Dairy products query??

Options

Comments

• brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi everyone some thoughtful comments ...iam a home economist food tech nutritionist from way back so thankyou for input.Moderation variety high calcium low fat have been the mantra!
     What does need to be clarified is the term estrogen rich  products. While you can enjoy a variety of vegan foods it is best to not rely on products which are estrogen dense or  add soybean oil.
    For me i have MBc hormone positive...have been rereading product  labels eg  marinated vegetables now relace olive with soya oil .
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @Zoffiel You know every single post I read of yours am glued and in stitches half the time! Your perspective, attitude and deliverance is impeccable. I think you should write a book! Id love to read it! :) 

Yeah, blah blah blah, anyone tries to tell me about whats on the naughty list this week, I shutdown straight away...lalalalalala Im not listening. Complete nonsense! and we all know because of the diversity of every single one of us who got BC and the complexity of our backgrounds...x
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I've written professionally for years @melclarity . Pretty much anything no-one wants to read. Annual reports, risk assessments, action plans, grant applications and acquittals...thrilling.  I have done some non-fic editing and journalism too but my brain is porridge now. I can't remember how to spell, have lost my grasp of grammar and punctuation and don't make sense most of the time. It took five years to get my brain back last time, its likely to take longer now. If it ever happens.

Glad I'm entertaining you, its good for my brain too.

• brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Thankyou @primek for posting research info always interested cheers Bright
  • au0rei
    au0rei Member Posts: 248
    Options
    @pearl I do not have any answer but with my limited knowledge I would steer clear of the usual milk and soy. I would go for organic milk but not the ones which are heated to high temps to prolong shelf life.  I have switched my family to goats milk, written to the farm and so far they say they do not give their animals antibiotics or steriods what nots... I had hormone -ve cancer but I would be careful with soy myself. I seriously believe most soy in the market are GMO. If I do take soy, I try to get those that are from Japan (miso paste we use for soup). I do use organic soya sauce but just a little bit in my diet for seasoning cooking.

I have read about vegans getting breast cancer so nothing is guaranteed. xx
  • au0rei
    Options

OMG I wish we could pinpoint the cancer causer!  I suspect IVF drugs and HRT may have kicked me off but who knows.
    Like lots of others I try to eat healthy food, low fat, lots of fruit and veggies, not much alcohol, exercise.  It doesn't make any difference, this horrible disease doesn't discriminate!

@Hope and dreams, I did IVF with my second child and I would definitely be vigilant with check ups regarding my ovaries.
  • au0rei
    Options
    Since we are on this topic and I obviously have no answer but just like to share this that i was watching. I guess much of today's medicine is disease management as the video says. I think tackling our lifestyle and diet etc are important but this video talks about the importance of our inner life. Perhaps you may find this helpful.
  • Jenv
    Jenv Member Posts: 64
    Options
    As my cancer is oestrogen positive receptor, 75%,  i have read and looked a lot at info in regards to soy products and was told by breastcare nurse to stay away from oestrogen producing  products,  that includes chia...can't stand taste of soy anyway...also only milk i have is in coffee or porridge.
    I  don't  have low fat anything as it is loaded with sugars, still eat meat, more organic beef mince and chicken, very little processed food.  I guess really, everything in moderation and what you feel like especially when having chemo...i still love a good cheese toastie tho.
  • au0rei
    Options

au0rei said:

Since we are on this topic and I obviously have no answer but just like to share this that i was watching. I guess much of today's medicine is disease management as the video says. I think tackling our lifestyle and diet etc are important but this video talks about the importance of our inner life. Perhaps you may find this helpful.

Oops, I have missed out on putting the video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZTWNnQg9eI&t=42s

• Ellie_BCNA
    Ellie_BCNA Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hi all,

Thanks for joining this
    discussion. As many of you have pointed out, there is no evidence that women
    diagnosed with breast cancer need to follow a special diet or eat, or not eat,
    particular foods. Following the dietary guidelines that are recommended for all
    Australian adults is recommended.

If you are thinking of
    changing your diet significantly, you might want to talk to your GP about how
    best to do this, as changes to diet can affect your energy levels and lead to
    dietary deficiencies.

You might also like to look
    at the
    healthy
    eating page
    on BCNA’s website which has some useful information and a link
    to our Healthy eating and breast cancer booklet which you can order or download
    from the website.  

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,374
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @Ellie_BCNA , any update on alcohol? The new report indicates that even a very small amount may have an impact, although I note the report does not indicate alcohol causes breast cancer but has an associated effect. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Yes I saw that article in the press recently.  I don't drink however others enjoy the occasional glass.  It'll be interesting to know a little more informed research on this matter rather than a journalists take on it
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Options
    Alcohol is a Group 1 Carcinogen (cancer causing to humans). It is a risk factor for getting breast cancer (and other cancers and health issues) in the first place. I used to drink but personally have made the choice to not drink alcohol at all post bc. There is no nutritional benefit to alcohol. I can relax and enjoy myself without it.

Regardless of the finer points of any research as to whether it increases the risk of recurrence it makes sense to me that this is not something I want to worry about. I have gone through far more difficult things in order to reduce my risk of recurrence than giving up alcohol. Life is just fine without it.

But I do feel very much in the minority with this decision which is sometimes upsetting. I have received so much support for other lifestyle changes I have made but people are strangely silent when it comes to my choosing to reduce my risk of recurrence by not drinking. ??
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Deanne

Deanne said:

I have made but people are strangely silent when it comes to my choosing to reduce my risk of recurrence by not drinking. ??

Hmm!  When people who don't know me in a social situation and offer me a drink and I say no I don't drink it is highly amusing to see the reaction.  Mostly people back off and some ask is it your religious belief?  I just smile and say no I just don't like the taste nor smell of it.  I will have a baileys at the end of a conference, late Saturday evening with my fellow organisers, once a year and that's it! 
    Isn't it funny how a social interaction can have a stigma attached?  There is no fathoming reactions!  Weird!
    I'm happy!
    Take care
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    Options
    What annoys me is when people say "Go on - one drink won't hurt you!"
    My standard response now is "Really? Wow I didn't know you were a doctor? Where is your practice?"
    Shuts them up every time...