Here I go again

Dawnc
Dawnc Member Posts: 31
edited April 2018 in General discussion
Well here I go. New here even though I joined in February 2014 when I was first diagnosed with BC. I wanted to hide away & not be associated with or communicate with all you lovely people as I knew nothing about BC so thought it would just go away & all would turn out ok! How very silly of me. I felt like a fraud if I went to comment as I only had two tiny lumps. So after I had a lumpectomy (WLE) & all my lymph nodes removed I renigued on radiation & hormone treatment. I decided as they were saying tiny I believed they were (the Drs) being redical. So I went along my way merrily just going to PA hospital whenever they requested me for U/S, Mamo etc. This went on for four years! I had made the right decision! Bam one night I felt a lump, VERY palpable this time high on my chest wall. Long story -short , 13mm Grade 3 invasive mucinous carcinoma ER strongly positive PR weakly positive, HER2 SISH positive close margin 0.1 mm from inferior. Advised it was a very aggressive tumor. My first reaction was do same as last time ignor it. But alas after 2 days or discussion with my two daughters decided I needed to take this serious this time. To say I am mortified is an understatement as I see from comments on this site it is a common reaction. So I say without fear or favour I join this active group with a heavy but hopeful heart for some advice & comfort which I probably should have four years ago. On a happier note my youngest granddaughter is getting married on 5th May 9 days time so I asked to have re-excision done after this so am booked in for 14th may to begin this journey once again. - clear

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Hi @Dawnc, welcome back, though I'm sure you'd far rather not be here.
    Thare are a number of people on the site that have had recurrences. Was the original tumour mucinous, or are they saying this is a new cancer?
    A wedding coming up is a lovely thing to look forward to
    Take care
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    The good thing with this is targeted therapy is very effective so this time they will be recommending this due to her2 and of course hormone treatment after surgery. So  welcome to the Site and do have a read through tbe resources about the different treatments for different cancer. 
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @Dawnc so sorry u have to join us here again. Thinking of u and big hugs - it’s all very overwhelming and scary!! Xoxoxo 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @dawnc Sorry that you're back but welcome. You'll find a lot of support here. Glad to hear that you can go to your grand-daughter's wedding. Try to focus on the excitement of that as much as you can. Take one step at a time.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Yep, you will need to take this one seriously @Dawnc The whole business is scary and confronting, but you had moved past the 'It might all work itself out' stage, which is an absolute bugger.
    There is not point regretting what you did or didn't do last time--that is not going to help you now. Its great that you have a supportive family, put the BC on your mental back burner for the moment and enjoy the wedding, you have done all you can for now. Mxx
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Not your fault its back @Dawnc, sometimes it just happens. You got done what you thought was adequate at the time. Hoping at least that its all still only in the breast and not become nasty somewhere else. You still got a good shot at beating it all. Nope none of us like what's happened but we put up with it and go with what our doctors suggest and hopefully you will get much longer than 4 years reprieve after treatment this time. <3
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    HI @Dawnc,

Welcome.  No blaming yourself.  You do what you think is best at the time like @Brenda5 said. Plenty of people have done all the "right" things, thrown everything at it and the stinking thing still rears it's head later on.  So glad you chose to join the conversations.  Have a great time at the wedding.  xoxoxo
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Hi @Dawnc, so glad you have found us this time. None of us know how we are going to react when we are told we have breast cancer.  There is no right or wrong, we just get through it the best we can.  But it’s a lot easier with the amazing women and men here behind you!
    Congratulations on the wedding, what a happy family occasion to look forward to.  Jane x

• Dawnc
    Dawnc Member Posts: 31
    Thank you ladies for your words of encouragement, I am definately excited about my granddaughters wedding on Saturday week.  Irb_03 the two tumors first diagnosed were both Invasive mucinous carcinomas.
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Sorry you have to be back here again, but welcome and I wish you well.  Wonderful you have your granddaughters wedding to look forward to. Enjoy these good times , concentrate on the good ... then get stuck into your treatment. All the best. Xxxx
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Bloody hell the crew on here are great aren’t they! Bloody well said by all of you. Frock up @Dawnc get out the heels and enjoy the hell out of that wedding. It’s so awesome you have something so good to focus on until your surgery. Then one day at a time after that. Make sure you post some photos. Big hug Margie xx 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,950
    Dear @Dawnc , ditto to all the above messages and best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW.
    Ps. Is that you on the go-kart? Go girl go!
  • Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    @Dawnc Sorry that you have had to join us again but please stay onboard as the wonderful women on here will give you the best advice & support that you need. I have had a lucky road with my BC so like you, find that I can't offer much advice when it comes to the more complex ops or treatments. i had a lumpectomy with clear margins, no node involvement & 4 weeks of rad & just had ovaries & tubes removed 2 weeks ago so I have had an easy road. BUT we can all offer you love & support when you need it. Take one step at a time & try to focus on  the hear & now & what you DO know & try not to think too far ahead as the goal posts are always changing. What a wonderful occasion you have coming up so kick your heels up & enjoy your granddaughters wedding! I had my nephew's wedding only a couple of weeks after my BC surgery so I had a good reason to recover quickly. No regrets & just look forward & not back. We deal with the here & now & not what could have been. If we all had a crystal ball, life would be different. Tests & treatments are always improving so you are in the best of hands now with your medical team & together you will conquer this!! Hugs & prayers xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.