Probiotics, vitamins etc after chemo

Options
Glemmis
Glemmis Member Posts: 343
Hi ladies, I have just finished chemo & started taking a probiotic for digestion. I forgot to check with oncologist to see what else I should take. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I want to know too.
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Options
    Check with your MO.  Mine told me that overfeeding the good cells also overfed the bad cells. Good diet was best.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I didn't use a probiotic but found just returning to a diet with lots and lots of fresh vegetables (now I can taste them again) soon improved the balance in my gut. It's still a bit sensitive though. I think calcium and vitamin D are also relevent, especially vitamin D.

http://ww5.komen.org/KomenPerspectives/Vitamin-D-–-How-much-is-enough-.html
  • Glemmis
    Options
    Thanks Primek, I will check those two & also the link. That is interesting Michelle, I hadn't heard that before but I suppose you do have to be careful. 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    I was put immediately onto Vitamin D by my Oncology Team and 14 months remain on it, the other thing is Magnesium as it services over 300 enzymes in the body so facilitates cell production in conjuction with Vit C. Thats it really and a balanced diet. Digestion dont really know, but I havent been the same since Chemo and doubt a probiotic would help much as its more inflammation. Hugs Melinda xo
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    With approval of my oncologist, I take a probiotic, Vitamin D and calcium to try and offset bone density reduction caused by Femara (no evidence that I can see that this works but hey!), magnesium for my arrhythmia and Vitamin B for long term neuropathy. 
  • Glemmis
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I will check them out! Xx
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Just good food, a bit of yogurt too is fine. I take pro magnesium, vita c and vita D3. If your stomach isn't returning to normal you could have an ulcer from all the turmoil and worry. If you suspect this see your GP and he/she may prescribe Nexium or similar for you.
  • Glemmis
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions Brenda, I will talk to the GP