Letrozole

13»

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,710
    The view of the Optometrist is what you will have to let the EP know! 
    I had blood shot, broken vessels in one eye but never related it to Letrozole even though I was on it at the time.  We were terribly busy and I was overdoing it with regard to pushing and shoving and packing!
    Thank goodness you've got it identified and stick to your guns or maybe change EP if they won't accept the view of the Optometrist

Take care and Best wishes
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    edited October 8
    To be totally honest, I think I'd be changing EPs @GorgyS - For them to say red eyes have nothing to do with exercise - shows lack of knowledge and training!!  What ARE their qualifications?  They should be up on the wall somewhere!! 

I hope they had you wearing a thick leather belt too - cos it can cause major gut issues too - like popping a hernia!   :( 

They obviously didn't listen to/act on your concerns - and as a result, have caused the injury   :(     

Do you have a choice of EPs in your area?  If you add your 'general area' (Town/City) to your profile, members may be able to recommend someone 'good'?

take care - and NO weightlifting for a while now - or at the very least, when your eyes are back to normal ....  cut back the weights bigtime! ;)  xx
  • GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 135
    I have to look into this further. I might cancel the program. I am seeing my GP on Friday, who made a referral to EPs. I will see what she thinks and recommends. I agree with both of you, Iserbrown and Arpie. They should be more careful as they are dealing with people who have health conditions. I am a bit disappointed. Thank you, ladies <3 . I will keep you in the loop. 
  • HelenlovesSnoopy
    HelenlovesSnoopy Member Posts: 113
    I was thinking the same thing as arpie and iserbrown @GorgyS - not to put you off exercise phyiologists, I've dealt with two great ones recently, but they were very careful.  One of them was connected to a free program, sponsored by Cancer Council WA, which I'm just finishing up.  Anyway, we need the strength and resistance, only done carefully.
    Also, just in case you haven't heard of it - there is a chronic disease management plan (or often just referred to as a treatment plan) which a GP can put you on, in order to get Medicare subsidies for up to 5 allied health visits in a calendar year.  You can use those for a physio, ex phys, dietitian.  You only get some back, but it helps, especially if you hit your medicare safety net like I did. 
  • GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 135
    Thanks @HelenlovesSnoopy. I have had the referral from my GP for five assessments with the EP and have continued with two group sessions per week for 12 weeks, which I have to pay for as they are not subsidized by Medicare. I have four more weeks to go. I am taking two weeks off as suggested by my optometrist. I visited my GP today, and she recommended that I lift no more than 2 kg weights. She could not believe that I was lifting weights of 16 kg. I will ask the EP if they can adjust my care plan, otherwise, I will not go back. It’s a shame this happened as this is a specialized program for cancer patients, but I’m sure there are other opportunities for exercise. 
  • HelenlovesSnoopy
    Oh I'm glad you got the five assessments.  I just used my last one - I asked my lovely GP to switch it from ex phys to a physio as I got a frozen shoulder type thing.  I saw a wonderful, though expensive physiotherapist this week, using my last session, and discovered that I got most of the fee back!!!  So that was a win, although now I'll have to pay for the rest of the physiotherapy.  
    It's a pity all cancer recovery patients can't get free exercise classes - I'm assuming you've sussed out everything in your state (I"ve forgotten where you're located)?  My class finishes next week which is week 12.  Then I'm going to do some home gym work until next year, at least that's the plan.  I will have to be disciplined!  
  • arpie
    I am glad your GP was horrified at the weights you were lifting!  Were you 'dead lifting'?  (I sure hope you weren't lifting anything above your shoulders!)

Frozen shoulder is incredibly painful & inconvenient @HelenlovesSnoopy and it usually just gets worse, rarely better, with or without physio.  I had 18 months of physio, TENS machine, and even acupuncture - it all only got worse.   :(  That was 22 years ago, my left shoulder, which was corrected by manipulation under a block anaesthetic & took 6+ months to get full range of movement back. At the time, I couldn't raise my arm above shoulder height, & had pain even washing my hair & eating and could not put my hand behind my back! it was always aching at night.  I was told by the surgeon that it may come back in 10 years.  It had some twinges last year & I thought it was returning - but has settled down again. I had an ultrasound when it was 'chronic' and once again, it shows some tears.
    Then just over 10 years ago, I had acromioplasty on my right shoulder as it was as bad as the left was, but was a mix of frozen shoulder, rotator cuff tear & bicep tendon tear ....  so needed keyhole surgery to rectify it.  It took the best part of a year to get full range of movement back.  Even now, I do my exercises in the shower every morning, with hot water on the shoulder (as hot as I can stand).

take care, ladies

• HelenlovesSnoopy
    @arpie that’s dreadful and I really hope it never comes back and that your general condition improves.  Having to do your exercises with super hot water sounds tough.

I had it in my right shoulder 3-4 years back and after misdiagnosis and physio that didn't help, I wound up 'sitting it out' for the 18months it took to improve.

This time it's a bit different - thankfully not as bad as the frozen shoulder.  Apparently I have supraspinatus tendinopathy.  I may have set it off exercising - so I guess that's a lesson for me, I want to be as fit as possible, but have to make sure I don't injure myself getting there.

And back to the Letrozole - I think it's making me itchy???  Unless something else is causing it?  My back in particularly is itchy a lot, and when I take a bath it's hard to relax because warm water sets off the itching.
  • arpie
    edited October 16
    I hope your shoulder comes good, @HelenlovesSnoopy ... my suprasprinatus was involved as well!   Ay yi yi!  Getting older is SO much fun, eh??

Re your skin - has it actually 'errupted' into a sore, or just itchy?  It can happen, apparently (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4129361/).

My husband also got very itchy skin from the cancer treatment he was on - and we found that CORNFLOUR (of all things) really helped!!  I put it into an old Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder shaker -  I would stand him in the shower & then I would sprinkle it all over him & 'gently rub it in'.  When he got out of the shower, I'd just run the water, as it virtually dissolves immediately.  It could be worth a try.

Another friend had very itchy inflamed skin & she put Uncle Toby Original Oats into a stocking & soaked it in water & it produced a milky liquid that she used instead of soap.  

From the Macmillan site in the UK - they say:

Skin changes

This treatment can affect your skin. It may cause a rash, which may be itchy. Your doctor or nurse can tell you what to expect. If your skin feels dry, try using soap-free cleansers and unperfumed moisturising cream every day. 

Always tell your doctor or nurse about any skin changes. They can give you advice and may prescribe creams or medicines to help. Changes to your skin usually improve when treatment ends.

Good luck xx
  • HelenlovesSnoopy
    Oh thank you very much @arpie 🌷💕 I will check out all this as it IS only itching (not sores or rash) but just very annoying!! 
  • arpie
    Hubby's was always worse at night .... even if he only had a sheet on him .... so knew it wasn't a heat rash!  

Make sure you tell your Onc & your Breast Care Nurse, too? xx