Friday Funnies

Comments

• Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Funny Memes Exercise - Latest Memes
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    LOL .... Or post Covid, with lots of eating & no exercise ....

• arpie
    And further to the 'Chinese Spy Balloons' ....

• arpie
    How on earth did we survive growing up as we did in the 50s/60s?!

1. Our sandwiches contained leftover roast chicken; we didn’t have fridges in classrooms or ice bricks in our lunch boxes, but we didn’t get food poisoning.
    2. We rode bikes without helmets or adult supervision or bike paths but we mostly just ended up with scarred knees.
    3. Our mothers wiped our faces with spit on a hanky not an antibacterial wipe.
    4. Tuckshop was sausage rolls and cream donuts but kids were wiry and fast.
    5. Our parents rarely knew our teachers’ names, let alone their NAPLAN prep strategy.
    6. When our teachers would whack us, we wouldn’t tell our parents for fear of getting punished again, so we avoided trouble in the first place.
    7. Our trampolines were netless and sometimes hosed with water and a squirt of Palmolive for extra slipperiness.
    8. What was said on the playground stayed on the playground.
    9. We went on camps and excursions without 18 forms to be signed and witnessed.
    10. As toddlers, we rode in supermarket trolleys without padded trolley liner thingys.
    11. Angry teachers were treated with caution. We just prayed for a nice one next year.
    12. Weekends were about our parents’ social lives. As kids, we played murder in the dark while parents talked with their friends and forgot we existed.
    13. Generally, we went to the closest school, not the best one.
    14. Kids got scared before parent-teacher interviews, now it's the teachers getting scared!
    15. We got ourselves to Saturday sport and told tall tales about how the win was won.
    16. Helping with the washing up was as important as homework.
    17. Birthday parties were fairy bread and Fanta, not fruit kebabs and face painting & bouncing castles.
    18. When a kid was injured, people felt sorry for her parents. They didn’t ask what the hell were they thinking letting her climb that tree anyway.
    19. Cubby houses were built by kids not bought from Toys R Us.
    20. If you did badly in a test, you got a talking to, not a cuddle.
    21. A pocket-knife was a perfectly acceptable gift for a 10-year-old.
    22. If anyone got air conditioning in their bedroom, it was mum and dad.
    23. Family holidays came before kids’ sporting schedules.
    24. Your dad’s desire to watch Four Corners trumped your need to watch Battlestar Galactica.
    25. A teacher could put mercurochrome on a scraped knee without obtaining our parents’ permission and completing an ‘incident report’.
    26. A playdate was walking to a friend’s house, ringing the doorbell and saying, ‘Can Cathy come and play?’
    27. School excursions happened without a ‘risk assessment’ and a two to one kid/parent volunteer ratio.
    28. There was no padding on netball hoop posts.
    29. No one wrote names on cups at parties.
    30. You could offer your friend a bite of your hot dog.
    31. If the bus driver yelled at you, the bus driver didn’t get in trouble, you did.
    32. If you didn’t make a team, you tried harder or tried something else.
    33. Pass the parcel had one winner.
    34. There was one kind of milk. It was full cream and it was delicious.
    35. Meat was bought at the butcher, and was packed without a use-by date. Our parents used their noses to tell if the mince was off.
    36. Getting one present on your Christmas wish list was good result.
    37. Drives of longer than an hour happened without supplies of rice crackers and juice.
    38. Going to the shops/church/the nursing home to visit Nan was boring as hell but could be endured without an iPad.
    39. School holidays were about not being at school and not soccer workshops, art classes and pony camp.
    40. Being tired was no excuse for being rude.
    41. You had to do something great to get a ‘student of the week’ award .... Not just 'show up' at school

Feel free to add more of your own observations when growing up in the 50s/60s
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    Number 3...I used spit on my thumb...never carried a hankey.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Number 1 - in the UK in the 50s, chicken was for Christmas! Only when I came to Australia in the mid 60s, did chicken feature as a regular dish! 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    Number 14 teachers being scared 
    Item on 1pm news abt teachers fears
  • arpie
    @AllyJay - I think I used my sleeve (or the back of my hand) until I was about 10 ......  I wasn't very good at 'keeping' hankies .... and was a real tomboy too ....

@Fraser - I still remember Chicken only being brought out on 'special occasions' ..... that would have been early 60s .... and we NEVER had a turkey or 'real' ham at Xmas ..... Now, I have chicken at least 3 times a week, I reckon!

@iserbrown - something has gone VERY wrong re No 14!  :(   

• Fufan
    Fufan Member Posts: 123
    42.  We got free milk at school, but it was left in the sun until recess.
    43.  Nobody’s mother drove them to school.
    44.  We could buy fireworks, and even let them off unsupervised. (Injuries were usually minor). 

@Afraser, chicken was a luxury here, too.  My edition of “The Commonsense Cookbook “ didn’t have any chicken recipes, but it did have lamb.  Times have changed…

@arpie, some kids had a hanky safety-pinned to their clothes!

And I guess I’m the old woman here, but when I was a kid we didn’t have trampolines. And we didn’t have supermarkets.  (And we slept in a shoebox on the M6, etc, etc.)
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 690
    Number 43! is the one that bugs me. We had a walking train. Never lost anyone on the way to school or home again
    44. I loved cracker night. 
      New one
    45. Everyone knew their neighbours in the street. 

• Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    edited February 2023
    @cranky_granny I was scared of the sounds on cracker night, so one year Mum sent me to the neighbour's house who always put on a cracker night in their backyard.  I went off crying as I didn't want to go with my siblings, but it sure did get me over the fear of crackers.  These days kids would report their parents for child abuse if sent to a cracker night.  :)
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    May be an image of text that says I have my very own built in alarm clock Its called a Bladder and it does not have a snooze button Madeby by Kalminion 2023
  • Blossom1961
    May be an image of text that says THEY SAY WE LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES THATS WHY I AM MAKING AS MANY AS POSSIBLE ILL SOON BE A GENIUS on
  • arpie
    @cranky_granny-  We couldn't afford crackers, so lit a fire & threw bits of fibro (I think it was - OMG - did that have asbestos in it??) on the fire & it would explode, sounding just like fire crackers!!  ;)

I can relate to BOTH of those, @Blossom1961. ;)   Specially the bladder one  -  when I get back from kayaking!!!  And there is NEVER a loo nearby til I get home & I am positively ACHING!! 

And I am still making plenty of mistakes too!!  I blew up a small 'cooler' the other day by plugging in the wrong 12v cord .... :(   Luckily it only cost $25 ...
  • Blossom1961
    I just spent my whole day reading these from day one and then found out I just repeated someone else from last week when I was away. Oops. It was a good way to relax the day after an eleven hour long trip in a mechanically broken car that only drove in limp mode.