Here Goes

Options

Comments

• TabooGal
    TabooGal Member Posts: 146
    Options

@eastmum I will definitely sus out your thread. Onc only discussed AC but like anything, that can change anytime. I think I will do the same with my hair. Its thick and shoulder length now so will probably go for 2 inches or so all over and have a couple of nice beanies and have ordered chemo headware from ebay. There are lots of ideas on YouTube too I have discovered. Have they given you anything for your mouth? Onc told me they would give me some sort of mouthwash which I should use every day during treatment. I am going to have to warn work about Chemo Brain! And as I am "reception", would my being bald and wearing headwear scare clients? I know it can be confronting to people who have had no exposure/experience with someone who has been on chemo.

The Cancer Centre here also has a wig library too. I am also tempted to get a heap of those bright coloured cosplay wigs and have a bit of fun with them. The scarves and caps I have purchased are bright colours. If I am going to be bald I am going to do it in style!

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @TabooGal I have used biotene mouthwash and mouth spray during chemo. I now have an association with it though and as soon as I use the mouthwash I feel like throwing up. Chemo brain really is a thing - my boss jokes she has sympathetic chemo brain  :D
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Never needed the mouthwash. I used coconut oil, some of which may have been infused with Aunty Margs herbal remedy, in the evening which seemed to stop my mouth drying out. It also, I think, helped with my bowels which remained fairly regular, but terribly painful, in the couple of days post treatment.
    I don't know if BMO prescribe antihistamines along with Neulasta, they never used to. Neulasta boosts your white cell production and can feel like a total body toothache when it kicks in about day 4 after treatment. If Ms. C, whom i presume is your onc, pooh-pooh's the idea of claratyne ask her if she has any objection to you taking it anyway.
  • TabooGal
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel will stock up on Biotine. I reckon I have chemo brain already and I haven't even started. Maybe my brain is practicing?  :p
    @Zoffiel Bingo with Ms C. I was going to mention clarityne. Does that help with aches and pains? My step dad is stage 4 with no treatment happening. Whatever they are giving him is causing the mouth sores too. Did a google when I was visiting and saw the coconut oil suggestion as well as aloe vera gel or raw celery mulch (gag) 
  • Zoffiel
    Options
    I think it helped with my bone pain. Some people say it makes no difference. It costs $1 a day. Coconut oil is a bit the same, it's cheap(ish) and there is no evidence it does any harm. Can't stand the taste of it now, but it seemed to help at the time. Mxx
  • TabooGal
    Options
    @Zoffiel I asked her about bone pain and she said it shouldn't be a problem. I think I will get some just in case. I went to buy some the other day but couldn't find it. Is it over the counter these days? I wonder if I can add pineapple juice to coconut oil and have a pina colada mouth wash?  :p
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @TabooGal my dentist gave me this stuff to for dry mouth - this was raspberry flavoured and apparently u can only get it at the dentist
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    I use coconut oil, bi carb soda equal quantities then add fresh mint leaves blend up put in tub. I use a small spatula to scoop out about 5c size piece brush teeth with......
  • TabooGal
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel I wonder if it's available another way
    @SoldierCrab sounds like a good permanent toothpaste. I have been trying charcoal but it takes 10 minutes of rinsing to get rid of the black tongue! Very Gene Simmonds  :p
  • Zoffiel
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Loratadine @TabooGal Chemist warehouse has a generic brand, just ask them where it is. Don't get side tracked and buy a different chemical, even Claratyne has a couple of different formula. Some oncologists prescribe it for patients having taxol type chemo to help alleviate rashes, the bone pain I'm talking about comes with the Neulasta shot.

I don't know if they will give you that first round or wait to see how your white cell count goes. It's a question worth asking. If you know you will be having it, start the antihistamines the day before chemo and take one a day for a week.

Another thing with the Neulasta, some practices send you home with the syringe and tell you to self administer it 24 hours post treatment. If you don't want to jab yourself, tell them you will pop back into their shiny private facility the next day and have a nurse do it. Life is traumatic enough if you hate needles without having to give yourself one when there is another  option

• kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    They told me just by Claratyne.  Maybe that's why the rashes still kept coming.  Weird it was only on my left side.  Neulasta stinks! Only ever did it once and that was enough....grrr. Didn't need it anyway as it turns out.
    Just a question @Taboogal have you inquired to see if there are cold caps available where you are?  I too am at reception and it made a massive difference getting through my treatment being able to keep my hair.  

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    Taboogirl it is my permanent toothpaste these days....
  • TabooGal
    Options
    @Zoffiel I'll chase that up. Anything to help with side effects. As for injecting myself, depends on where I have to do it. If its intramuscular I don't know if I can do it. Thankfully there seems to be plenty of carparks at the centre! 
    @kezmusc I did ask about cold caps. They aren't available at this centre. Onc also says they don't work with the red devil anyways. I was up all night ordering headgear off ebay. I have been thinking about getting microblading done for my eyebrows before chemo starts and sussing out eyelashes. I have no idea how to draw on my own eyebrows. 
    @SoldierCrab I can see it becoming mine too! 
  • TabooGal
    Options
    @Eastmum Yes!  Go back and get it! So much fun. When can we find an excuse to be a lil crazy but now! It looks bloody awesome on you!