ribbon is 30%, the generally recognised rate of recurrence amongst all those diagnosed.

• Patti J
    Options
    Who wants to be represented by a black ribbon @traveltext? To me black represents death!

• Patti J
    Options
    Sorry, but why don't we all wear black arm bands?
    I am not going to die just yet!!!
  • traveltext
    Options
    I do understand what you are saying PattiJ, and it's fantastic that, like my mets pal Rob, you are not going to die any time soon. But his ribbon is the reality and for too long the pink charities have perpetrated the myth that the disease is genderless and, more importantly, the inconvenient truth that people die from it. They much prefer a pink fundraising party. All the responses from mets people to date have been in favour of the black part of the ribbon, but I do respect your opinion.

• Patti J
    Options
    @Traveltext I refer to early stage breast cancer as the "fluffy pink one".
    It is good that ALL of the responses from mets people have been favourable. Just not this mets person!
  • traveltext
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. For now, this will be a ribbon aimed at political action, so we've kept it simple.

Here's an infographic which tries to explain the reasoning behind the ribbon. The aim is to ask the pink charities to be much more inclusive when they get out in Pinktober to raise funds. Basically, we need to get them to do more for Stage IV.​

The blue is one percent of the ribbon. The black is 30 percent. Many people here are in this group. Many pink charities ignore the blue and the black and go for a pink hoopla of fundraising for awareness. Not for guys, but for the gals. This is good, but who isn't aware that women get breast cancer. And why are stage IV folks ignored. Meanwhile stage IV research runs at about 8% of total research funds. This is unfair and needs to change.​

• Patti J
    Options
    Still don't like the black @traveltext. It is not at all uplifting. Are you sure that everyone that has agreed with you does have metastatic breast cancer?
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Kinda agree about the black - not sure why stage 4 needs to be on it as is a subset surely of male and female breast cancer.I saw one on the male bc fb page I liked just 2 colours.Also not a black fan as ominous plus does the pink have to be quite so shrieking not my favourite shade.Just random thoughts
  • traveltext
    Options
    I do understand your concerns PattiJ, but the Mets cancer groups claim Black for their cause in the same way bc charities claim pink, or prostate cancer charities claim blue. To get as message across you sometimes have to be dramatic and that's what we want to do.