Dairy products query??

Options
13»

Comments

• Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 637
    Options

Deanne said:

But I do feel very much in the minority with this decision which is sometimes upsetting. I have received so much support for other lifestyle changes I have made but people are strangely silent when it comes to my choosing to reduce my risk of recurrence by not drinking. ??

You're not alone.

A few years ago, I met the founder of Hello Sunday Morning. This is an Australian online community for people who want to change their relationship with alcohol. He founded this community as a result of his own desire to stop drinking so much. We talked a lot about how family and friends were not supportive, how difficult it is for people to accept when a person doesn't drink, and how they will try to sabotage your efforts. The community is full of stories like that. 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    I was only ever a social drinker, I wouldnt say huge but I absolutely enjoyed a wine with a meal :) since having Chemo uuuugh I find I cant handle it as much, I enjoy it with a meal but I go months in between so my body struggles with it now. This wasn't a choice though, it's so individual and realistically its just what suits you. It has no bearing, I had a recurrence and didnt really drink, certainly wasnt motivated by alcohol or poor diet. Its just about nurturing you as an individual and what makes you feel GOOD! :) that's it...be the best you can be there is nothing more to it..Hugs Melinda xo
  • Pearl
    Pearl Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Wow...this is getting a bit off track now. My original query was concerning dairy and soy but nobody has a definite answer to whether either of these really actually cause recurrent breast cancers. I intend to pursue a vegan lifestyle as much as possible with occasional dairy products only, as I am disturbed by the possibility of there being so much estrogen (whether it be natural or added hormones) in dairy...and I will await further research into soy products. I have no interest whatsoever in whether alcohol causes cancer recurrence as I have never drunk alcohol in my life and never intend to.Thankyou to all who contributed.
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Oops sometimes these threads can go off in strange directions.
    @Pearl do have any links to what you have read that suggests that dairy or soy increase our cancer risks? Everything I have read agrees with my doctors advice to have 3 serves of dairy per day  - mainly to keep my calcium levels up to reduce the osteoporosis risk that comes with taking Arimidex. 
    I was in a study last year Women's Wellness After Cancer and as well as promoting dairy for increased calcium they advocated having 2 serves of soy per day as some recent studies have indicated it could reduce cancer risks. 
    http:/www.aicr.org/cancer-research-update/2012/november_21_2012/cru-soy-safe.html
    http:/www.aicr.org/foods-that-fight-cancer/soy.html#research

• nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    That's the nature of these discussions @Pearl - as people's interests are sparked, sometimes they can become a little tangential, but all the while still relevant! :)
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Options
    @Pearl, for your information the Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital in America has an app you can download & if you look at soy it doesnt recommend you consume soy products if you have a hormone positive cancer, it is also very handy for looking up herbs as well. Lavender products are also a big no no. 
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi @pearl the question you posed did turn into a bit of a merrygo round.
    What needs to be made clearer are the benefits of a high calcium diet for both bc and mbc people. Foods rich in calcium not just dairy products are vital to our continued bone health .Dairy sources are some of the richest source . What also is important is that if calium is to work in building our bones it requires vitaminD to do this. Calcium is also important for heart heart function.
    If we have been diagnosed with hormone positive bc / mbc the drug group AI such as leterzole will effect not just our production of estrogen but a side effect is usually bone depletion....
    So we have to increase our calcium , anti oxidant s and vitamin D .
    As well there many vitamins and minerals which aid the  immune ssytem
    so we all should be reading widely  
    I have been following the us site breastcancer .org which had some interesting and valuable nutrition studies to reflect on 
    Sometimes people can spread misinformation ...i hope that by posting questions and requesting help we will make wise choices about the food we eat.
    Alcohol perhaps is another one that has an effect or impact on estrogen level ....check out the site for comments on this
    Personally i consume alcohol in moderation and am trying to not consume every day .
    Cheers Bright